Scarves Love it then leave it ,how do you curate your scarf collection?

I do wear a scarf most days from from. Even in summer! :whut: I think that is part of the dilemma. I feel like I have too much (numbers!! On noes!) but don't feel like parting with them yet, really. (But have that nasty, untidy little "upgrade loan" :rolleyes: to pay back too.) Still- the numbers are high enough that it keeps me from trying to add anything from current season (well and the prices hikes this year didn't help that either) so I continue to make the "no choice" choice right now, for the most part.
I agree with @frou frou. You wear scarves every day! Would you feel better keeping track of which pieces you wear and how often? *Then* maybe think about culling?

+1 here.
If I am honest - I really don't need as many scarves as I have. But when I go through them, each one has a plus - be it sentimental, color, pattern, jacquard, it-only-goes-with-one-thing-and-it-does-that-so-well - that it makes no sense to let it go.
What I've been doing though, is to pull the ones I might be on the fence about and set them aside, or even list them to see if they sell. When they're not in the drawer, I have a bit more room, if they sell - then well it was meant to be. Sometimes while they're to the side or listed, I have second thoughts and put them to use again. Case in point - my Puzzle 2 - I wore it in the keys on my hat. :smile:
The cost of the new scarves has put a damper on my purchases too.
Plus it's nice to have a few scarves that maybe I don't :heart:love:heart: anymore. I don't feel bad if when I wear it something happens to it… I have come to the conclusion that Coco thinks they make excellent dog nose wipers. :nuts:
Interesting! The scarves I am on the fence about go into a pile that I try to wear, not ignore. Then sometimes I get it out of my system - ya, that's a nice scarf, we can part now. But it doesn't help that my listed scarves are moving v.e.r.y slowly.

Numbers are an abstract thing ... get a new perspective , get em all out, dont fiddle on the computer
Try resorting your silks. You sort them now by some metric - new/used, pattern, fabric, color, size, in heavy rotation versus those not in heavy rotation, in season versus out of season. Well, go sort them another way ... It gives you a totally new perspective
Best explained with an example. I sorted by color but there were issues with that ... Never could find my turquoise ones - were they filed under blue or green ? So, one day, I totally arbitrarily resorted by artist. There is ONLY one artist (most of the time)
So, suddenly, I noticed ONESIES after the sort. Sorting by artist revealed that gee , I really dont like Faivre since I have only 1 of hers. My sort by size showed that my VS70s are all well worn, I really love that size ....
The resorts may reveal a completely new perspective that will help you let go, or at least provide hours of playtime
This is brilliant and it is just another reason why you are our guru here.

After many years of marriage to an economist the discipline has rubbed off on me (somewhat :P). Once the silk is in my collection I have found it easier to disassociate the financial considerations from the aesthetics. I make the decision to move on solely based on whether the color/design/format works in my collection because the costs are 'sunk' as they say in the trade. If you're not wearing it, and after due consideration it seems you're not gonna wear it, let it go to someone who will. What you paid for it/how much you'll get for it really doesn't matter once it's in your hands. I've let quite a few silks go using this metric, and without any regrets; I'm happy they're not languishing unworn and unloved in my pile.

Of course the corollary to this is exercising good judgment and discipline in making the purchasing decision in the first place ... as I am often reminded by my all-too-frequently-ignored DH. We're working on that one. ;) :lol:

Oooh and a dirty little consideration when rehoming ...
Do you have any IMMEDIATE opportunities for how to rehome ? Ex - there is a new consignment place in town, let me consign a couple and try it out. You work with a trusted consignor that will accept whatever whenever you have something ...There is a scarf meetup in town, might be able to rehome then ... etc
I have learned NEVER to pass up an opportunity - they are relatively infrequent. I always make an effort to cull then. MOTIVATION to get off the dime
Typically, the ones that I cull are appropriate for the rehoming opportunity. Ex: a new consignment place - ooh, give them something that I wont cry about if they sell too low or wrinkle it up. If I have a BN tagged grail, it does not go to a local consignor, might be offered to scarfies
So, my culls always seem to be dependent on how & when I might rehome them.

Last edited:
After many years of marriage to an economist the discipline has rubbed off on me (somewhat :P). Once the silk is in my collection I have found it easier to disassociate the financial considerations from the aesthetics. I make the decision to move on solely based on whether the color/design/format works in my collection because the costs are 'sunk' as they say in the trade. If you're not wearing it, and after due consideration it seems you're not gonna wear it, let it go to someone who will. What you paid for it/how much you'll get for it really doesn't matter once it's in your hands. I've let quite a few silks go using this metric, and without any regrets; I'm happy they're not languishing unworn and unloved in my pile.

Of course the corollary to this is exercising good judgment and discipline in making the purchasing decision in the first place ... as I am often reminded by my all-too-frequently-ignored DH. We're working on that one. ;) :lol:

Suitable for framing with my other proverbs.

Oooh and a dirty little consideration when rehoming ...
Do you have any IMMEDIATE opportunities for how to rehome ? Ex - there is a new consignment place in town, let me consign a couple and try it out. You work with a trusted consignor that will accept whatever whenever you have something ...There is a scarf meetup in town, might be able to rehome then ... etc
I have learned NEVER to pass up an opportunity - they are relatively infrequent. I always make an effort to cull then. MOTIVATION to get off the dime
Typically, the ones that I cull are appropriate for the rehoming opportunity. Ex: a new consignment place - ooh, give them something that I wont cry about if they sell too low or wrinkle it up. If I have a BN tagged grail, it does not go to a local consignor, might be offered to scarfies
So, my culls always seem to be dependent on how & when I might rehome them.

I probably need a DM on the etiquette of offering to fellow scarfies as there’s a TPF line to avoid crossing.
I do have a short list of people who’ve expressed interest in a particular design/grail, and I would like to notify them first should I ever decide to let go of one like it.

If you’re anticipating a significant lo$$, however abstract per @textilegirl good advice, it’s a double whammy to have to first list online and pay the commission when sold to a contact already known.

I probably need a DM on the etiquette of offering to fellow scarfies as there’s a TPF line to avoid crossing.
I do have a short list of people who’ve expressed interest in a particular design/grail, and I would like to notify them first should I ever decide to let go of one like it.

If you’re anticipating a significant lo$$, however abstract per @textilegirl good advice, it’s a double whammy to have to first list online and pay the commission when sold to a contact already known.
Well, I was thinking of in-person meet-and-greets rather than online correspondence. It is not about business, it is about rehoming, if that makes sense, not much about getting every last dime that you paid. Kinda sorta outside TPF
My experience: people get together, lunch, beverages, everyone brings stuff. Some HS are strictly show & tell, not for sale. Others are up for grabs - work out something. Scarf changes hands that day. No shipping. Scarf trades are popular - no money changes hands. Everybody knows each other but newbies are OK. Cash is a good thing.
It is kind of more about friends & the fun of the hunt and serendipity rather than worry for the bottom line

This is such great advice!:flowers:

Yes ! what you paid for it is water under the bridge ...
Not that everyone would agree with that ... esp if you paid like $800 for a grail 90cm ... but your point is perfect , one should have discipline in the purchasing decision

Well, I was thinking of in-person meet-and-greets rather than online correspondence. It is not about business, it is about rehoming, if that makes sense, not much about getting every last dime that you paid. Kinda sorta outside TPF
My experience: people get together, lunch, beverages, everyone brings stuff. Some HS are strictly show & tell, not for sale. Others are up for grabs - work out something. Scarf changes hands that day. No shipping. Scarf trades are popular - no money changes hands. Everybody knows each other but newbies are OK. Cash is a good thing.
It is kind of more about friends & the fun of the hunt and serendipity rather than worry for the bottom line

Obviously, I need local H friends :biggrin:
Oddly, the only time I see other women in scarves is at hubbie’s oncologists’ offices...:confused1:

BTW: acknowledging the double whammy doesn’t automatically mean sticking stubbornly to a bottom line. :flowers:
Goodwill is good ROI.

And you don't have to take pictures. I get soooo tired of that.