What perfume are you buying next?

Ambre Nuit, definitely.

Cuir Cannage is wonderful and one of the less heralded of the line. Unfortunately, though, US distribution of it was pulled about a year and a half ago, so it will be hard to find even to simply test. Any stores that happen to have it now only have it because it's old stock. Once what is in US stores is gone, it's gone, and the only way you'll get it is if you get it from abroad. That's a big reason why I bought mine last November. It was one of the few bottles left in all of Saks' inventory.

The next two that I think are worth checking out are Oud Ispahan and Feve Delicieuse. Oud Ispahan is a great oud and rose and it's not an offensive oud by any means. Feve Delicieuse is awesome: spicy tonka bean. I originally thought it was too sweet, but it wears very well and has enough spice to it to temper the sweetness. I'm afraid that if another fragrance is pulled from the US market, it will be Feve Delicieuse.

Leather Oud and Patchouli Imperial are also worth checking out, though both have been pulled from the US market this year. You might still find them in stores. Leather Oud is perhaps the most challenging of the line, and a lot of people find it to be way too difficult. Honestly, it grosses out a lot of people. I think it's not bad, though. Patchouli Imperial is very nice and not at all a dirty, hippy patchouli.

I would also look at New Look 1947, Gris Dior, and Grand Bal (I did hear Grand Bal might have been discontinued).

Those are all older fragrances from the line. The newer ones are nice, but they're very sheer and light, and a lot of the people who have been fans of the line have been very disappointed by them. Sheer and light fragrances seem to be a trend right now--perhaps driven by the Asian market--and it's fine if Dior wants to make more of them. I just wish they weren't pulling the older ones and keeping them limited to overseas. The newer fragrances to the line also seem to be a lot safer, which is too bad, because the line was so much better when Dior was being bolder. So few of the new fragrances to their exclusive line have much distinction, and they keep putting out different versions of Sauvage, which is completely disgusting.

If you go overseas, I'd suggest you check out Mitzah, Eau Noire, Vetiver, Granville, and Santal Noir. The first four are only available in Paris. I have a tiny, tiny bit of Mitzah, and it's so hard to get that I'm afraid to wear it. EVERYONE seems to love that one, though.
Wow, it sounds like a lot of these are more easily available overseas than here in the US? That is puzzling, why are they limiting distribution over here? I mean, you would think they would want to have a wider market, especially over here. Anyway, clearly, I am late to the party, especially where some of these perfumes are concerned.

Thank you for the descriptions of these fragrances; I now have a little list of what I'd like to try. Bois d'Argent sounds lovely. And so does Feve Delicieuse. I don't mind a hint of sweetness in some of my winter fragrances. I just can't do sweet in the warmer months, but I'm fine with wearing some perfumes with a trace of sweetness in winter.

I put Oud Ispahan on my list as well, but I think I will skip Leather Oud. My tolerance for oud in general has increased over the last few months but overall, I still prefer if it doesn't play a prominent role in the perfumes I wear. In any case, it sounds like it would be hard to find. My travel plans are still in the very early planning stage, but it will be closer to the holidays, when I will be visiting my brother and his family. By then, many of these may not even be available anymore!

The trend for sheer and light fragrances seems to everywhere, including here in the States. I agree, I wish that companies would keep the more complex perfumes for the people that want them, and then they can also make the light fragrances for those that prefer to buy them.

Reactions: Sheikha Latifa
I agree with ultravisitor. They are all so different and you may prefer something that they wouldn’t put in their set. My faves are Ambre Nuit, Mitzah, Feuve Deliceuse and Santal Noire. I was waiting for the cherry and spice smells but was not impressed by either. And definitely no oud for me. Although, if you like your Guerlain oud, you may find Dior nice as well. In our perfume shop they also sell shower gels so I bought matching gels for all my favourite smells. Paradise!
Thank you, yes, I am not getting the discovery set. And I also decided to skip getting the full bottle of Encens Mythique d'Orient since I am not absolutely sure about that one. I actually prefer the amount that comes out of the small sample spray so I might just get another sample for now. With most of my perfumes, I usually only spray about four to five sprays, sometimes even less depending on the perfume, so it takes me forever to even use up a quarter of a bottle. Anyway, a large bottle of this Guerlain might just be too much for me. It would be nice if they offered smaller sized bottles.

Last edited:
Wow, it sounds like a lot of these are more easily available overseas than here in the US? That is puzzling, why are they limiting distribution over here? I mean, you would think they would want to have a wider market, especially over here.
Well, it is their exclusive line, so I understand the limited distribution. I do prefer that to the total market saturation approach that Tom Ford takes with his (rather overrated) private blends. I just wish that the distribution wasn't SO limited that you have to go to Paris just to acquire some of them.

Overseas markets also have these in 40ml bottles. I really wish we had those, too, and that's the size I grabbed for Santal Noir when I was abroad last month. 125ml is the smallest we have, and I really don't need that much at this point.

Well, it is their exclusive line, so I understand the limited distribution. I do prefer that to the total market saturation approach that Tom Ford takes with his (rather overrated) private blends. I just wish that the distribution wasn't SO limited that you have to go to Paris just to acquire some of them.

Overseas markets also have these in 40ml bottles. I really wish we had those, too, and that's the size I grabbed for Santal Noir when I was abroad last month. 125ml is the smallest we have, and I really don't need that much at this point.
Yeah, I understand the need for limited distribution; Chanel does this too. But it would be nice if maybe the SA's had the ability to place special orders for customers here that wanted them. Oh well, maybe I will just have to plan a trip to Paris sometime!:lol: I was there several years ago but was more into sight-seeing, and gave myself very little time to check out the stores.

I would get a 100 ml bottle if I really, truly loved the fragrance and that was the only size available. But other than that, I think 30 ml to 50 ml is just perfect!

Yeah, I understand the need for limited distribution; Chanel does this too. But it would be nice if maybe the SA's had the ability to place special orders for customers here that wanted them. Oh well, maybe I will just have to plan a trip to Paris sometime!:lol: I was there several years ago but was more into sight-seeing, and gave myself very little time to check out the stores.

I would get a 100 ml bottle if I really, truly loved the fragrance and that was the only size available. But other than that, I think 30 ml to 50 ml is just perfect!
I have around 2 litres of Dior perfume and there is not enough life left to use it all up :smile:
I wish they had smaller bottles

I have around 2 litres of Dior perfume and there is not enough life left to use it all up :smile:
I wish they had smaller bottles
I have 250ml of Bois d'Argent alone. I thought it made sense when I bought it because it's such a versatile fragrance, but now I realize I'll probably never finish it because of all that I have.

From now on, I think I'm gonna try to stick to the 40ml bottles from Dior. I'll just have to wait to buy them when I'm overseas.

I have 250ml of Bois d'Argent alone. I thought it made sense when I bought it because it's such a versatile fragrance, but now I realize I'll probably never finish it because of all that I have.

From now on, I think I'm gonna try to stick to the 40ml bottles from Dior. I'll just have to wait to buy them when I'm overseas.
I know! I loved Mitzah and decided to get another bottle when I heard that they were being discontinued. Now I own half a litre sbcan not even using it