What perfume are you buying next?

I'm planning to get these perfumes in the near future:

Guerlain Vol de Nuit parfum, current version: Given the price point on this, I have to first sample this one which means I have to call around and see where it is available to test.
The Discovery Set from Maison Christian Dior: I had assumed that there was a Dior boutique here in Michigan where I could test these perfumes, but that is not the case. So I am just going to order the discovery set online.
Guerlain Encens Mythique d'Orient: I have really enjoyed my sample of this one, and am trying to decide if I should get another sample or just get the large bottle.
I am also still sampling a few from Frederic Malle and will get at least one or two perfumes once my samples are finished.
And I am going to try to be good and not buy any more perfume after these purchases!

The Discovery Set from Maison Christian Dior: I had assumed that there was a Dior boutique here in Michigan where I could test these perfumes, but that is not the case. So I am just going to order the discovery set online.
Just an FYI: I don't think it's a very good set. Most of the best ones aren't included. I don't know how or why some of the ones included were chosen because I don't think the set really gives a good look at the line.

Last edited:
Just an FYI: I don't think it's a very good set. Most of the best ones aren't included. I don't know how or why some of the ones included were chosen because I don't think the set really gives a good look at the line.
Well, I haven't placed the order yet, so that's a good thing!:smile: Frankly, I am not the biggest fan of discovery sets, especially after my experience with purchasing the Maison Francis Kurkdjian discovery set. Usually, with discovery sets, you always end up with at least a few fragrances that are not preferred. With the Kurkdjian set though, I think it was more about something in the base of all the perfumes that bothered me.

On the flip side, sometimes, discovery sets are the only way to test fragrances that are not easily available to sample. I wish companies would let you choose your scents and customize the discovery sets. Which ones would you recommend are the best to test from the Dior line? I already know I want to test Ambre Nuit and Cuir Cannage.

I think I will talk to the Dior SA at the Saks here and see if they can get me some samples. I might be travelling later this year so I could always wait until then. I mean, I have more than enough perfume bottles, not to mention a backlog of samples to last me until then. :smile:

Reactions: Sheikha Latifa
Which ones would you recommend are the best to test from the Dior line? I already know I want to test Ambre Nuit and Cuir Cannage.
Ambre Nuit, definitely.

Cuir Cannage is wonderful and one of the less heralded of the line. Unfortunately, though, US distribution of it was pulled about a year and a half ago, so it will be hard to find even to simply test. Any stores that happen to have it now only have it because it's old stock. Once what is in US stores is gone, it's gone, and the only way you'll get it is if you get it from abroad. That's a big reason why I bought mine last November. It was one of the few bottles left in all of Saks' inventory.

The next two that I think are worth checking out are Oud Ispahan and Feve Delicieuse. Oud Ispahan is a great oud and rose and it's not an offensive oud by any means. Feve Delicieuse is awesome: spicy tonka bean. I originally thought it was too sweet, but it wears very well and has enough spice to it to temper the sweetness. I'm afraid that if another fragrance is pulled from the US market, it will be Feve Delicieuse.

Leather Oud and Patchouli Imperial are also worth checking out, though both have been pulled from the US market this year. You might still find them in stores. Leather Oud is perhaps the most challenging of the line, and a lot of people find it to be way too difficult. Honestly, it grosses out a lot of people. I think it's not bad, though. Patchouli Imperial is very nice and not at all a dirty, hippy patchouli.

I would also look at New Look 1947, Gris Dior, and Grand Bal (I did hear Grand Bal might have been discontinued).

Those are all older fragrances from the line. The newer ones are nice, but they're very sheer and light, and a lot of the people who have been fans of the line have been very disappointed by them. Sheer and light fragrances seem to be a trend right now--perhaps driven by the Asian market--and it's fine if Dior wants to make more of them. I just wish they weren't pulling the older ones and keeping them limited to overseas. The newer fragrances to the line also seem to be a lot safer, which is too bad, because the line was so much better when Dior was being bolder. So few of the new fragrances to their exclusive line have much distinction, and they keep putting out different versions of Sauvage, which is completely disgusting.

If you go overseas, I'd suggest you check out Mitzah, Eau Noire, Vetiver, Granville, and Santal Noir. The first four are only available in Paris. I have a tiny, tiny bit of Mitzah, and it's so hard to get that I'm afraid to wear it. EVERYONE seems to love that one, though.

Reactions: Purses & Perfumes
Well, I haven't placed the order yet, so that's a good thing!:smile: Frankly, I am not the biggest fan of discovery sets, especially after my experience with purchasing the Maison Francis Kurkdjian discovery set. Usually, with discovery sets, you always end up with at least a few fragrances that are not preferred. With the Kurkdjian set though, I think it was more about something in the base of all the perfumes that bothered me.

On the flip side, sometimes, discovery sets are the only way to test fragrances that are not easily available to sample. I wish companies would let you choose your scents and customize the discovery sets. Which ones would you recommend are the best to test from the Dior line? I already know I want to test Ambre Nuit and Cuir Cannage.

I think I will talk to the Dior SA at the Saks here and see if they can get me some samples. I might be travelling later this year so I could always wait until then. I mean, I have more than enough perfume bottles, not to mention a backlog of samples to last me until then. :smile:
I agree with ultravisitor. They are all so different and you may prefer something that they wouldn’t put in their set. My faves are Ambre Nuit, Mitzah, Feuve Deliceuse and Santal Noire. I was waiting for the cherry and spice smells but was not impressed by either. And definitely no oud for me. Although, if you like your Guerlain oud, you may find Dior nice as well. In our perfume shop they also sell shower gels so I bought matching gels for all my favourite smells. Paradise!

Reactions: Purses & Perfumes