Mahina Hina Magnet repair

I just got a call from LV stating my bag was deemed defective so I get a credit. I went ahead and ordered another of the exact same - a black mahina hina MM tote. I debated whether to order a capucine, but I think it is less practical. So many choices - it was a tough decision!!
Can you share any cons with this Hina bag? I’m stuck deciding between the Hina and the LV Lockme cabas.
I wouldn’t have such a difficult time deciding if the Hina had a side pocket for easy access to my keys and phone.
Thank you

Although there is no side pocket for the phone, it does come with a pouch. It is like a leather version of a neverfull, I suppose. I will try to take some modeling shots later when I am not in workout gear.
I never knew about the lockme cabas, but I just looked it up and it is a very nice bag. The con to that bag would be you cannot cinch the sides in and make it look smaller the way you can with the hina. Also, the hina is extremely lightweight. It appears that the lockme cabas may be difficult to find unless you are going the pre-loved route.

Can you share any cons with this Hina bag? I’m stuck deciding between the Hina and the LV Lockme cabas.
I wouldn’t have such a difficult time deciding if the Hina had a side pocket for easy access to my keys and phone.
Thank you

Last edited:
Thank you for your response. The pouch is nice but it’s an extra step to have to unzip it . Still love it though and I am leaning towards the Hina. The Hina appears softer and less structured.
Your pictures of the 2 Hinas are beautiful!

Thank you for your response. The pouch is nice but it’s an extra step to have to unzip it . Still love it though and I am leaning towards the Hina. The Hina appears softer and less structured.
Your pictures of the 2 Hinas are beautiful!

I would have to get the Lockme cabas preloved but there is a similar LV available, the Lockme go but I do not really like this one.
I do like the Hina more but for the price, I can’t help but wonder if I’d be better off with a Chanel or Hermes...decisions...

Yes that’s true a Chanel might cost the same or less. A good Hermès like a Birkin or Kelly would cost double though ($8-$12,000). I do love their perforated leather of the Mahina Hina though. So lightweight, elegant, classy, and versatile. I still need to post mod shots, but I’m at work in scrubs for the weekend/holiday, so will have to wait til next week.

I would have to get the Lockme cabas preloved but there is a similar LV available, the Lockme go but I do not really like this one.
I do like the Hina more but for the price, I can’t help but wonder if I’d be better off with a Chanel or Hermes...decisions...

Yes that’s true a Chanel might cost the same or less. A good Hermès like a Birkin or Kelly would cost double though ($8-$12,000). I do love their perforated leather of the Mahina Hina though. So lightweight, elegant, classy, and versatile. I still need to post mod shots, but I’m at work in scrubs for the weekend/holiday, so will have to wait til next week.

I agree, I love that it’s lightweight and versatile. Also, the Hina seems more practical for everyday unlike the Chanel and super-lightweight compared to the Hermes Kelly & Birkin.
I’ve decided against the Lockme because it appears to be more structured than the Hina and I like that Hina will soften..
Thank you for your help. I’ve decided to purchase the Hina in black.

Thanks, I really like your pictures. The bag and size look great on you and I love your outfit and shoes with the Hermes belt.
The LV store had to order it and it should arrive by the end of the week.
I still wonder if having no side pocket for quick and easy access to my phone and keys would work for me. But your pictures make me want to forget about this issue.
Thank you for the pictures

Thanks, I really like your pictures. The bag and size look great on you and I love your outfit and shoes with the Hermes belt.
The LV store had to order it and it should arrive by the end of the week.
I still wonder if having no side pocket for quick and easy access to my phone and keys would work for me. But your pictures make me want to forget about this issue.
Thank you for the pictures

Oh gawrsh, thank you. I had to be somewhere in a rush and literally threw on a very old faded t-shirt and old jeans that I had cut off the hem rather than sew, before that was even in style. I took the photo late this eve after I had returned home. A Hermès belt and the Hermès Kelly bag that I carried today just bring anything together.

Reactions: bagaholic1
Oh gawrsh, thank you. I had to be somewhere in a rush and literally threw on a very old faded t-shirt and old jeans that I had cut off the hem rather than sew, before that was even in style. I took the photo late this eve after I had returned home. A Hermès belt and the Hermès Kelly bag that I carried today just bring anything together.

I agree about the Hermes Kelly and belt bringing anything and everything together. I don’t use the Kelly much and prefer easier to use bags but it’s still my favorite.
The Hina is beautiful and practical and looks great on you

Reactions: gettinpurseonal
I’ve had my hina for about 5 months and still love it. It’s so lightweight. I use the attached pouch as a side pocket for my keys and phone. I leave it open and standing on the side. My other items keep it upright and it works great. So glad, I purchased it!

Does anyone know what year they started to make the magnet bigger? I’m looking at some preloved Hina MMs and they are early 2019. Was the magnet already fixed by this time? I don’t want to buy one preloved and then go through the hassle of going to LV and hoping they will exchange the magnet for me. Any info would be great. Thx!

I purchased the LV Hina towards the end of 2019 when the magnet closure was no longer an issue.
I still love it and use everyday to work.
I use an open pouch inside the bag that makes it very easy to access my keys and other items.