Travel LONDON! tips - questions - advice

My 2 favourite hotels are the Athaeneum and The Langham. The former is a boutique hotel (got engaged there!) opposite the Ritz. The Langham is much more regal and a grand dame but not as stuffy and the Dorchester or the Ritz. The Langham bar has been consistently voted one of the best in the world, their drinks are truly one of a kind. Another favourite of mine that exudes pure class, but unfortunately have never stayed there, is The Connaught on Mount St. Their bar (and toilets) are also world class. The Corinthia also gets good reviews but in my opinion not in the greatest location. Hope this helps!

Reactions: KPB
I’ve never been to London but might make a stop on the way home for 3 days. What would you suggest a couple with their 20 month old daughter do in 3 days? Are they’d strict about bringing minors to pubs? Asking because sometimes we like to have one drink (not get sloshed) together and then continue exploring.

I’ve never been to London but might make a stop on the way home for 3 days. What would you suggest a couple with their 20 month old daughter do in 3 days? Are they’d strict about bringing minors to pubs? Asking because sometimes we like to have one drink (not get sloshed) together and then continue exploring.
I thought London with a stroller is a pain

I'm hoping to pick up Chanel, LV, Dior bags and shoes. Where should I stay? Marylebone or Mayfair? Any hotel recs or tips for a first-time visitor to London. I'm very excited. 3 days away from the kids! Going SOLO! Any general tips also appreciated. If this isn't the right thread/forum, would you please suggested a better place to post this? TYIA!

I'm hoping to pick up Chanel, LV, Dior bags and shoes. Where should I stay? Marylebone or Mayfair? Any hotel recs or tips for a first-time visitor to London. I'm very excited. 3 days away from the kids! Going SOLO! Any general tips also appreciated. If this isn't the right thread/forum, would you please suggested a better place to post this? TYIA!

Welcome to London! I would say for nearby shopping it's best to stay in Mayfair or Knightsbridge. I prefer shopping in the Knightsbridge area (I am a loyal Harrods shopper for the points!) and I find Mayfair can be a bit busier to shop around as it has some of the Oxford Street crowds. I also find the Knightsbridge/Chelsea/Sloane Square area nice to walk around. I live in Belgravia and have multiple Chanel stores all within walking distance and I much prefer walking than the tube or a taxi - our traffic can be awful! Not sure where you're flying in from but I'd also recommend Heathrow Terminal 3 and 5 for shopping. Terminal 5 is especially good but it's exclusive to British Airways/One World alliance airlines and you only get the duty-free price when flying out of the EU. I pick up nearly all my non-classic Chanel items there tax-free when I'm flying out of London.

Not sure what your budget is for hotels but one of my favourites is The Berkeley for the rooftop pool, spa and the Blue Bar. I also love Claridges, Bulgari, Mandarin Oriental, The Goring and The Connaught. The Rosewood is also lovely but the location isn't great for shopping.

Let me know if you want any other recommendations!

Welcome to London! I would say for nearby shopping it's best to stay in Mayfair or Knightsbridge. I prefer shopping in the Knightsbridge area (I am a loyal Harrods shopper for the points!) and I find Mayfair can be a bit busier to shop around as it has some of the Oxford Street crowds. I also find the Knightsbridge/Chelsea/Sloane Square area nice to walk around. I live in Belgravia and have multiple Chanel stores all within walking distance and I much prefer walking than the tube or a taxi - our traffic can be awful! Not sure where you're flying in from but I'd also recommend Heathrow Terminal 3 and 5 for shopping. Terminal 5 is especially good but it's exclusive to British Airways/One World alliance airlines and you only get the duty-free price when flying out of the EU. I pick up nearly all my non-classic Chanel items there tax-free when I'm flying out of London.

Not sure what your budget is for hotels but one of my favourites is The Berkeley for the rooftop pool, spa and the Blue Bar. I also love Claridges, Bulgari, Mandarin Oriental, The Goring and The Connaught. The Rosewood is also lovely but the location isn't great for shopping.

Let me know if you want any other recommendations!
Thank you very much! All of this is super helpful! I definitely prefer the walking experience. I have been gathering information from blogs and I read about the DF shopping at LHR before I return to San Francisco. I'm interested in using the personal shoppers there. It seems that they're very helpful with gathering items and helping you get around to various terminals if that's needed. I also read that Chanel classics are not at LHR! Should I get shoes in the city or also at the airport? I don't know if they have classic black and beige slingback and flats. I'll take a look at the hotels and areas you recommended. Do you recommend any particular SA at Chanel, LV or Dior? I would also love a SA at either Harrod's or Selfridges. The one bag max at Chanel is such a bummer, but I'm excited to get one that's difficult to find in the US. Cheers!

Thank you very much! All of this is super helpful! I definitely prefer the walking experience. I have been gathering information from blogs and I read about the DF shopping at LHR before I return to San Francisco. I'm interested in using the personal shoppers there. It seems that they're very helpful with gathering items and helping you get around to various terminals if that's needed. I also read that Chanel classics are not at LHR! Should I get shoes in the city or also at the airport? I don't know if they have classic black and beige slingback and flats. I'll take a look at the hotels and areas you recommended. Do you recommend any particular SA at Chanel, LV or Dior? I would also love a SA at either Harrod's or Selfridges. The one bag max at Chanel is such a bummer, but I'm excited to get one that's difficult to find in the US. Cheers!

You're correct - no classic bags at Heathrow but they do have a good selection of shoes in T5 including slingbacks and flats. By classic they mean no classic flaps or reissues. They do however have minis and occasionally they will have a seasonal classic flap or reissue such as the gold croc classic flap they had in 19a. The Heathrow thread on here is quite helpful as people passing through update it with stock info. The personal shoppers can also find out stock for you 48 hours before your flight. LV and Sior at LHR stock everything. The Dior website even says what's in stock at Heathrow when you look at a particular item and do a stock check.

I will DM you my LV SA's details at Harrods once I get home from work. She's based on the ground floor accessories. I need to check with my Chanel SA at Harrods that she's happy for me to pass on her information. She's based in womenswear on level one but they have loads of bags, accessories etc and it's nice and quiet up there and you get more of a Chanel experience with champagne, places to sit down etc. The one bag rule at Chanel is at their discretion I believe. I bought three bags in 19s, one in 19a and another two in 19b with no problems. I just had to have store manager approval on the two but since I am clearly buying for myself and not a reseller it's always been fine.

Reactions: KPB
I will be in London with my husband for 4/5 days. We will be celebrating his milestone birthday and I am looking for nice restaurants with excellent food : japanese, indian, Europeen and maybe a typically british one.
It will be our second time in London so If you have suggestions on something special to do see or do, That would be very helpful.
We have seen the Lion king show last time and would love to see another one. What do you recommend ?

Thanks a lot for your help

I will be in London with my husband for 4/5 days. We will be celebrating his milestone birthday and I am looking for nice restaurants with excellent food : japanese, indian, Europeen and maybe a typically british one.
It will be our second time in London so If you have suggestions on something special to do see or do, That would be very helpful.
We have seen the Lion king show last time and would love to see another one. What do you recommend ?

what do you consider European food?

Check out the Ledbury (one of my favorite restaurants) and Lyle's (I guess it's "British" food; whatever it is, it's yummy).

Reactions: Chanelandco