Bag holder project

MyBelongs to Louis

My ❤️ Belongs to Louis
Sep 6, 2017
Hi LVoers! After much research and YT digging, I've decided to try leather dyeing for the first time and customize a match for MLWT luggage (black with gold hardware combo). I'm not usually keen on messing with LV products but after over a year of waiting for this colour-way and unsuccessfully trying to custom order one it seems my only option is to customize it myself.

I purchased this black standard one earlier but I haven't been 100% happy with the way it looks on my Horizon, zipper being pure silver but handles are clearly goldIMG_7133.jpeg

I just ordered a new bag holder in Vachetta/gold along with these leatherwork items and will update this thread once everything arrives:smile: I would love to hear your thoughts/tips/experience on this topic!
mail

mail
BAG HOLDER
Product ID: M54658
Material: VVN
COLOR : Naturel

mail

Fiebing's Professional Leather Pro Dye
4 oz - Black

*Hardware difference: clasp and clip of the bag holder is antique gold to start, only LV logo is polished*

I just dip dyed the bag holder twice, buffing out excess dye afterwards but I encountered an unforeseen hiccup: the painter's tape began peeling instantly once saturated with dye and I almost had a heart attack, thinking the hardware was stained permanently. OMG Being a 'shiny, unblemished hardware' lover this was definitely my worst scare to date with LV:lol: Luckily I had my trusted Goo-Gone on hand, tried it on a small section to see if it would work and it did!
RenderedImage-8.jpg
I left the dye to dry for about an hour before removing all the tape and polishing with Goo-Gone:RenderedImage-12.jpgRenderedImage-13.jpg
The dye made the glazed edge a bit sticky so I buffed out 4 sides with Goo-Gone too:RenderedImage-14.jpg
The next step was not recommended anywhere but I went with my instinct. Because I had used the very oily Goo-Gone and didn't want it to penetrate into the leather over time, possible degrading it structurally or breaking down/releasing the dye, I followed with a soapy wash using Softsoap and warm water (I always do this step after cleaning anything with Good Gone)IMG_9985.jpg
IMG_9986.jpg It turned out beautifully! I'm so happy:yahoo:
Now to let it dry overnight, reapply painters tape before using the dye sealant and buffing out tomorrow:drinks: (the edge you see beneath the logo is the metal square under the leather)

*Hardware difference: clasp and clip of the bag holder is antique gold to start, only LV logo is polished*

I just dip dyed the bag holder twice, buffing out excess dye afterwards but I encountered an unforeseen hiccup: the painter's tape began peeling instantly once saturated with dye and I almost had a heart attack, thinking the hardware was stained permanently. OMG Being a 'shiny, unblemished hardware' lover this was definitely my worst scare to date with LV:lol: Luckily I had my trusted Goo-Gone on hand, tried it on a small section to see if it would work and it did!
View attachment 4514431
I left the dye to dry for about an hour before removing all the tape and polishing with Goo-Gone:View attachment 4514432View attachment 4514434
The dye made the glazed edge a bit sticky so I buffed out 4 sides with Goo-Gone too:View attachment 4514435
The next step was not recommended anywhere but I went with my instinct. Because I had used the very oily Goo-Gone and didn't want it to penetrate into the leather over time, possible degrading it structurally or breaking down/releasing the dye, I followed with a soapy wash using Softsoap and warm water (I always do this step after cleaning anything with Good Gone)View attachment 4514449
View attachment 4514451 It turned out beautifully! I'm so happy:yahoo:
Now to let it dry overnight, reapply painters tape before using the dye sealant and buffing out tomorrow:drinks: (the edge you see beneath the logo is the metal square under the leather)
wow! it looks beautiful.

Reactions: MyBelongs to Louis
Thank you for your comments, sweet friends! @karman @Iamminda @wyu1229 @Venessa84 :hugs:
Good job! In my experience, the dye never sticks permanently to the hardware. It is easy to clean the metal off afterwards with just a cloth. I don't think the Goo gone was necessary.
TY @whateve! I used Goo Gone because I didn't want to risk scratching the hardware. Maybe try without next time:smile:

Reactions: Iamminda