VCA Small charms vs. Rolex

Jdwer1

Dec 15, 2018
Hi - I am planning on getting my wife a watch and wanted some opinions.

We are evaluating a few watches but it has some down to a two choices. A standard SS Rolex Oyster or thé Van Cleef small charms watch (25mm) with two circles of diamonds in rose gold.

Personally, I am fairly into watches so I lean towards the Rolex since it’s an actual watch vs a jeeey piece. However my wife is leaning towards the VCA...

She is 5’2 and prefers the size of the VCA

Both are nice watches. I prefer a Rolex personally though. I think it is a timeless classic. But if it is a gift for your wife and she already expressed her preference----then my suggestion is to go with the VCA small charms watch.

Reactions: baghagg
Yeap Rolex is a forever watch.
If she likes men-style watches I would go for GMT Master II (probably in black) which will come out by the end of the year and like its brothers (Batman and Pepsi) will have a huge resale value :smile:

Reactions: chessmont
I know there a huge number of VCA fans here, and I have never seen any of the jewelry or watch(es) IRL, but am astonished at the prices for tiny looking bracelets, etc.! I am a Rolex lover, I have 5, so of course my vote is Rolex. Somehow, I can pay a lot more for a watch than a piece of jewelry, but that is just my taste. Best of luck in your decision and purchase.

Reactions: baghagg
Hi - I am planning on getting my wife a watch and wanted some opinions.

We are evaluating a few watches but it has some down to a two choices. A standard SS Rolex Oyster or thé Van Cleef small charms watch (25mm) with two circles of diamonds in rose gold.

Personally, I am fairly into watches so I lean towards the Rolex since it’s an actual watch vs a jeeey piece. However my wife is leaning towards the VCA...

She is 5’2 and prefers the size of the VCA

69534261-57B2-44F0-85CF-5C9952B762E1.jpeg Vs. C6A68A60-9E24-4AF9-82E6-381C1289FC64.jpeg

Can’t go wrong with Van Cleef. This is very special. Very memorable. Rolexes are a dime a dozen, to be honest.

My vote is for the Rolex, but if she wants the VCA, that's probably the way to go.

Who makes the innards of the VCA watch? And from the pic you provided, that watch does not look like it can handle much real-life knocking around, especially the dangling part.

Thanks for all your input -- you all are extremely helpful. I ended up going with the VCA for the following reasons
  • Extremely versatile -- you can dress it up or dress it down. It works very well in all environments with a simple band switch (white, black, blue)
  • It is a woman-first watch. Meaning they didn't take a mens watch and shrink is down like most rolexs
  • Wife prioritizes jewelry over watchmaking -- she is not wearing a watch to go diving -- she is looking for a jewelry piece that acts like a watch vs. a watch that acts like a jewelry piece
  • Unique and not diluted -- you can find a rolex everywhere much like a cartier love bracelet
  • Most of all -- she prefers the VCA and it will go along with her other VCA pieces :smile:

Thanks for all your input -- you all are extremely helpful. I ended up going with the VCA for the following reasons
  • Extremely versatile -- you can dress it up or dress it down. It works very well in all environments with a simple band switch (white, black, blue)
  • It is a woman-first watch. Meaning they didn't take a mens watch and shrink is down like most rolexs
  • Wife prioritizes jewelry over watchmaking -- she is not wearing a watch to go diving -- she is looking for a jewelry piece that acts like a watch vs. a watch that acts like a jewelry piece
  • Unique and not diluted -- you can find a rolex everywhere much like a cartier love bracelet
  • Most of all -- she prefers the VCA and it will go along with her other VCA pieces :smile:
Did you end up getting pink gold or white gold? I am thinking of getting this watch, does the watch come with one strap or two straps? Do you get to choose colors?

Did you end up getting pink gold or white gold? I am thinking of getting this watch, does the watch come with one strap or two straps? Do you get to choose colors?
I have this watch in rose gold and I love it. The watch comes with both the white and the black satin straps. The straps come in a rainbow of colors and are readily available from the boutique. I have 11 different straps in satin and also exotic leather. This is my absolute favorite watch and it also feels like a piece of fine jewelry. I have worn it for many years and it still looks new.

Reactions: DS2006