REAL Native American Jewelry~

I'm going to insert a question into this thread. Do you like to match your jewelry - e.g., when wearing a turquoise bracelet, do you wear turquoise earrings?
I do this sometimes but I don't want to look matchy matchy and therefore old-fashioned. So more often I will just wear silver earrings with my turquoise bracelet and wear the turquoise earrings with a plain silver bracelet.

I'm going to insert a question into this thread. Do you like to match your jewelry - e.g., when wearing a turquoise bracelet, do you wear turquoise earrings?
I do this sometimes but I don't want to look matchy matchy and therefore old-fashioned. So more often I will just wear silver earrings with my turquoise bracelet and wear the turquoise earrings with a plain silver bracelet.
I mix and match, whatever my mood, but if there is a least some color in one of the pieces that ties into the other (if one or the other multicolor) that's good too.

I just can't seem to match my jewelry. If I am going to wear a pendant or necklace, I always head first for silver hoops or the favorite pair of silver feather earrings that don't fight with my necklace choice. I have an "over abundance"...as my hubby calls it, of silver bracelets and cuffs, so I wear one of those. On rare occasions, I match my turquoise, but the bottom line is not wearing anything with a print at all for me, anyway. Maybe I will bust loose of my tried and true tradition one day....but I doubt it. :biggrin:

Reactions: Bagatha Christie
Our two Steven J Begay bracelets, incredible Navajo overlay work. These date to about 2003, when Steven was an unknown maker. View attachment 4482520View attachment 4482521
The smaller is mine (labeled "1"). SJB is heavily collected in Japan. A lot of his imagery relates to his peyote religion, I've read.

Really nice! I remember you had mentioned Steven J Begay before and I looked up his work as a result. Gorgeous overlay work; I love the bold patterns. Looks nice and heavy, too. I'm glad you got a chance to share, I love seeing your collection!

Do you have any Depression era Santo Domingo found materials necklaces? I think they are so cool and am kind of considering getting one. I don't really know what to look for in them or how to compare them though--any advice appreciated :smile:

Do you have any Depression era Santo Domingo found materials necklaces? I think they are so cool and am kind of considering getting one. I don't really know what to look for in them or how to compare them though--any advice appreciated :smile:

Only have a large thunderbird bolo, unclear if it started its life as a bolo or was originally the centerpiece of a necklace. I'll post a pic when I can.
I'm also interested but have little hands-on experience with them. The owners of Rainbowman in Santa Fe (the Kapouns) are probably the most prominent collectors/dealers of these necklaces. They were ahead of the curve in buying them when they were still of no real interest in the market. I've held one in person and the necklace beads were a kind of off-white gypsum or other clay type material--unexpectedly. And of course the black parts are from old 78 records or battery packs, a very cool feature. And if you didn't know this, the necklaces and the center bird are often very large. They don't photograph large but some certainly are, so they are very statement-looking. Let's go find some!

This thread is really interesting and you all have beautiful jewelry and photos. When I was a kid, we made some trips to Sedona and Phoenix, Arizona and I remember getting little pieces of turquoise jewelry as a souvenir. I am really enjoying reading and learning about the various turquoise mines in the United States, the ways the stone is treated and cut for jewelry setting, and the different styles reflective of traditional methods. Looking forward to someday sharing a future purchase here.

P.S. Wow, the photos on Garland's are spectacular, aren't they? Beautifully pictured jewelry.

P.P.S. For those of you who like a late-night internet shopping excursion as much as I do, the Horsekeeping site, which has a lot of helpful info on jewelry, jewelry care, artisans, and techniques, is having a Buy One, Get One ring sale the entire month of July. There's a lot of great stuff to browse. The sale extends to their vintage and bargain rings.

Last edited:
This thread is really interesting and you all have beautiful jewelry and photos. When I was a kid, we made some trips to Sedona and Phoenix, Arizona and I remember getting little pieces of turquoise jewelry as a souvenir. I am really enjoying reading and learning about the various turquoise mines in the United States, the ways the stone is treated and cut for jewelry setting, and the different styles reflective of traditional methods. Looking forward to someday sharing a future purchase here.

P.S. Wow, the photos on Garland's are spectacular, aren't they? Beautifully pictured jewelry.

P.P.S. For those of you who like a late-night internet shopping excursion as much as I do, the Horsekeeping site, which has a lot of helpful info on jewelry, jewelry care, artisans, and techniques, is having a Buy One, Get One ring sale the entire month of July. There's a lot of great stuff to browse. The sale extends to their vintage and bargain rings.
Oh yeah I am on an at LEAST yearlong ban from Garland's!!!!

Only have a large thunderbird bolo, unclear if it started its life as a bolo or was originally the centerpiece of a necklace. I'll post a pic when I can.
I'm also interested but have little hands-on experience with them. The owners of Rainbowman in Santa Fe (the Kapouns) are probably the most prominent collectors/dealers of these necklaces. They were ahead of the curve in buying them when they were still of no real interest in the market. I've held one in person and the necklace beads were a kind of off-white gypsum or other clay type material--unexpectedly. And of course the black parts are from old 78 records or battery packs, a very cool feature. And if you didn't know this, the necklaces and the center bird are often very large. They don't photograph large but some certainly are, so they are very statement-looking. Let's go find some!

Good info, thanks! I've been intending to go to Rainbowman when I go in August, so I'll have to look for some there and see if I can learn anything. I've seen one or two in museums but haven't gotten the chance to hold one or inspect it close up. My husband thinks I'm a little daft for wanting jewelry that's not cheap that's mostly made of plastic but I think they are so neat and have such a cool story. And the turquoise of course is usually real. I'd love to see your bolo. Is it the mosaic plastic inlay style?

Reactions: jellyv
[QUOTE="GoStanford, post: For those of you who like a late-night internet shopping excursion as much as I do, the Horsekeeping site, which has a lot of helpful info on jewelry, jewelry care, artisans, and techniques, is having a Buy One, Get One ring sale the entire month of July. There's a lot of great stuff to browse. The sale extends to their vintage and bargain rings.[/QUOTE]

Good tip on the Horsekeeping sale, thanks! I really like that website; they have great articles and info.

Reactions: Compass Rose