Eyelash extensions - are they worth it???

Are getting eyelash extensions worth it?

• Yes, totally! Worth every penny!

• Nope, stick to falsies.

• Other - please say why!

Results are only viewable after voting.
My ophthalmologist (eye surgeon) approves of eyelash extensions for me because he kept telling me for years to stop wearing make up because it was clogging my meibomian ducts. He had recommended a procedure that is like a car wash to express the solidified meibomian oils that can cause dry eyes and cysts. I am an RN and I used to help and watch my grandfather who was also an opthalmologist, so I have an extensive medical background.

Basically, I can go makeup free with my extensions and I no longer get cysts. I am very thoroughly cleanse my eyes and eyelashes twice a day with a recommended cleanser, which is probably more than I was doing prior to extensions. My extensions easily last three weeks and I could probably go four. If you care for them properly and don’t get them wet for two days after application, they can be safe and save a lot of time and energy in the long run. I just wake up and go.

May I ask what the recommended cleanser was?

May I ask what the recommended cleanser was?
It is from Amazing Lash - their own brand. I heard you can make your own using baby shampoo, but I could not guarantee it would be compatible with the lash adhesive. The glue can break down quicker if you don’t care for the lashes properly.
This is me with no makeup. I have dark discoloration and redness but I am 50 years old. I get a very natural lash. I do need microblading for my brows though!!

6E8B387B-2AAB-4606-85A5-CC83464CEEF8.pngC798917D-5460-4BF6-AFCA-A241D8B149BE.jpeg

Last edited:
I've been getting lash extensions for over 3 years now and they're totally worth it to me.

They do require some maintenance...I wash them every day with a foaming cleanser, apply a sealant every other day to reinforce the bonding of the glue and use a lash serum to keep my natural lashes strong. But I gotta say, doing these things has helped them last longer. I go in for my fills every 4-5 weeks and I still have over 40% of my lashes left. My lash artist has had to remove individual extensions to apply new ones since they were getting too long and haven't fallen out yet. I don't mind an hour on the table every month...I love naps!

My lashes after 3 weeks..
IMG_20180731_0651552_2_(1).jpg

I do all these things as well. I also take Biotin (a vitamin that helps with hair growth & skin regeneration). “Amazing Lash” recommends washing twice a day, but I often wash only once at night if I am not going to wear any make up that day. No washing or getting them wet for the first 2 days after a refill, and I use only cool or warm water, not hot. I have to go about every 3 weeks, but I think that’s because I have not found a good lash growth serum that is compatible. I think mine makes them detach a little sooner. Some of the good serums are REALLY expensive!! Less than a teaspoon for $70-$120!!!!!

Here are a couple more “lash selfies” for the day. I have not washed them or anything since I woke up today. If you see something that looks like dry skin, it’s actually just my face serum that dries and flakes off lol. I usually wear it at night and wash it off in the morning.
9FFD7C71-58D1-4319-95AB-E28B2F42C40A.jpeg DD1A2F13-C48F-4B47-A104-D1831088C04C.jpeg
I've been getting lash extensions for over 3 years now and they're totally worth it to me.

They do require some maintenance...I wash them every day with a foaming cleanser, apply a sealant every other day to reinforce the bonding of the glue and use a lash serum to keep my natural lashes strong. But I gotta say, doing these things has helped them last longer. I go in for my fills every 4-5 weeks and I still have over 40% of my lashes left. My lash artist has had to remove individual extensions to apply new ones since they were getting too long and haven't fallen out yet. I don't mind an hour on the table every month...I love naps!

View attachment 4359932

I do all these things as well. I also take Biotin (a vitamin that helps with hair growth & skin regeneration). “Amazing Lash” recommends washing twice a day, but I often wash only once at night if I am not going to wear any make up that day. No washing or getting them wet for the first 2 days after a refill, and I use only cool or warm water, not hot. I have to go about every 3 weeks, but I think that’s because I have not found a good lash growth serum that is compatible. I think mine makes them detach a little sooner. Some of the good serums are REALLY expensive!! Less than a teaspoon for $70-$120!!!!!

Here are a couple more “lash selfies” for the day. I have not washed them or anything since I woke up today. If you see something that looks like dry skin, it’s actually just my face serum that dries and flakes off lol. I usually wear it at night and wash it off in the morning.
View attachment 4360317 View attachment 4360318
Are you me? LOL...I also take biotin along with collagen and it really makes a difference. And I hear ya on the serum. The one I'm using is LashFood from Sephora and it's $80 for .10 ounces :doh:

OMG collagen, yes I take collagen too, haha. We must be Clark Kent and Superman! I take my collagen in the form of a powder supplement I add to smoothies. I also take hyaluronic acid capsules, which aid in the production of collagen. Ummmm....Why can I plunk down a few thousand $$$ for a bag, but I choke when I think about paying $800 an ounce for eyelash food? $80 per 1/10 oz is equivalent to $800 per oz :shocked::shocked::shocked:
995D3A0D-2F1E-435C-A847-46E6F767F5FB.jpeg 7BB130CA-F112-4DDB-8E97-37E11A61A44F.jpeg

Are you me? LOL...I also take biotin along with collagen and it really makes a difference. And I hear ya on the serum. The one I'm using is LashFood from Sephora and it's $80 for .10 ounces :doh:

OMG collagen, yes I take collagen too, haha. We must be Clark Kent and Superman! I take my collagen in the form of a powder supplement I add to smoothies. I also take hyaluronic acid capsules, which aid in the production of collagen. Ummmm....Why can I plunk down a few thousand $$$ for a bag, but I choke when I think about paying $800 an ounce for eyelash food? $80 per 1/10 oz is equivalent to $800 per oz :shocked::shocked::shocked:
View attachment 4360391 View attachment 4360392
Mine are biotin gummies. This is what I take for skin/hair.
IMG_20190304_1238576.jpg
Have you looked into astaxanthin? It's a powerful carotenoid antioxidant that gives salmon, trout, shrimp etc.. their red color. 65 times stronger than vitamin C at fighting free radicals, it helps increase skin elasticity, moisture, smoothness and decreases fine lines and wrinkles.
Oh and so I don't derail the thread, here's my lash selfie for today. :biggrin: I put a bit of mascara on my bottom lashes..
IMG_20190303_1603082_2.jpg

Reactions: gettinpurseonal
I do not take astaxanthin. But apparently I should! It is also what gives flamingos their pink color - it’s their diet. I do eat a lot of salmon, trout, and shrimp though. Hmmmmm.... (scratches head).
Love your lash selfie!!
Anybody else following this thread??! Lol!!
I will post one tomorrow when I’m wearing makeup if nobody else does.

Mine are biotin gummies. This is what I take for skin/hair.
View attachment 4361384
Have you looked into astaxanthin? It's a powerful carotenoid antioxidant that gives salmon, trout, shrimp etc.. their red color. 65 times stronger than vitamin C at fighting free radicals, it helps increase skin elasticity, moisture, smoothness and decreases fine lines and wrinkles.
Oh and so I don't derail the thread, here's my lash selfie for today. :biggrin: I put a bit of mascara on my bottom lashes..
View attachment 4361387

Love your lashes. May I ask which sealant you use? Thank you.

View attachment 4359932

I like extensions but have recently been getting lash lifts instead. I’m in the UK and they’re called LVL but I assume the US will have something similar if not the same.

It’s basically a perm for the lashes and then tint. I have black lashes and didn’t think the tint would do anything but it really made the final result look amazing. It was like having mascara on but really natural and the length/curl was awesome too.

Went makeup free for about 8 weeks which is how long it lasted for me and lashes looked so good. It’s easier to maintain as it just enhances natural lashes so they look longer and curled and I’m probably not going to try extensions again. I’ll take some pics when I have my next one done but google lash lift generally and you’ll see what it’s like.

Reactions: pixiejenna
A lash lift would definitely not be enough for me. There are times I walk out of the lash salon already wishing my lashes were even thicker and longer.
Just had a refill today so here are my lash selfies for today:46204C56-055B-4949-8EC8-4E1FB10A45F5.jpeg468213C9-7764-4484-A7B4-5F953865CC4B.jpegF40B21AA-2C97-4D0D-9601-8C9BB848072B.jpeg

I like extensions but have recently been getting lash lifts instead. I’m in the UK and they’re called LVL but I assume the US will have something similar if not the same.

It’s basically a perm for the lashes and then tint. I have black lashes and didn’t think the tint would do anything but it really made the final result look amazing. It was like having mascara on but really natural and the length/curl was awesome too.

Went makeup free for about 8 weeks which is how long it lasted for me and lashes looked so good. It’s easier to maintain as it just enhances natural lashes so they look longer and curled and I’m probably not going to try extensions again. I’ll take some pics when I have my next one done but google lash lift generally and you’ll see what it’s like.

I was going to ask about lash lift. The girl who dose my facials and brow wax/tint told me that she’s now going to do lash lifts. I used to do extensions but stopped about a year ago. I loved the look but it was too irritating after a while especially when my allergies are bad not being able to itch my eyes was awful. I have super stick straight lashes which won’t hold a curl if I tried to use a curler. Not sure if I want to try this, I am intrigued but scared of it.