The JADE thread!

I have been lurking on this forum for a couple of months and admiring all the beautiful jade pieces I’ve seen here. Happy to introduce my first bangle to this forum. She’s mainly green with a hint of lavender.

I have a couple of questions and sorry if these seem so 101 but may I find out if one can shower and sleep with a jade bangle on? Thanks!

I've been wearing the same bangle for 4 years and I've never taken her off. She's gone swimming with me numerous times and has endured our freezing winters and heat stroke weather. Your bangle is a beauty and a great choice!

Thanks so much TM

I’m sorry, I haven’t figured out this mobile site yet. It took me forever to get here. I’ll figure it out soon, I’m sure.

I love all the beautiful jade pieces shared here. Thanks so much Jadies! I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend so far

Reactions: SmokieDragon
Hello SmokieDragon, Thanks for sharing photos of your bangle. What a nice mix of three colors, subtle yet noticeable dark green and lavender. I also wear a bangle on me all the time (sleep and shower) until I feel like swapping it, or I add something to a stack for the day.

Hi SmokeDragon your first bangle looks great on you and the fit is perfect! You can definitely sleep and shower with your bangle and in fact I think the water is good for it. I never have to clean my bangle since I always shower with it.

SmokeDragon, I wear one jadeite bangle on each wrist most of the day for a while. So yes sleep and shower with your bangle!

I've been wearing the same bangle for 4 years and I've never taken her off. She's gone swimming with me numerous times and has endured our freezing winters and heat stroke weather. Your bangle is a beauty and a great choice!

Thanks so much, ladies! I will keep her on and our first day together has been great - the fit is good, sleep and shower all not a problem :biggrin:

Thanks so much, ladies! I will keep her on and our first day together has been great - the fit is good, sleep and shower all not a problem :biggrin:

Word of warning...if you take showers and have ceramic tiles, be careful not to smash your bangle on them. My permanent bangle is worn on my right which faces the opening of my shower. I once wore a bangle on my left while showering and smashed it into the tiles! I never shower while wearing a bangle on my left anymore. Bangle was ok, but it could have been a disaster.

It is kinda too late to chime in, but I do not think your old bangle was bleached aka type B. I said so because none of the type jade bangles I experimented on could withstand a drop from 1.3 meter to WOOD floor (they cracked). And on concrete or tile, they shattered. I (none of them cost more than $75). That is to say bleaching with acid severely will destroy the stone so much that it becomes brittle. However, looking at your old bangle surface with many orange peel patches, I feel that it was hand cut and polished without using high grade abrasive. Jade cutters probably skipped that part and used hot wax dipping to bring out the luster of this jade. At the same time, they might add color agents to the stone and polish it with wax. Over time, when the wax came off, it took the color (lavender) with it. I have one jade bangle with that exact luster of your old one but I have no clue what it used to look like because I’m not the original owner. Anyway, I liked the soft satin finish on certain jadeite pieces and that’s why I bought it. I had to rewax with parafin wax by hand for 1 hour and each time it would last about a year (never a swimmer so not sure if the wax can hold up for a year under that harsh usage). And I always shower with jade jewelry. You may be able to glue 2 out of those 3 pieces together and drill a hold on each end to make a “clasp/hinge” bracelet-the third piece can be capped on with a bail and used as a new pendant. It does take a jeweler to do so but if it means a lot to you, it will be worth it.

This is so interesting. Thank you for sharing your knowledge on this.

07966BBE-8EAB-4F69-BDE1-E2B7B65349FC.jpeg Got ‘em two bracelets with one bead (instead of “killed two birds with one stone”).
I hate to see my beloved nephrite bracelet made by Allan stacked away in the jewelry box just because it was one bead too loose. Tired of my own procrastination to bring it back to him even though we’re in the same city, today I decided to take the matter into my own hand and removed one bead from it. I was rather nervous when cutting the string of Allan’s nephrite bracelet, but everything worked out fine. After taking one Yukon Snow out, I had the spontaneous urge to insert it in the white bracelet. Now, the white jadeite bracelet was a gift from Nandar when I bought my icy bangle. I absolutely love it but it was a tad too tight - just one bead away from being perfect. Therefore, I wanted to fix that one too! While loving the idea of the Yukon Snow bead in the white jadeite beaded bracelet, I couldn’t give up the original intention of adding my extra Pandora Pavé Lights Charm to it. Finally, I decided to take out one white bead to make room for the Yukon Snow AND the charm.
All in all, this little project brought me so much fun! I’m so excited now that I have two well-fitted, beloved beaded bracelets.

Silverstar, I love your bracelets!
Actually I had the same idea yesterday. To combine stone beads with silver ones. Mine are from Fairy beads and Trollbeads.
And I want to introduce "Tang" (Chinese for pond; at least Google says so).
I got her with the help of a friend. I am very thankful. Tang is a chubby green Hetian princess. I love her sooo much.

Last edited: