PS1 XL (Extra Large) as a laptop bag/bag for traveling? How big is it exactly?

IntheOcean

Authenticator
Apr 4, 2018
I'm thinking about purchasing a PS1 XL to use mainly as a carry-on bag for traveling or occasionally as a laptop bag (for a 15 inch laptop; I mesured mine and I believe it should fit).

I would love to see pictures of what an XL can fit. And modeling shots would be extremely helpful! Most people seem to have either a Medium or a Large, but an XL seems to be quite a lot bigger than that.

I own an XL and have used it for travel. It is a large bag and holds quite a bit. It does get heavy and the thin leather strap can get uncomfortable. They did make a leather and nylon version with a wider weaved strap.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Proenza-Schouler-PS1-Medium-Messenger-bag/322355839036

It wasn't a popular style but the PS1 Tote would work for travel and a laptop.
Here is an old (sold) FP listing so you can see the size:
https://www.fashionphile.com/proenza-schouler-lambskin-ps1-tote-smoke-212499

Are you looking for a particular color and price range?
Yoogi's has a blue and a red but they are pricey (IMO)...
https://www.yoogiscloset.com/design...-lux-leather-extra-large-ps1-satchel-bag.html
https://www.yoogiscloset.com/design...eather-extra-large-ps1-satchel-bag-87561.html

I saw the one that you posted in the Authenticate thread. I just can't imagine using this bag for work and travel and not having a top handle. Hopefully, you can find one that is completely intact and at a good price. ;)

I own an XL and have used it for travel
Thank you! The links you provided to the modeling shots were very helpful. One of the things I like the most about this bag, is that it looks equally nice when it's full and when it's half empty - so slouchy and squishy.

I never needed a laptop bag before, but now I do, and I was thinking of what to buy when suddenly came across that PS1 XL at a really great price on our local version of ebay. So I figured, if I have to carry around a big bag, it better be a Proenza. The Tote version is pretty, but I don't like that it's open at the top.

I asked the seller about the tophandle, and it got detached and lost some time ago, so yeah, that's a bummer. I thought maybe I could reattach it if he still has it, but it's gone.

Thanks for the links to the listings, that blue one is sooo yummy! But yes, like you said, it's expensive. Basically, the reduced price of that handleless XL is the thing that made me seriously consider it. I am usually careful with my things, but I don't like to spend a lot of money on bags that I'll use for traveling, just so that I can be a little more carefree with them.

Ocean, carrying my laptop is also what brought me to the PS1 XL. The military one I just bought still hasn't arrived, but I'll post pics when it does.

I have Balenciagas which are similarly slouchy and unstructured. I love those bags, and the Work size is the best. But I found the lack of a shoulder strap to be a downside, as well as only having one large compartment and only a small outer pocket. I wanted something along the size of the Balenciaga Work, but with straps and more pockets and separations. I even considered attaching my own hardware and straps to a Work, but that still left me with only one large compartment. The one compartment not only mixes all your junk too much, but it creates even more of a bottom-cave slouch. I expect the PS1 will hold it's shape a bit more than the Work.

Reactions: IntheOcean
I couldn't agree more with you!

I love Balenciaga designs, those bags are gorgeous, but the lack of compartments and the strap usually being way too short to wear crossbody or at least on the shoulder at hip height is just something I can't overlook. Even if I put small stuff into pouches, larger items will still get jumbled up in there. I know some people prefer their bags to only have one big compartment in the middle, but for me, that just never worked, No matter how slouchy or how structured the bag was, it always turned into a mess a the end of the day. So the PS1 is absolutely perfect, in my opinion, if you want to have your things neatly in place.

Do post pictures of the Military when you receive it, it's such a lovely color, I love green bags.

Reactions: Deco
Ocean, the XL is perfection. Just the right size with compartments. Can accommodate my laptop and bulky lunch box, on top of makeup, big wallet and odds and ends. Looks great, easy to carry and close/open. It doesn’t sit upright by itself unless filled, but that’s ok. I’m very happy with mine.

I’m 5’4” with 3 inch heels here.

Attachments

• 3ACA1DB8-55A8-4580-9E7D-FCE51240063B.jpeg
    3ACA1DB8-55A8-4580-9E7D-FCE51240063B.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 937D800E-6B80-427C-B109-92D5EE76BE07.jpeg
    937D800E-6B80-427C-B109-92D5EE76BE07.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 117
Ocean, the XL is perfection. Just the right size with compartments. Can accommodate my laptop and bulky lunch box, on top of makeup, big wallet and odds and ends. Looks great, easy to carry and close/open. It doesn’t sit upright by itself unless filled, but that’s ok. I’m very happy with mine.

I’m 5’4” with 3 inch heels here.
I love that military color!!!

Reactions: Deco