REAL Native American Jewelry~

I went to Indian Market only once, in 1989 I think. It seemed to be when Ray Tracy was still doing a lot of cool work. I bought the squash blossom inlay necklace, and 3 pairs of earrings, one for my MIL (I'm sure she didn't wear them much, in retrospect didn't seem to be her style) one pair for my mom which she adored and treasured until she died. They 'went' with everything they were inlay fairly simple and not a lot of colors. I bought a large colorful pair for me. They weren't dangly, but post earrings. Actually, I think they look dated now, kind of '80s (how could that possibly be?) I have my mom's and mine. I looked at a website of Ray Tracy's - meh. Not much interesting and I bet he shops out a lot to probably in-house artisans. I think I saw a quote that his eyes are not as good as when he was yoiu8ng, to be able to do the kind of inlay he used to.

Oh, and shopping at a table right next to me was Goldie Hawn! Very thin, very flat (no curves), and very sun-worn. And that was 30 years ago! I hope she started to stay out of the sun!

Tell us more about this! :tup:
I really don’t know much about the piece . I can show you the markings on the back . I saw three beautiful necklaces in this shape each was very different. I showed it to my Dh . We were at a red hawk native Americans festival. He bought and surprised with it. He did not get the info on it though.

Attachments

• B686B8A2-E740-48A2-804A-1974BCF3CBE5.jpeg
    B686B8A2-E740-48A2-804A-1974BCF3CBE5.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 78
I really don’t know much about the piece . I can show you the markings on the back . I saw three beautiful necklaces in this shape each was very different. I showed it to my Dh . We were at a red hawk native Americans festival. He bought and surprised with it. He did not get the info on it though.
That is a spectacular surprise! It's gorgeous!

Reactions: chessmont
Has anyone ever been to the Tuscon Gem Show? I've never been but kind of want to go. For anyone that's not familiar with it, I'll explain what I know: It takes place in Tuscon AZ over approximately the first two weeks of February. It started out as just a single large gem and mineral show but has grown since then. Now there are something like 50 different shows all over town. Most are free to get in although the original one does charge a small admission. They sell gems, rocks, and minerals at the various shows, but jewelry as well, and I've heard there's a ton of Native American jewelry. Anyway, I'd love to go, but don't know that much about it. It seems kind of overwhelming--I wouldn't even know where to find all the shows or how to plan it. I think you just walk around town and there are vendors and shows literally everywhere. If any of you guys have been I would love to hear your thoughts and advice.

I went to Indian Market only once, in 1989 I think. It seemed to be when Ray Tracy was still doing a lot of cool work. I bought the squash blossom inlay necklace, and 3 pairs of earrings, one for my MIL (I'm sure she didn't wear them much, in retrospect didn't seem to be her style) one pair for my mom which she adored and treasured until she died. They 'went' with everything they were inlay fairly simple and not a lot of colors. I bought a large colorful pair for me. They weren't dangly, but post earrings. Actually, I think they look dated now, kind of '80s (how could that possibly be?) I have my mom's and mine. I looked at a website of Ray Tracy's - meh. Not much interesting and I bet he shops out a lot to probably in-house artisans. I think I saw a quote that his eyes are not as good as when he was yoiu8ng, to be able to do the kind of inlay he used to.

Oh, and shopping at a table right next to me was Goldie Hawn! Very thin, very flat (no curves), and very sun-worn. And that was 30 years ago! I hope she started to stay out of the sun!

What/where is this Indian market?
Please post these Ray Tracy pieces! We’d love to see; bonus points for modeling shot:flowers: wasn’t he an actor?

Reactions: cdtracing
Has anyone ever been to the Tuscon Gem Show? I've never been but kind of want to go. For anyone that's not familiar with it, I'll explain what I know: It takes place in Tuscon AZ over approximately the first two weeks of February. It started out as just a single large gem and mineral show but has grown since then. Now there are something like 50 different shows all over town. Most are free to get in although the original one does charge a small admission. They sell gems, rocks, and minerals at the various shows, but jewelry as well, and I've heard there's a ton of Native American jewelry. Anyway, I'd love to go, but don't know that much about it. It seems kind of overwhelming--I wouldn't even know where to find all the shows or how to plan it. I think you just walk around town and there are vendors and shows literally everywhere. If any of you guys have been I would love to hear your thoughts and advice.

I too would like to know..
I will meet you there OrbitOrange! You can be the voice of reason and hold me back, right?:drinks:

Reactions: OrbitOrange
I have a very good friend who goes at least every three years or so. She has has a small gallery in a small northern Michigan town and her focus is on petoskey stones, Michigan agates and other natural stones which she artfully bezel sets them into rings, necklaces, bracelets, etc. The reason I say this is because there are so many vendors there who sell everything on the planet, you cannot see everything in two days. She loves going, and it is very, very busy. She can come home with tons of beads and stones to set. The prices are the best, which is why she makes the trip. I can only imagine the turquoise stones that can be bought there. If I lived close, I would make the trip and get there by 6am and camp by the gate. :biggrin:

Reactions: dcooney4
What/where is this Indian market?
Please post these Ray Tracy pieces! We’d love to see; bonus points for modeling shot:flowers: wasn’t he an actor?
Indian Market in downtown Santa Fe, held the 3rd weekend in August. OMG...I cannot believe the amount of work that goes into it only to be set up for 2 days. The town just explodes and it is electrifying! We'd get there at about 6:30 am because the parking was much more available to us. I want to go back.

Indian Market in downtown Santa Fe, held the 3rd weekend in August. OMG...I cannot believe the amount of work that goes into it only to be set up for 2 days. The town just explodes and it is electrifying! We'd get there at about 6:30 am because the parking was much more available to us. I want to go back.
Whoa this sounds so awesome! Thank you! We should have a TPF meetup there:graucho:

Whoa this sounds so awesome! Thank you! We should have a TPF meetup there:graucho:

It is really cool. I went in 2017 and I'm going again this year--so excited! If anyone else is going it would definitely be fun to meet up. The show itself is a judged and juried competition and the artists are carefully selected. People line up at the tents of their favorite artists for the right to buy first. But the week leading up to it is Native Arts Week and there are a bunch of other shows and events throughout town. Like Compass says it really takes over Santa Fe. Because it's a relatively small town and Indian Market can be so popular it can be hard to find a place to stay. Hotels book up a few years in advance or else give priority for the next year to their current year's customers.