Going to Europe on a trip, what Longchamp should I take as an everyday purse?

Hoya94

O.G.
Mar 27, 2011
I’m debating between a neo or traditional Le Pliage 1899 bag. I usually use the 1899, but wondered if the strap and the ability to use it as a crossbody would be better when walking around and sightseeing. I’d love to use my Le Pliage backback, but I’ve heard backpacks are a bad idea generally in Europe. What have you gals used on your trips? Pros and cons of each bag? Thanks in advance for your input.

Reactions: Namwan-
Personally I’d suggest downsizing as much as you are comfortable with. Going lighter and crossbody will make your travels so much easier and enjoyable IMO. Maybe, since I gather you prefer larger bags, you could try on the small Neo, which really holds a lot, and see how that suits you?

I go to France pretty frequently and I usually opt for mid-size crossbody bags—not tiny—big enough to fit mini umbrella, sunglasses, small wallet or card case, small cosmetic case, phone, some touristy guides, etc. For my last trip as day bags I took my gray Mademoiselle and my navy Foulonne saddle bag (the latter for airport and rainy days), plus a smaller dressier bag (Heritage XS crossbody) for evening.

791226A2-137F-47A7-ACA7-187E92013F77.png 9DF7B1C6-ED24-4AB0-B92A-B61F5778D214.jpeg

Personally I’d suggest downsizing as much as you are comfortable with. Going lighter and crossbody will make your travels so much easier and enjoyable IMO. Maybe, since I gather you prefer larger bags, you could try on the small Neo, which really holds a lot, and see how that suits you?

I go to France pretty frequently and I usually opt for mid-size crossbody bags—not tiny—big enough to fit mini umbrella, sunglasses, small wallet or card case, small cosmetic case, phone, some touristy guides, etc. For my last trip as day bags I took my gray Mademoiselle and my navy Foulonne saddle bag (the latter for airport and rainy days), plus a smaller dressier bag (Heritage XS crossbody) for evening.

View attachment 4431157 View attachment 4431158

Both you bags are gorgeous! I was actually thing of the Foulonne saddle bag as well, but didn’t know how roomy it was versus the small Neo. I have to make a trip to the Longchamp store and compare. How comfortable is the small neo? Or would the saddle bag be better? I wish I could buy them both, but I’m watching my budget because I had to buy a new computer. Decisions, decisions...

Thanks Cosmopolitan!

Both you bags are gorgeous! I was actually thing of the Foulonne saddle bag as well, but didn’t know how roomy it was versus the small Neo. I have to make a trip to the Longchamp store and compare. How comfortable is the small neo? Or would the saddle bag be better? I wish I could buy them both, but I’m watching my budget because I had to buy a new computer. Decisions, decisions...

Thanks Cosmopolitan!

I think the Foulonne saddle bag would be great for you for Europe—plenty of room, very resilient leather, plus lots of pockets/internal organization and an adjustable strap (Neo doesn’t have either of those). I hope you can check the Foulonne out; see mine here.

I love my small Neo but almost always hand carry it; not too comfortable as a crossbody IMO because of how the handles stick up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoya94
I think the Foulonne saddle bag would be great for you for Europe—plenty of room, very resilient leather, plus lots of pockets/internal organization and an adjustable strap (Neo doesn’t have either of those). I hope you can check the Foulonne out; see mine here.

I love my small Neo but almost always hand carry it; not too comfortable as a crossbody IMO because of how the handles stick up.

Gorgeous! I’m really liking it. Thanks for the recommendation and to point out about the handles on the Neo. Didn’t know that. I love your custom Longchamp too. Hope you got a lot of wine on your tour. Thanks!

Reactions: Cosmopolitan
On holidays where I do a lot of walking and sightseeing, I will use my Small Black Neo as a crossbody or my black 2605, depending on whether it's a city holiday (Neo) or resort holiday (2605).

I will also bring a smaller crossbody to keep my passport, boarding pass, tissues, sweets, phone, wallet and lipstick on me throughout the flight or even for brekkies at the resort. That smaller crossbody will be either my 2.0 Toile or my Mini Cuir (both Black). I love the organisation of the 2.0 Toile since it has internal pockets and an internal zip but the Mini Cuir has its strengths too as the strap is fully adjustable (by tying the knots at different parts of the strap) and its zip is at the back :biggrin: