Buyer says she saw it cheaper in a store, wants to return

Cundle

Jun 1, 2007
Hi. This is my first post on the Forum. I've been selling medium priced bags on Ebay for a few years. All you experienced sellers know that you can be rolling along with sales, everything fine. For me, about every three months or so, I get a spate of all kinds of crazy people buying, changing their minds, returning, asking dumber than dumb questions. Just today I've had someone want to return a bag because they saw it cheaper at their local NM! Of course, I have to be nice, and take it back for a refund. To try to stop this nonsense, I've recently instituted a restocking fee. I hated to have to do this but my profit margin is so low, I see no other choice. Also today I had a zero feedback bidder try and buy something from me. Turns out she was registered in the US but living in Japan. Wanted me to ship an expensive MBMJ bag to her boyfriend in the US. I denied the payment because it was unconfirmed. She emails me that her Paypal account shows that the money has been taken out. I told her my PP shows it as being denied and I never had her money in my account to begin with. Sorry for the long post, I'm getting kind of sick of all the nutjob buyers. :tdown:

I am sorry this has happened to you. That buyer deserves a non-paying strike.

There are many irresponsible buyers around, there also are many good buyers out there. Maybe you could say in your listing that you are not a retail store so all sales are final. Charging a restocking fee is another good idea. If you choose to do so, make sure you indicate all items need to be returned within 24 or 48 hours after they are delivered. Also, make sure to attach some security tags to prevent return after usage.

They saw it cheaper in a store? ugh! THEY bid that amount on it, so THEY were willing to pay it. Not your fault. This is why I've implemented a no return policy. It's not COMPLETELY inflexible. I refund at my discretion, but this prevents time-wasters like this person. I'm sorry you've had to deal with problem buyers. I guess it's the nature of the beast!

It's hard to say how long she's had it because the heart attack inducing US Postal Service website still shows the usual "has been notified by the shipper" etc message. I did send it with signature confirmation and delivery confirmation on July 3rd. In a weird way, I"m glad that she contacted me because now at least I know it was delivered! I guess some transactions are just cursed from the get-go. She made the purchase on July 2nd. She just contacted me about the return today. I have a policy that states if you are returning to contact me within 24 hours of receipt, however, I can't prove she's had it for longer than that, because of the problem with the USPS.

I would not accept the return.

She signed a contract by bidding at that price, and that's just how it is, that's just not how ebay works.

Stick to your guns, it's not fair to you to have these flaky buyers

Good luck!

Ebay is NOT NM, Nordstrom, Saks, yet more and more buyers ASSUME they can shop like it is.
IF you decide to take it back she might be further ahead keeping it after you tell her, her original shipping is not refundable, she has to pay for return shipping/ins. and you charge a restocking fee.
Good Luck and keep us posted!

Court811 is totally right. I would not take the item back. If the buyer wanted a cheaper price, she should have checked NM first. She agreed to pay the auction price, she has to follow through on that contract.

I would tell her that since it was an ebay auction, the buyer chooses the price they are willing to pay.
well said

it's like that stupid buyer I had that did a BIN when there was an auction price offered, and then she leaves me pos fb but says it's overpriced

we do not hold guns to these stupid buyers heads forcing them to buy things, they are doing it with their own free will and by bidding, they are agreeing to a contract

I would tell her to go jump in a lake, but I'm kinda b!tchy about ebay these days

Welcome and Hi! I think you will like it here with all of us slightly crazy purse people.

I would never think ebay is like a store where you can return stuff just 'because'. Before I use ebay, I am darn certain I am getting a good deal (or, more likely, the thing I am bidding is no longer available in the stores and now I have to maybe pay more but that's my choice). You are being very nice to agree to accept a return from this person; karma will pay you back someday. But def. do not refund shipping fees!!