How to handle this?

TamaraL

Oct 23, 2018
I bought a dress from a seller on eBay, seller claimed it was never worn and is new without tags, I contacted her in advance as she only had the stock pictures up and asked if I could see a picture of the dress she is selling, she said it is difficult to photograph and on a hanger it will not look good, but claimed she never wore it, that is why she used the stock pictures. Great, bid, quite highly and won it.

The dress that arrived had a bunch of snags and somebody had removed all the lining, it's a chiffon dress in an asymmetric cut, the label gives the material composition of the dress and the lining only the lining has been cut out and the dress has a lot of snags and pulls, no rips or obvious damages (apart from the missing lining) so I sent her a message that I can't wear the dress without the lining and I would like to return it, and she was quite angry with me and said the listing didn't mention lining so I should not expect one. I'm thinking about opening a return, but not sure if it would be "not as described" or "damaged" due to the cut out lining.

It's really not something that can be easily repaired or you can replace it with a slip, due to the cut, if it would be in the region of 10 or so, I would just write it off as a mistake, but for 80, not quite willing to accept a partial dress that I won't be able to wear.

I am just a bit unclear what to fill in the return request.

Item not as described would be the right choice. It doesn’t sound new with damage and the lining being cut out. She led you to believe it was brand new and just perfect. You’ll get your money back. Good luck.

I was a bit taken aback that I she expected me to ask if the lining has cut out (who would do that anyway) with a dress that is sold as new without tags. I mean even with a used item, I would think the cut out lining is a flaw that would be mentioned? I just can't get my head round why anybody would remove the lining of a dress?

Damaged may mean damaged during shipping, which is not the case. I haven't shopped on eBay in a long time, so I'm not familiar with the return process, but do you just check boxes or can you include a note explaining about the lining? EBay should also be able to see your correspondence where you asked for more pictures and she refused. I believe you will win either way since she used stock photos.

Reactions: Ms.Dixie
I would think that damaged would be during shipping. Not damage by the seller prior to selling. If she received the box from the shipper and it was damaged as in cut, wet or run over by a truck which resulted in damage to the dress, that would be damage (to me). Since the seller did not disclose adverse facts about the dress having the lining cut out and the snags then the seller sold a dress that was not as described in her listing.

What’s baffling is it’s not like you wouldn’t notice once you received it. She should’ve sent you pics of the actual dress and told you the lining was missing.

Last edited:
I've done a not as described, promptly got an reply that if I don't like the dress I shouldn't have bought and she didn't mention lining in the description so I shouldn't expect to get it and she offered me a reduction of 5 (because obviously that makes the dress wearable?) and said if I want to send it back she will charge me both postage both ways and a fee of 30 for wasting her time.

I thought damaged if the item has a damage?

She possibly thought I wouldn't check or notice? But the actual pictures show clearly that it is worn with a slip that is cut to fit the asymmetric cut, one of the stock pics even has the model showing off the lining, it's basically like 2 dresses that are worn over each other otherwise it is so sheer that I would be flashing everybody.

I've done a not as described, promptly got an reply that if I don't like the dress I shouldn't have bought and she didn't mention lining in the description so I shouldn't expect to get it and she offered me a reduction of 5 (because obviously that makes the dress wearable?) and said if I want to send it back she will charge me both postage both ways and a fee of 30 for wasting her time.

She possibly thought I wouldn't check or notice? But the actual pictures show clearly that it is worn with a slip that is cut to fit the asymmetric cut, one of the stock pics even has the model showing off the lining, it's basically like 2 dresses that are worn over each other otherwise it is so sheer that I would be flashing everybody.

Do you mean you officially filed a SNAD? I would wait for eBay to make a decision. Did she send this message through eBay? She sounds like a piece of work, and if there is now a way to escalate your claim, I would do so. You should not have to pay return shipping. And she cannot charge you $30 for anything, LOL. The best thing you can do right now is just ignore her and let eBay do its job.

Cbarrus is correct. As long as you filed SNAD (not as described) through eBay then you should escalate it. She’s bluffing. She can’t charge you shipping both ways and she can’t charge you $30 for “her trouble”. Once you escalate it by asking eBay to step in, the seller will have to send you a shipping label. When she gets the item you’ll be refunded for the dress plus any shipping you paid in the original shipment. I would ignore her and let eBay handle it from here since she’s obviously being nasty about it.

Do you mean you officially filed a SNAD? I would wait for eBay to make a decision. Did she send this message through eBay? She sounds like a piece of work, and if there is now a way to escalate your claim, I would do so. You should not have to pay return shipping. And she cannot charge you $30 for anything, LOL. The best thing you can do right now is just ignore her and let eBay do its job.

I pressed the button that I would like to return and that the item was not as described in the options.

Yes, she sent the messages through eBay, I think they said something about a few days to work things out with the seller and if not I can ask them to step in.

I was wondering how she is going to charge me, lol, it seemed a bit absurd. I checked out her profile and she had a few bad feedbacks, regarding selling items as new that weren't but a lot of good ones, but they were not specific and the positive ones were almost all private auctions, so you can't see what she sold. I thought everybody can have the odd disgruntled buyer, so I didn't really pay much attention as the overall feedback was still in the 90%

Once you opened the dispute, you should have a message either on the transaction, dispute or email page that tells you when you can escalate it.

If the seller responds quickly, I think you can choose to escalate.

Just so you know, feedback of less than 98% isn't real good. It sounds like this seller makes a habit of not describing her items honestly.

If you don't mind, I'd be interested in seeing the listing as well as looking at her feedback.

Once you opened the dispute, you should have a message either on the transaction, dispute or email page that tells you when you can escalate it.

If the seller responds quickly, I think you can choose to escalate.

Just so you know, feedback of less than 98% isn't real good. It sounds like this seller makes a habit of not describing her items honestly.

If you don't mind, I'd be interested in seeing the listing as well as looking at her feedback.

I think eBay must have changed something, the listing doesn't come up anymore and if I give the number in, it shows up as an open case in my eBay...

I think hers was around 95% or so, I just thought a lot of people if happy do not leave FB, so she might have had the odd unreasonable one. Still totally puzzled as to why somebody would remove the lining of a dress and render it totally unwearable for anybody but an exhibitionist.

I would have been totally happy if she would have sent the lining, it could easily have been reattached, when I turn the dress inside out, it shows that it was attached to the dress on several points but the seams there have been unpicked. It was a bit of a drama from the start, from payment date to getting the dress took almost 4 weeks, she claimed she keeps on forgetting to send it. I totally understand that people have busy lives and I didn't buy it to wear at a specific date, I asked her after 2 weeks if she would please send it, and got quite a snappy reply back that she has a life and isn't at my beck and call. I think I will avoid her in the future.

eBay seems to be getting really weird, lately people sell something and when you win, they cancel the auction and relist, with the starting price slightly above your winning bid.

I think eBay must have changed something, the listing doesn't come up anymore and if I give the number in, it shows up as an open case in my eBay...

I think hers was around 95% or so, I just thought a lot of people if happy do not leave FB, so she might have had the odd unreasonable one. Still totally puzzled as to why somebody would remove the lining of a dress and render it totally unwearable for anybody but an exhibitionist.

I would have been totally happy if she would have sent the lining, it could easily have been reattached, when I turn the dress inside out, it shows that it was attached to the dress on several points but the seams there have been unpicked. It was a bit of a drama from the start, from payment date to getting the dress took almost 4 weeks, she claimed she keeps on forgetting to send it. I totally understand that people have busy lives and I didn't buy it to wear at a specific date, I asked her after 2 weeks if she would please send it, and got quite a snappy reply back that she has a life and isn't at my beck and call. I think I will avoid her in the future.

eBay seems to be getting really weird, lately people sell something and when you win, they cancel the auction and relist, with the starting price slightly above your winning bid.
What is the item number?

What is the item number?

Doesn't come up anymore and her account is inactive (not a registered user)

Could it be that because I had bought it ages ago and she sent after more than 4 weeks, there was always something going on, I totally understand that people have busy lives and can't drop everything to run to the post office, but 4 weeks is taking the p...

One can only hope that she was kicked off because of the way she has responded to you. If she was NARU'd, I am not sure how eBay will handle your claim, but I would think that it will be settled rather quickly. Do you even have an address to send it back now?