Tech Which cellphone do you have?

I have an iphone 5. I'd like something with more memory but don't want to pay the price. So far I've gotten all my phones for "free" ....so $1,000 for a phone just doesn't seem worth it.

I have an iphone 5. I'd like something with more memory but don't want to pay the price. So far I've gotten all my phones for "free" ....so $1,000 for a phone just doesn't seem worth it.

You can easily pick up a refurb iPhone 7 for $250-300, or a more recent/faster refurb Galaxy S8 for $300-350. Phones are so good right now that there's no need to buy brand new.

Reactions: Lilybarb
You can easily pick up a refurb iPhone 7 for $250-300, or a more recent/faster refurb Galaxy S8 for $300-350. Phones are so good right now that there's no need to buy brand new.
Agreed. The refurbished ones from the carrier are cheaper & have been gone over to work out any bugs whereas the new ones may have an issue no ones knows about until the unfortunate purchases it.

I can get a refurb from Sprint
I've been cautioned that there could be a security risk buying one from someplace like ebay

Sure, but for anyone else reading this, a reputable eBay seller will have a high rating with lots of positive reviews and give you the IMEI number so you can verify through your carrier that it's not a stolen phone. iPhones have to have a clean IMEI number in order to be activated. As long as you do some basic homework, eBay is a good source.

Sure, but for anyone else reading this, a reputable eBay seller will have a high rating with lots of positive reviews and give you the IMEI number so you can verify through your carrier that it's not a stolen phone. iPhones have to have a clean IMEI number in order to be activated. As long as you do some basic homework, eBay is a good source.
thanks
I do go to ebay for smaller electronics related purchases - battery for laptop, cover for iphone. I always stick with power sellers with tons of positive FB

thanks
I do go to ebay for smaller electronics related purchases - battery for laptop, cover for iphone. I always stick with power sellers with tons of positive FB

I have a Samsung S8, and I do love it. I have never had an iPhone, although I did have an iPad and iPad Mini, both of which I sold in favor of a Samsung tablet. The good news there is that Apple does hold its value better. Funny story - I really want the S10 or S10+, but when I told my husband, he says, "why do you want to spend money on another phone when you mostly call me?" Good point. But not what I wanted to hear, LOL.

Reactions: Lilybarb
I have a Samsung S8, and I do love it. I have never had an iPhone, although I did have an iPad and iPad Mini, both of which I sold in favor of a Samsung tablet. The good news there is that Apple does hold its value better. Funny story - I really want the S10 or S10+, but when I told my husband, he says, "why do you want to spend money on another phone when you mostly call me?" Good point. But not what I wanted to hear, LOL.

I've mentioned this before, but I'm currently using a OnePlus 3T...from 2016! (gasp!). In a few months it will be 3 years old, so I guess I'll upgrade. The only thing I've noticed is the battery might be losing capacity and Google Maps takes a bit to load and move around in, so when I'm last minute navigating, it's caused me to miss faster routes. Also, Tinder is taking forever to open up. Haha! Point is...I was looking at the S8. There's an international dual SIM version I can pick up for about $350. Or you can sell me yours when you get the S10. :smile:
Samsung has been putting out some solid phones lately and, while biased, I feel they're more featured and a much better value than iPhones. People just refuse to break out of that ecosystem (even though it's really not that hard).
How do you like your S8? Any issues?

I've mentioned this before, but I'm currently using a OnePlus 3T...from 2016! (gasp!). In a few months it will be 3 years old, so I guess I'll upgrade. The only thing I've noticed is the battery might be losing capacity and Google Maps takes a bit to load and move around in, so when I'm last minute navigating, it's caused me to miss faster routes. Also, Tinder is taking forever to open up. Haha! Point is...I was looking at the S8. There's an international dual SIM version I can pick up for about $350. Or you can sell me yours when you get the S10. :smile:
Samsung has been putting out some solid phones lately and, while biased, I feel they're more featured and a much better value than iPhones. People just refuse to break out of that ecosystem (even though it's really not that hard).
How do you like your S8? Any issues?

Honestly, it is a great phone. And, interestingly, T-Mobile will still sell it to you at the full retail price, LOL. It's the reason why I will not upgrade now, because I cannot justify the extra money just to have the latest and greatest. My husband and I each have one and have not had a problem with either phone as far as battery life, etc. Having said that we are not on it 24/7, and do not do a lot of streaming on it or anything that would eat up battery life. I do like that it is a fast charge, and mine will charge usually in about an hour. I do like having the latest software, however, and T-Mobile is very slow in approving updates. So I am waiting on Pie to hopefully be pushed out shortly. I looked at the S10 yesterday and compared to my phone ,and I do not see a difference in screen size or speed. Their big sell is the extra cameras, but that doesn't interest me enough to pay for it now.

Couldn't deal with my aged iPhone 6s+ anymore (little to no battery charge, apps just disappeared, etc.) so after reading many MANY reviews I got the Samsung Galaxy S10. So far happy with it but it does take some getting used to after having an iPhone for so long. The S10 battery is superb!