My chanel is sent for a clasp change

Bunnybunny88

Jul 22, 2015
I live in Toronto, Canada and my chanel was sent for a clasp change yesterday. How long does it take?

Also mine was brand new unused but clasp was defective and they refused for an exchange. I'm very unhappy with this and I'm planning on selling the bag as soon as it comes back from the store cuz I have hard time accepting 'less than perfect Bag' even though it will be perfect afterwards.

1. Does anyone know how long it will take to get clasp change in canada? (Sent via chanel boutique) Do they make it so it is perfect? They wont comr back with more defects?

2. Where can I sell my chanel? Other than eBay? (I'm in canada)

It's brand new so it's quite upsetting.

If it was brand new, why wouldn’t they take it back? Did you wait too long? If you know you have a hard time accepting a less than perfect bag, why didn’t you inspect it in the store or soon after you got home?

You’ll probably unfortunately lose money if you sell it.

If it was brand new, why wouldn’t they take it back? Did you wait too long? If you know you have a hard time accepting a less than perfect bag, why didn’t you inspect it in the store or soon after you got home?

Based on another thread, she bought it last year and only just recently found out the clasp defect when she tried using it for the first time. I agree that she will most likely lose money if she sells it right now unless it’s a mini, then maybe she might profit. But since she bought it last year, she might be able to break even due to the price increase.

I agree that she should have inspected thoroughly before purchase so she wouldn’t be this “unhappy” a year later.

Reactions: snibor

I inspected it at the store. My first one was defective so I clearly inspected the second one I just didn't know the turnlock was weird cuz it was my first chanel. I wouldn't have known at all if I didn't try other turnlock. I never thought this kind of defective even exist . I only looked for stitches and stuff. I also don't like my purse to wear at all so I used clasp and inspected inside like twice and didn't notice thing at all.

1. How would WE know how long it would take? Didn't the store give you a time estimate?
2. Seems very silly if you had the bag over a year and they are going to fix the clasp for you that you would sell it just because of that. Obviously you didn't care for the bag or you would have worn the bag over the past year and noticed if there was defect or problem with the clasp sooner. So do you, I guess.

1. How would WE know how long it would take? Didn't the store give you a time estimate?
2. Seems very silly if you had the bag over a year and they are going to fix the clasp for you that you would sell it just because of that. Obviously you didn't care for the bag or you would have worn the bag over the past year and noticed if there was defect or problem with the clasp sooner. So do you, I guess.

Well everyone has their own reasons. I was pregnant and moving to the different country and was told I shouldn't buy expensive stuff within 6 months of move, (otherwise i could be taxed), so I was rushed to buy. After a move, it's hectic and having a newborn makes it impossible to really carry (unless you are ok with baby mess on your purse) so I would appreciate if you are not so judgemental if you don't know their stories.
And I was simply asking about people's own experience , you don't have to be so rude about it.

Well everyone has their own reasons. I was pregnant and moving to the different country and was told I shouldn't buy expensive stuff within 6 months of move, (otherwise i could be taxed), so I was rushed to buy. After a move, it's hectic and having a newborn makes it impossible to really carry (unless you are ok with baby mess on your purse) so I would appreciate if you are not so judgemental if you don't know their stories.
And I was simply asking about people's own experience , you don't have to be so rude about it.

Well you mentioned they wouldn’t accept an exhange but you can’t actually expect them to when the purchase was made a year ago. You said you inspected it... yet you never checked the actual clasp even after you got home. I don’t think anyone is trying to be judgmental here but it does sound a little silly that you’re so unhappy and upset about it even if it comes back perfect. While I can sympathize that it really sucks you paid thousands for a bag that shouldn’t have any defects, it’s well known that Chanel has had some quality issues. That shouldn’t be the case but it is what it is. It comes down to whether you inspect it thoroughly or not, what you’re okay wi

From what I know, it can take up to 2 months or more depending on the issue. Let’s just hope it doesn’t. Ultimately it’s different times for different scenarios. Why don’t you just ask the store you took it into?

You might be better off waiting for the next price increase before selling it brand new so you don’t lose money. You can use consignment shops/sellers to sell them but they will take a cut of the money you sell it for.

Last edited:
Well you mentioned they wouldn’t accept an exhange but you can’t actually expect them to when the purchase was made a year ago. You said you inspected it... yet you never checked the actual clasp even after you got home. I don’t think anyone is trying to be judgmental here but it does sound a little silly that you’re so unhappy and upset about it even if it comes back perfect. While I can sympathize that it really sucks you paid thousands for a bag that shouldn’t have any defects, it’s well known that Chanel has had some quality issues. That shouldn’t be the case but it is what it is. It comes down to whether you inspect it thoroughly or not, what you’re okay wi

From what I know, it can take up to 2 months or more depending on the issue. Let’s just hope it doesn’t. Ultimately it’s different times for different scenarios. Why don’t you just ask the store you took it into?

You might be better off waiting for the next price increase before selling it brand new so you don’t lose money. You can use consignment shops/sellers to sell them but they will take a cut of the money you sell it for.

It was my first chanel.. and my pregnancy gift. I had no idea Chanel has a quality issue at all. I had zero knowledge when I bought it. :/
For my first chanel, I didn't inspect it at all, I just brought it home and just admired it until I realized black dye was on my hand, and confirmed it was chanel. (Washed hands, dried, Touched nothing but chanel as a test)

So for the second one, I inspected it well. I did open clasp and filled it with acid free paper. I didn't notice anything when I casually opened it. It was my first chanel, very smooth open, but it had a subtle spring sound. I thought it was normal, but I decided to use clasp again to check the inside, still then, I never thought it was defective. Then I asked this question to a forum and found out it was not normal, brought it to a boutique and found out it was not normal. I thought it was normal cuz I had no other chanel to compare it to and never paid close attention to clasp.

Next time, I sure will inspect every single thing for days. Th is is frightening

You seem to be facing very unique challenges with your Chanel bags. I have more bags than I want to admit and have seen a lot of issues. Dye and lock issues I have never seen although zipper issues not running smoothly on slg I have seen a lot.

I am in Toronto too. The last time I sent something for repair - it took 6 months. Also, none of the Chanel boutiques or Holt Renfew stores allow returns in Toronto.

My clasp change and replacement chain took 6 weeks, dropped off to Chanel in holt (bloor) mid November and it came back end of December. They did a great job, looks brand new. Hope it works out for you!

Reactions: Kailua
During last 20 years of buying Chanel products and still having 8 of their bags, I have only experienced hardware malfunctions -this is not a new thing.
I have had a turn lock fall off on a red flap bag after 3 times using, and shoulder chains come lose from black medium flap bag---but that's all--leather quality, dye, never a problem. My repairs were done within weeks, one right at the boutique (they had specific screw driver etc). The only time it took 3-4 months was when they were sent to France for overall refurbishing--but they came back looking great.

Reactions: Kailua
My crocodile skin medium flap also makes spring noise on the turnlock. I always think its the sound of the new turnlock which is not used much. Once I use it regularly the sound will go away. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think its an issue. Anyway, good luck with your decision. When you spend that much money on a bag, it should make u happy, else there's no point in keeping it.

Do u mind explaining the defect of your clasp?

My clasps aren’t all the same. Some are looser than others. The brand new ones feel tighter.

But I totally understand. My bags are my museum pieces :P. I love staring at them. But not really using them. Twice i’ve Only discovered some defects a year later! Of course They won’t exchange (only 14 days here ughh). But they’ll fix it. Depending on how receptive you country is, it can be just a month. It can also take forever! I suppose Canada shouldn’t be a problem. It’s those developing countries that take forever to repair.

Hope u’ll be happy w your Chanel after it comes back! I love all of mine :heart:

I live in Toronto, Canada and my chanel was sent for a clasp change yesterday. How long does it take?

Also mine was brand new unused but clasp was defective and they refused for an exchange. I'm very unhappy with this and I'm planning on selling the bag as soon as it comes back from the store cuz I have hard time accepting 'less than perfect Bag' even though it will be perfect afterwards.

1. Does anyone know how long it will take to get clasp change in canada? (Sent via chanel boutique) Do they make it so it is perfect? They wont comr back with more defects?

2. Where can I sell my chanel? Other than eBay? (I'm in canada)

It's brand new so it's quite upsetting.
I feel and hear your frustrations. Unfortunately it’s due to the customer to do their due diligence (wow there were a lot of do/due’s in that sentence, lol) when it comes to buying Chanel or anything nowadays for that matter. I’m sorry to hear the clasp has issues. My guess would be it would take some time to fix. I had my earrings sent to the boutique and it took almost 2 weeks, so I’m going to assume at least double that time for a clasp to be fixed.

Regarding where to sell, you can consign with Ann’s Fabulous Finds, sell or consign to Fashionphile and Yoogi’s Closet or try your hand selling locally on Craigslist. Good luck!