Would you say there is such a thing as “too big” when it comes to diamonds (If you had the money)?

M

MagpieInTraining

Just starting a (hopefully interesting) discussion amongst you lovely TPF members :smile:

Would you ever say that a diamond can be considered “too big”? This supposes that budget is not a concern, so assuming you have unlimited money (if you’re talking about too big for your own self). This can mean you personally choosing a smaller diamond over a bigger one (all else being equal, so not because the smaller has better cut, colour or clarity) or you seeing a diamond on another person and thinking it looks out of place and too large. It can be in the form of a ring, pendant, earring, bracelet etc.

Personally I think bigger is better unless it literally becomes too uncomfortable to wear! So in terms of earrings, such as studs, I do think there is a thing such as too big because it might not stay on my earlobe. Otherwise, if it is a drop earring, a pendant, a ring etc I have never seen anything on anyone I have considered too big to purchase if i had the money for it!

Interested to hear other’s thoughts :smile:

Yes, definitely. Look what happened to Kim K, even with bodyguards on the payroll. The one time the bodyguard is not around....flashy jewels can make you a target. Also, too many celebrities with massive jewels and no class really diminish the appeal of larger diamonds and just draw attention to their insecurities.

I actually don’t know the Kim K incident you’re talking about. Will go look it up now.

I do agree that people associate massive jewels with tackiness or overcompensation, maybe because of celebrities. But to me personally if I could afford it I would still get it. I once saw a 30ct diamond ring in a store and of course there was no way I could’ve afforded it, but oh I wanted it so badly. If I could afford it, i would have walked out with that monster on my hand haha. And then probably gotten mugged on the street :/

Yes. Diamonds that are too big can look tacky, plus are inappropriate (imo) for certain situations depending on lifestyle. As a SAHM currently I can’t imagine collecting my daughter from nursery or doing the food shop wearing huge diamonds, but then no one else I know does either (and I live in what is considered to be quite an affluent area). I don’t like drawing attention to myself, so even if I could afford huge diamonds I don’t know that I would ever wear them, they would just sit in my jewellery box to be admired!

Even if I could afford it, there is something about wearing a diamond, the cost of which could fundamentally change any number of people’s lives that I interact with on a daily basis, that would make me incredibly uncomfortable. So yes. I say for me, there is definitely such a thing as “too big”.

Yes, I definitely think there is such a thing as too big. I do not like big diamonds and do not have any, but that is a personal preference. I also think it depends on the person wearing them as to whether they can carry it off or not. I have never felt that I could for some reason. I have a friend, however, who can wear the door knocker pieces and they look great on her. I have lost so many diamond earrings over the years, and if I have a ring that sits up high on my hand , I am destined to knock it around , LOL. I think it is the same with very expensive handbags, if you have to worry about them when you go out, it does take some of the joy out of it for me.

Yes. Diamonds that are too big can look tacky, plus are inappropriate (imo) for certain situations depending on lifestyle. As a SAHM currently I can’t imagine collecting my daughter from nursery or doing the food shop wearing huge diamonds, but then no one else I know does either (and I live in what is considered to be quite an affluent area). I don’t like drawing attention to myself, so even if I could afford huge diamonds I don’t know that I would ever wear them, they would just sit in my jewellery box to be admired!

You make a good point about it being about lifestyle! I guess whenever I think about this I figure that if I could afford enormous diamonds I would probably have that kind of lifestyle where it doesn't look incongruous, necessarily. Then again, I am kind of an attention-hog (not in a bad way, but I like to dress up and wear statement pieces etc.)

Even if I could afford it, there is something about wearing a diamond, the cost of which could fundamentally change any number of people’s lives that I interact with on a daily basis, that would make me incredibly uncomfortable. So yes. I say for me, there is definitely such a thing as “too big”.

That's a viewpoint I hadn't considered! Very interesting to think about, the kind of message it sends I guess?

Yes, I definitely think there is such a thing as too big. I do not like big diamonds and do not have any, but that is a personal preference. I also think it depends on the person wearing them as to whether they can carry it off or not. I have never felt that I could for some reason. I have a friend, however, who can wear the door knocker pieces and they look great on her. I have lost so many diamond earrings over the years, and if I have a ring that sits up high on my hand , I am destined to knock it around , LOL. I think it is the same with very expensive handbags, if you have to worry about them when you go out, it does take some of the joy out of it for me.

I do agree that it depends on the person's style! And true, worrying about your possessions takes the joy out of it somewhat.

Follow up question to anyone reading the thread: have you ever seen anyone personally with a "too big" (in your opinion) stone? Did it change your perception of them?

Depends on your social circle and where you live, really. In my home town if I sported anything above a carat or so in a ring, most people would assume it was a fake.

Also depends on the shape of the stone, imho fancy shapes are better for larger sizes, see JLO ring as an example!

Reactions: liliBuo
Yes.... I’ve seen big diamond rings, some beautiful ones (mostly around the upper East). I love to admire large beautiful diamonds (and colored gemstones too), and as one poster said, if it fits the person’s lifestyle, go for it.

The worst is a huge low color diamond.

As you know, the bigger the diamond the more important to have a good color. I’ve seen a couple of huge diamonds that are clearly a K color or worse.

And yes... it does make me see them in a different light, as in.... “you bought this huge diamond totally for size even though the color is low you can see the yellow.”

Everyone knows, if money were unlimited, true luxury, the ultimate diamond is a huge flawless D color. So when I see a person who can
pay for a 10-20 carat diamond and it’s a poor quality, yes... it changes my opinion of them as in “it’s all show” hoping no one will notice. Many in their circle do notice but just don’t say anything.

Just my two cents. I am sure there are people with 10-20 ct, K or lower color diamonds that would disagree with me, but that’s my opinion. Jewelry is very personal and as they say, one person’s junk is another’s treasure.

And yes, to your first question... I think being over the top if it’s your social circle is ok.

But at that level of bling, it’s about size AND quality to me.

Just my thoughts.

And for me... my dream diamond if money were no object (totally dreaming here) the perfect size for me is a 10ct Flawless D color round in a simple Tiffany setting). Because a 20 carat would be too big for my hand. Ooohhh.... I need to go back to bed and dream again! [emoji1]

Oh.... and I have seen Elizabeth Taylor’s massive 33ct Krupp diamond ring. It was amazing and I was in awe. But for me, even if money were no object, the size was just so huge. I’m sticking with my 10ct dream size and I like big bling too and not shy about wearing it.

Fun thread OP... thanks for starting this one.

Last edited: