Entrupy is not dependable!

BeenBurned

Coach, Dooney, Uggs
Authenticator
O.G.
Feb 25, 2007
Since I'd first heard about Entrupy and its "ability" to authenticate through computer algorithms, I had doubts about the dependability, but not having seen evidence in brands I know of mistakes, I couldn't be sure.

After what I saw today, I offer a strong caveat because if a mistake can be made on such an obvious Coach fake, I have no doubt that they make mistakes on other brands and AAA/5-star fakes!

This post from @Hyacinth has a picture of the certificate (and I'm comfortable enough to believe that Goodwill did NOT forge the cert) and the fake bag:
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...ost-for-format.889527/page-2352#post-32967529

This is the Goodwill listing:
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/64522716

If the computer was programmed right, it would have been easy to catch that mistake. Obviously they aren't looking at the same details that we do in order to determine authenticity. I believe I read that they look at things like stitch length and material grain. If they aren't checking things like numbers and fonts, I imagine lots of fakes slip by them.

If the computer was programmed right, it would have been easy to catch that mistake. Obviously they aren't looking at the same details that we do in order to determine authenticity. I believe I read that they look at things like stitch length and material grain. If they aren't checking things like numbers and fonts, I imagine lots of fakes slip by them.

That's why I can't understand why they would even bother with older Coach styles. Not just because they're usually too inexpensive to even warrant that kind of paid authentication, but where are they getting their baseline examples from? How do they know THOSE are genuine? Older Coaches were hand-sewn and there were always variations in things like stitch length and even leather grain, and that's just the things that their computers and lasers can supposedly measure. What happens when they get into the REAL variations, like what's shown in the example BeenBurned posted?

I can only speak confidently about classic and vintageCoach products, but as an authenticator here at tPF, just my text files on Coach covering things like valid and invalid date and plant codes are long and complicated, and the idea that any computer algorithm could use them effectively, if they even had access to them, is totally ridiculous. And that's not even including my photos files which are massive. The other Coach authenticators have the same kind of library and we all refer to those files almost every day since Coach authentication can hang on something as miniscule and almost unmeasureable as the exact length of an underscore or hyphen. And then there are the known and suspected fake serial numbers or serial prefixes, which Entrupy proved in the above example that they're totally clueless about.

Any computer program that its creators claim can tell the difference between a genuine and a fake Coach, ESPECIALLY an older one, is a waste of electrons and a danger to anyone depending on it for making buying decisions. There's absolutely NO way I would ever accept or depend on any so-called authentication for a pre-2000 Coach product. I'm amazed that Goodwill is wasting their money by tossing it at a company that is incapable of giving them the "computer-based" services that Goodwill is paying for. If Entrupy is authenticating older or vintage Coaches they're not using any kind of computer system to do it unless they're just searching Google for similar style numbers, which is what any fly-by-night "authentication service" does. And they'll be making just as many mistakes.

Is there even a was to contact them to let them know of errors?

^^^ it should say, "is there a WAY to contact them?"
There is a YouTube video by Escala Manila promoting this device on which I commented. The "Director of Business Development" at Entrupy then replied to my comment, claiming that their algorithm is 99,1% accurate and that it's still improving constantly through machine learning, using "over 100 Million images from diverse sources from all over the world" (which doesn't make sense at all, I find).

She also gave me her email address, in case I should have further questions. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to paste her contact information in here, but you'll find it in her comment under the video: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwitpYiyv_rgAhVBJ1AKHWT8At0QtwIwAHoECAoQAQ&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiGapz44Odg&usg=AOvVaw03Q_S7FSvXIlU4CNIbEDmW
The account name is "Entrupy".

Last edited:
If the images "from diverse sources from all over the world" aren't of authentic items (and clearly, they don't know), what good is their algorithm?

You got it!

And with as many AAA and Superfakes that we've seen not just with Coach but especially with brands like LV, Chanel, Hermes, etc, the only photo sources I would even trust, and only on recent styles, would be photos supplied directly by the manufacturer. I seriously doubt if Entrupy would be given access to photos like that. As for Coach, throw all the thousands of possible valid and invalid Coach serial number, creed and font variations and even a Cray supercomputer couldn't handle OR analyze all the variables, much less have access to them. Sometimes, luckily not often, we three regular Coach authenticators don't even agree, or will go through two or three pages of posted photos and information before narrowing down the possibilities.

And depending on photos from "diverse sources from all over the world"??? That's just asking for trouble.

Last edited:

So it probably cost the GW store with the listing linked in the first post between 15 and 20 dollars EACH to "authenticate" a lot of 2 vintage Coaches that sold for 42 dollars and change, and one of them was fake. NOT what I'd call an effective return on their investment.

I've seen some GW listings from various stores that mention using a professional service and others that don't. Wonder if it's a company-wide thing or if each store can choose whether or not to participate? When it comes to well-used vintage Coaches that often sell for less than 30 dollars, it feels to me like a waste of money, especially if this is an example of Entrupy's track record with those kinds of "Coach". Goodwill could flip a coin or use a Ouija board and have the same kind of accuracy, as well as saving the 15 or 20 dollar authentication cost.