Jury duty excuses could bring charges

caitlin1214

tPF Bish
O.G.
Jul 7, 2006
Tue Jul 10, 8:24 AM ET

BARNSTABLE, Mass. - A Cape Cod man who claimed he was homophobic, racist and a habitual liar to avoid jury duty earned an angry rebuke from a judge on Monday, who referred the case to prosecutors for possible charges.
"In 32 years of service in courtrooms, as a prosecutor, as a defense attorney and now as a judge, I have quite frankly never confronted such a brazen situation of an individual attempting to avoid juror service," Barnstable Superior Court Judge Gary Nickerson told Daniel Ellis, according to a preliminary court transcript of the exchange.
Ellis, of Falmouth, had been called to court with about 60 other potential jurors for possible service on a 23-member grand jury.
On a questionnaire that all potential jurors fill out, Ellis wrote that he didn't like homosexuals and blacks. He then echoed those sentiments in an interview with Nickerson.
"You say on your form that you're not a fan of homosexuals," Nickerson said.
"That I'm a racist," Ellis interrupted.
"I'm frequently found to be a liar, too. I can't really help it," Ellis added.
"I'm sorry?" Nickerson said.
"I said I'm frequently found to be a liar," Ellis replied.
"So, are you lying to me now?" Nickerson asked.
"Well, I don't know. I might be," was the response.
Ellis then admitted he really didn't want to serve on a jury.
"I have the distinct impression that you're intentionally trying to avoid jury service," Nickerson said.
"That's true," Ellis answered.
Nickerson ordered Ellis taken into custody. He was released later Monday morning.
Ellis could face perjury and other charges.

(http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070710...ctant_juror;_ylt=AoDQtfBT0I.BCs68zcPQuXXtiBIF)

Homer Simpson once said, to get out of jury duty, "just say you're prejudiced against all races."

And we all laughed, but I never thought someone would be stupid enough to take it seriously!

I got one a couple of years back, but the case got canceled like many of them do so it wasn't a big deal :smile: That is hilarious though! I'm sure he could have been more subtle.

I'm only 24 and have been called for jury duty 3 times!!! Each time I was in college and had a ligtimate excuse to get out of it because I wasn't in the county (my college was about an hour away from my home). I'm just crossing my fingers that I never get called again, because now I don't have that excuse. :P:noggin:

Wow, that's crazy! I've been summoned once, but I was in college, so I had a legit excuse. My husband seems to be summoned all the time! He either doesn't get chosen for jury or it's a really small + short case and is done by the end of the day.

People like that man deserve to go to jail for blatantly trying to avoid jury duty. Just do what you need to do and that's it.

Ducking jury duty can cost you big time.

If you try to get out of jury duty for a lame excuse (like racism) you will be tagged for extra-horrible jury duty.

Illustrative example:
You are called in for jury duty. The case involves a gay guy who was beat up outside a bar.

You tell the judge you are anti-gay to get out of jury duty.

Next time your name comes up for jury duty, you will be called for a months-long case involving an ugly murder wherein the suspect is the mother in law.

I kid you not.

Never invent excuses to get out of jury duty.

Ducking jury duty can cost you big time.

If you try to get out of jury duty for a lame excuse (like racism) you will be tagged for extra-horrible jury duty.

Illustrative example:
You are called in for jury duty. The case involves a gay guy who was beat up outside a bar.

You tell the judge you are anti-gay to get out of jury duty.

Next time your name comes up for jury duty, you will be called for a months-long case involving an ugly murder wherein the suspect is the mother in law.

I kid you not.

Never invent excuses to get out of jury duty.

Agreed :yes:

Earlier this year I got called for jury duty and put in the pool for a case that they expected to last 3-6 months. At the time, I was freelancing and if I didn't work, I didn't get paid. Thankfully I was dismissed after explaining my situation.

I then got put in the pool for a 2-week trial. It was for a guy who got busted smoking pot while driving. I was excused after answering questions during selection by the prosection. I have a feeling they thought since I was on the young end of the people in the group that I would be considered lenient on the suspect.

I have seen a judge almost put a woman in jail because she said she couldn't be on the jury because she had to take care of her kids. Then she admitted she worked and the kids were in daycare. (how stupid was that?)