Prevent colour transfer on light leathers?

B4GBuff

Feb 1, 2019
Is there a product you can use on light coloured leathers like white, cream etc to prevent colour transfers from clothing etc? Or that will make it easier to remove stains etc? I have usually used darker coloured bags so it wasn’t a concern but I just ordered a light cream coloured bag and now I am a bit worried about keeping it looking it’s best.

With my light colored leather, I treat with a conditioner often. I don't know if all conditioners will provide protection. The one I use is Blackrock Leather n Rich. It's kind of waxy. If I do get transfer, it cleans off.

Is there a product you can use on light coloured leathers like white, cream etc to prevent colour transfers from clothing etc? Or that will make it easier to remove stains etc? I have usually used darker coloured bags so it wasn’t a concern but I just ordered a light cream coloured bag and now I am a bit worried about keeping it looking it’s best.

With leather bags, if you get a color transfer worse case you can always just recolor the bag. We often get bags in for color transfers and we mimic the color as close to the original as possible to hide the stain. The best thing to do is not wear dark colored clothing and to waterproof the bag. Leather lotions will keep the bag hydrated, but they will not prevent the stains from happening.

I use Apple brand conditioner on my bags. I recently purchased a florentine D&B Hattie in light taupe. I own many dark bags but this light color is new to me & I’m concerned about possible color transfer.
Does anyone know if Apple conditioner discourages color transfer?

I use Apple brand conditioner on my bags. I recently purchased a florentine D&B Hattie in light taupe. I own many dark bags but this light color is new to me & I’m concerned about possible color transfer.
Does anyone know if Apple conditioner discourages color transfer?
I would use Kiwi Protect-All for that. Also Apple can cause yellowing on light colors.

Thsnks, I didn’t know if Apple would discourage or not. I doubt a thin conditioner would yellow leather tho. Natural oxidation over time however will.
I just know some members had trouble with it. Sunlight can also contribute, I use Maguires Leather Conditioner which has UV protection.
So with the Kiwi Protect - All, which is an aeresol spray, I have found that any dirt or stain wipes off very easily and thoroughly compared to bags I did not treat.
Also I did read that article, I would be very careful with a Mr. Clean eraser, however the white erasers sold at art/craft stores are very effective and more gentle.

The author is a tpfer but obviously has never visited the Coach rehab club because she says, "It’s never a great idea to subject leather items to a soap-and-water cleaning" It actually is a great idea for vintage Coach. Nearly all of my vintage Coach bags have been washed and even some newer ones. I have the Coach cleaner and I don't see how it works any better than anything else I've used. My favorite leather cleaner for items I can't wash in soapy water is vinegar.

I've recently tried Whateve's idea to use a coat of Blackrock's Leather N Rich. It leaves a light waxy coating so you can wipe the bag. It also makes the leather look great! Make sure to follow the instructions & wipe off the excess right away so the coating won't be too thick.

Reactions: whateve
My favorite leather cleaner for items I can't wash in soapy water is vinegar.
Do you have any experience of washing a NVT in Oak by Mulberry? I'd like to buy a pre-loved but they are often quite dirty... or the price is almost same than in the stores after regular discount...