Do I have to clean my(unused) chanel

Bunnybunny88

Jul 22, 2015
Hi everyone
I bought chanel classic cc in black as celebration of my pregnancy last year, but ironically never used it so far especially since the baby is born (No time to go out either :sad:) so my chanel is sitting in my closet in its original dust bag in its box and I wrapped the chain with acid free paper to protect.
However I did take the bag out just to admire every now and then. Other than that, bag has been sitting in a closet. I recently found out bag need a to be conditioned but does "unused" bag need to be conditioned too???

Also wrapping chain with acid free paper to make it look more like when u first got it is a bad idea ?
Please someone let me know.

I agree with Swanky, I have never conditioned mine and I have been collecting Chanel bags for 10 years. If there is a mark on a bag after I use it then I wipe it off with clean cloth but that doesn’t happen very often. My bags all still look brand new without any specific treatment. I would not condition a new unused bag. Having said that, I only have one lambskin bag so the answer may be different from all the lambskin Chanel collectors

Reactions: rosarojo
I would echo that. If necessary I go over mine with a wipe and soft cloth but only once in a while. I don't put any conditioner or cleaner on them and I have mix of lambskin, caviar and patent. If it ain't broke don't fix it! That said I have recently bought a preloved caviar which might have a faint mark but then again it might be my ocd eyes but I am thinking I may just leave it rather than mess with it and make it worse. My view is that despite all the protestations about quality the bags are of a high enough quality to need little if any maintenance.

Reactions: rosarojo
Hi everyone
I bought chanel classic cc in black as celebration of my pregnancy last year, but ironically never used it so far especially since the baby is born (No time to go out either :sad:) so my chanel is sitting in my closet in its original dust bag in its box and I wrapped the chain with acid free paper to protect. However I did take the bag out just to admire every now and then. Other than that, bag has been sitting in a closet. I recently found out bag need a to be conditioned but does "unused" bag need to be conditioned too??? Also wrapping chain with acid free paper to make it look more like when u first got it is a bad idea ? Please someone let me know.

Anything I buy pre-loved gets one conditioning/cleaning treatment with Meltonian cream when I first get it. After that, I don't really touch the leather...maybe the CC hardware gets a soft cloth polishing but that's about it. My brand new bags don't get conditioned/cleaned at all since it's never been used other than myself.
However, over the weekend, my 4 year old somehow managed to get ketchup on one of my seasonal flaps (gasp!). I quickly wiped it off then used a wet cloth to get rid of any remnants. It was fine...no sign of ketchup stain(s)...I didn't even need to condition the leather afterwards.