Chevre Chamkila

I’m Gujarati and it also means “shiny” in that language too!

I also hear folks say “Chamkili” which means “bright.” So both words are pretty close in meaning.

I wonder why all the Chèvre leather have Indian names? It’s super interesting.

Mysore- City in India
Coromandel- coastal area of southern India
Chandra- means “moon” in Hindi And is the name of the Moon deity in the Hindu religion.
Chamkila- means “shiny” in several native Indian languages.

Don’t forget Mangalore!
It was briefly offered and very shiny.

I’m Gujarati and it also means “shiny” in that language too!

I also hear folks say “Chamkili” which means “bright.” So both words are pretty close in meaning.

I wonder why all the Chèvre leather have Indian names? It’s super interesting.

Mysore- City in India
Coromandel- coastal area of southern India
Chandra- means “moon” in Hindi And is the name of the Moon deity in the Hindu religion.
Chamkila- means “shiny” in several native Indian languages.
My SA told me that Chevre leather originates from India and is named after the region where it comes from. Just my guess but: If H would take this ‘rule‘ seriously, they would need to change the name of the leather every time they are purchasing the leather from a different place. Using a name like Chamkila is probably making things easier as the exact origin is kept more vague. ;)

My SA told me that Chevre leather originates from India and is named after the region where it comes from. Just my guess but: If H would take this ‘rule‘ seriously, they would need to change the name of the leather every time they are purchasing the leather from a different place. Using a name like Chamkila is probably making things easier as the exact origin is kept more vague. ;)

I bet you are right (so sneaky of H)

My SA is offering me Kelly 25 Anemone Sellier Chamkila goat skin. I'm not familiar with this leather. Any hermes lover can give me any insights on the leather.
Perhaps reading this thread might be helpful. ;)

If I recall correctly, previously there were also Bleu Hydra and Black Kelly Selliers offered in this leather. These are push offers.

ETA: I made a mistake. It's Chèvre Chandra Kelly instead (and it was Bleu Zanzibar not Hydra).

Last edited:
Reactions: azukitea
It is a lot more matte and supple than Mysore which to me has some kind of a plastic coating feel to it but the grains for both are similar. It is not completely matte, still a natural sheen.

Hello Hermes lovers!

I have recently purchased a stunning Kelly 25 in noir chevre chamkila and as it’s a recently new leather I wondered if anyone had any insights on it? I absolutely love its sheen. With time is this likely to patina to more shine or not? is it likely to puddle. Is storing standing upright with light stuffing ok?
many thanks all

Hello Hermes lovers!

I have recently purchased a stunning Kelly 25 in noir chevre chamkila and as it’s a recently new leather I wondered if anyone had any insights on it? I absolutely love its sheen. With time is this likely to patina to more shine or not? is it likely to puddle. Is storing standing upright with light stuffing ok?
many thanks all

I have SLGs. Hardier and not as supple as Chèvre Mysore, not as structured as Chèvre de Coromandel (male mountain goat)