VINTAGE KELLY BAGS? or older beaten up ones? anyone

Wow Cordie! 70- it' amazing! I feel your pain on the wanting to keep but it not really going with your wardrobe part. I am in the same position with my Sac Cecile ( from 1977). For me, I half heartedly listed it, but probably will take it down and only sell it if I really need to in order to meet my cash goal for my upgrade...otherwise, if I can I think I am fine with keeping it for occasional wear, and I think you should not feel guilty for this either!

Thanks for getting it. I have a lot of vintage lady bags that I carry on date nights with DH. They work great with my wardrobe and lifestyle. I wish one could know whether a bag would work for them before purchasing it. It is like trying to purchase a winning lottery ticket. You just don't know until it is yours. Always a gamble.

I rarely carry the porc kelly but have zero ambivalence about it. On the other hand, I have a Fendi spy bag that I love but won't carry, but also won't sell because I would get so little for it. It is not like it is taking up massive amounts of space in my house but I feel bad owning it and not carrying it. The only thing in life that has caused me more ambivalence than handbags was bad boyfriends in my past. Thank goodness I won't be going there again.

What color is your Sac Cecile? Is color the reason you are maybe letting it go?

I know the title of this thread refers to Vintage Kelly or older beaten up ones,
but it has really shown that 'older' does not necessarily mean beaten up.
It is a testament to the underlying quality of materials and craftsmanship - that which we cite to justify spending 1000s.
No doubt. But there is also a lot to be said about a bag that is been used and enjoyed without fear. Personally I love some character into an old Kelly bag and I see it as a bonus testament to the superior quality and the antithesis of the throw away tendencies infesting the planet.

1949 28 Vache. All of my bags are varying degrees of vintage but this one is the oldest by far. She looks good for 70. I bought her on ebay from another member of the purse forum for only $2,000. She had been well massaged many time with Blackrocks, so she is velvety, supple, and smooth. She does scuff easily, but the marks disappear with a touch of Blackrocks. I love the patina on the flap.

Here she is with her favorite scarf. Art des Steppes.

View attachment 4343478

Here she is with her sister who is porc from the 1990s.

View attachment 4343484

Here she is on the one evening in the last 5 years that it was cold enough to wear my fur coat (I live in a sub tropical climate). I tell myself DH & I should go to NYC in the winter so I could wear my coat and carry this bag, but then I remember how miserable snow slush can be.

View attachment 4343491

I struggle with trying to feel ok about being a collector and not carrying all of my bags. I love owning this one for the history and for its amazing hand. But the color doesn't work in my wardrobe which is almost all jewel tone. So every year in the fall I think about rehoming to someone who would carry her, and then I back out because of the hassle of selling. Then I start fantasizing about getting her a Rebbeca Minkoff guitar strap and letting her be edgy. Think I think about dressing her up with a tone on tone twillie (tan Passages to Toyoko). But mostly I do nothing but admire her. She has a very active position in my fantasy life regarding carrying my bags, but less so IRL.
I do love this bag! Personally I would never wear any kind of fur, but this bag would look fantastic with jeans, with a cashmere coat, with sandals even... do many possibilities!

Thanks for getting it. I have a lot of vintage lady bags that I carry on date nights with DH. They work great with my wardrobe and lifestyle. I wish one could know whether a bag would work for them before purchasing it. It is like trying to purchase a winning lottery ticket. You just don't know until it is yours. Always a gamble.

I rarely carry the porc kelly but have zero ambivalence about it. On the other hand, I have a Fendi spy bag that I love but won't carry, but also won't sell because I would get so little for it. It is not like it is taking up massive amounts of space in my house but I feel bad owning it and not carrying it. The only thing in life that has caused me more ambivalence than handbags was bad boyfriends in my past. Thank goodness I won't be going there again.

What color is your Sac Cecile? Is color the reason you are maybe letting it go?

Yes, mostly because the gold color doesn’t really work in my wardrobe very well (and I just bought an etoupe Evelyne that does go with most things I wear). But it is in such good shape for its age it is so hard to let it go and I’m always excited that I have a bag so old that looks nearly new.

Reactions: Cookiefiend
1949 28 Vache. All of my bags are varying degrees of vintage but this one is the oldest by far. She looks good for 70. I bought her on ebay from another member of the purse forum for only $2,000. She had been well massaged many time with Blackrocks, so she is velvety, supple, and smooth. She does scuff easily, but the marks disappear with a touch of Blackrocks. I love the patina on the flap.

View attachment 4343478

View attachment 4343484

Here she is on the one evening in the last 5 years that it was cold enough to wear my fur coat (I live in a sub tropical climate). I tell myself DH & I should go to NYC in the winter so I could wear my coat and carry this bag, but then I remember how miserable snow slush can be.

View attachment 4343491

I struggle with trying to feel ok about being a collector and not carrying all of my bags. I love owning this one for the history and for its amazing hand. But the color doesn't work in my wardrobe which is almost all jewel tone. So every year in the fall I think about rehoming to someone who would carry her, and then I back out because of the hassle of selling. Then I start fantasizing about getting her a Rebbeca Minkoff guitar strap and letting her be edgy. Think I think about dressing her up with a tone on tone twillie (tan Passages to Toyoko). But mostly I do nothing but admire her. She has a very active position in my fantasy life regarding carrying my bags, but less so IRL.

love your bags! they are beautiful and with character. Does the peau porc come in black or dyed black after market?

View attachment 4343478

View attachment 4343484

View attachment 4343491

Wow, this Kelly of yours is amazing! IMO she would love lovely with jewel tones. I had to laugh when you described your difficulties with the color and thoughts of different straps and twillies to try to make her work. I have the exact same feelings about a very different Kelly — mine is Rouge Vif Box with GHW, and I struggle to make this bag “fit.” But as you put it, it has a very active place in my bag fantasy life, and I find it too beautiful to let go!

I can't deny that there is a colour or at least a tonal value
but somehow vache natural, peau de porc, fauve barenia and other natural heritage skins of their ilk seem to transcend colour and become universal leather bags so their essential gold/tan palette is not the most obvious element of their appearance.

I totally agree. I don’t tend to love brown bags, but my vintage fauve Barenia K goes with everything and I wear it all the time. Somehow these heritage leathers do seem, as you said, to transcend color and just work.

View attachment 4343478

View attachment 4343484

View attachment 4343491

Your bags are both spectacular!

View attachment 4343478

View attachment 4343484

View attachment 4343491

Oh. My. Gosh.
Thats a beautiful bag - I'd never guess she's 70! Such a great neutral color too - I could see wearing her with almost anything, and I would absolutely get that RM guitar strap for an edgy look!
The black Porc is gorgeous too - but I adore black bags.

View attachment 4343478

View attachment 4343484

View attachment 4343491

Beautiful vintage Kelly!! I wouldn’t sell this bag, only because you’ve spent so many years taking such great care of it. You get to know every inch and every stitch of a bag when you do your own conditioning, and for me that makes letting go of a bag even harder. I have a Vache Natural Kelly from the ‘90’s that’s slightly more yellow than yours, and it goes in the weekly bag rotation regardless of what I’m wearing! Since I’m almost always in jeans, VN tends to look okay even if I’m wearing a top that’s cool toned jewel colors (which is almost all the time). I do wear it with black, too, so do take my fashion sense with a grain of salt, lol!

Beautiful vintage Kelly!! I wouldn’t sell this bag, only because you’ve spent so many years taking such great care of it. You get to know every inch and every stitch of a bag when you do your own conditioning, and for me that makes letting go of a bag even harder. I have a Vache Natural Kelly from the ‘90’s that’s slightly more yellow than yours, and it goes in the weekly bag rotation regardless of what I’m wearing! Since I’m almost always in jeans, VN tends to look okay even if I’m wearing a top that’s cool toned jewel colors (which is almost all the time). I do wear it with black, too, so do take my fashion sense with a grain of salt, lol!

Oh. My. Gosh.
Thats a beautiful bag - I'd never guess she's 70! Such a great neutral color too - I could see wearing her with almost anything, and I would absolutely get that RM guitar strap for an edgy look!
The black Porc is gorgeous too - but I adore black bags.

Your bags are both spectacular!

Thank you all for the kind words. I spend way too much time trying to get the collection that is perfect for me in every way. Should I buy this? Should I sell this? It is an illness. Both buying and selling cause too much anxiety. I am on board with trying to enjoy what I have more.