I was scammed on Poshmark

melmelby99

Jan 30, 2019
I clicked purchase on a Coach bag I saw on PM. Paid through Paypal. The shipping label was received by the seller, but they did not send it for several days. It was supposed to have originated in CA, but the first scan was in the USPS distribution center 10 miles from my home, slated for delivery Friday.

On Friday I got a text notice of delivery, but when I came home...no package!

Saturday I called my very small local PO and spoke to the postmaster about my problem. SHe was concerned that it was stolen. I had my neighbor check her video but she saw nothing and nobody.

Today, I asked how much this package weighed and was told it was 5 lbs, and it was insured. Well, guess what...she pulled the item image from the dist center down the road. The scammer changed the address to my next door neighbor and changed my name to Current Resident. It was a plain old flat envelope. Containing what, I don't know. Either they gave it to the postal carrier today or they had already thrown it out.

I've filed reports with Poshmark and Paypal. This sounds like mail and wire fraud to me. I bet nothing gets done about that, but I better darn well get my money back. I am new to PM and TPF so please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong place.

I clicked purchase on a Coach bag I saw on PM. Paid through Paypal. The shipping label was received by the seller, but they did not send it for several days. It was supposed to have originated in CA, but the first scan was in the USPS distribution center 10 miles from my home, slated for delivery Friday.

Saturday I called my very small local PO and spoke to the postmaster about my problem. SHe was concerned that it was stolen. I had my neighbor check her video but she saw nothing and nobody.

Today, I asked how much this package weighed and was told it was 5 lbs, and it was insured. Well, guess what...she pulled the item image from the dist center down the road. The scammer changed the address to my next door neighbor and changed my name to Current Resident. It was a plain old flat envelope. Containing what, I don't know. Either they gave it to the postal carrier today or they had already thrown it out.

I've filed reports with Poshmark and Paypal. This sounds like mail and wire fraud to me. I bet nothing gets done about that, but I better darn well get my money back. I am new to PM and TPF so please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong place.
I’m so sorry this happened to you. Thank you for sharing and making us aware of this scam. I have no idea how this can be solved, but I hope you get the resolution you deserve. I stopped by for moral suppor and to say welcome to TPF :smile:
Hope lots of people here will point you in the right direction. All the best.

Reactions: bearhead

I'm so sorry this happened to you! You may want to re-post this in the eBay forum or ask a moderator to move it there. There are some very knowledgeable TPFers on that forum who will have advice for you.

Paypal denied my claim, due to the tracking showing the package was delivered. I called them and the opened an appeal which placed the funds back on hold. My local post office is providing the image scan of the altered label with the wrong address and name, and if Poshmark shows the label as they generated it, it should be open and closed. The automated system I spoke with told me the seller's name...

I'm sorry this happened. It is a shame that one buys something and is tricked and robbed of their money. I would persist until you are victorious otherwise this low life scammer will win. After you get your money back, block that seller on Poshmark so you never have to deal with them again. Maybe even call Poshmark to complain. I hope it all works out for you.

Paypal denied my claim, due to the tracking showing the package was delivered. I called them and the opened an appeal which placed the funds back on hold. My local post office is providing the image scan of the altered label with the wrong address and name, and if Poshmark shows the label as they generated it, it should be open and closed. The automated system I spoke with told me the seller's name...

So what was the outcome? Curious because I may face a similar situation. I bought from a new seller without realizing it until the cancellation window closed. They shipped two days later, no tracking number provided to me, and now Posh claims it was delivered and I don’t have it. It was sent to work so it maybe it came after I left, but I know it was not in the US mail because it was handed to me directly (as it is daily);and there wasn’t a thing with my name on it or even a box.

So what was the outcome? Curious because I may face a similar situation. I bought from a new seller without realizing it until the cancellation window closed. They shipped two days later, no tracking number provided to me, and now Posh claims it was delivered and I don’t have it. It was sent to work so it maybe it came after I left, but I know it was not in the US mail because it was handed to me directly (as it is daily);and there wasn’t a thing with my name on it or even a box.

One time when I was relatively new to posh (but had still made a handful of purchases), I didn't receive a package marked as delivered. I looked EVERYWHERE around the house for it. I contacted poshmark. They said to wait a few days. I waited a couple days and it still didn't show up. Poshmark ended up refunding me.

On a separate note, I have occasionally had USPS packages marked as delivered but actually delivered the next day instead.

I hope this works out for you!

(Also, I've always gotten a tracking number through posh--from posh--when something has been sent; is this a new policy for them? Every time I sell, I'm sent a generated email with tracking when I drop it off)

But the seller doesn't get any money unless you release the funds to them. On the Poshmark site, after you receive the package and it is acceptable, you have to go to the site, click on My Purchases, and click on the item. Poshmark makes you give a rating, then Accept.

What I mean is, the money is gone from your account when you buy it. Poshmark holds the money while it is shipping. You have to Accept the package before the seller gets their money. I think this is a great safeguard and encourages the seller to ship it ASAP!

Mine was a scam. It’s scary. Scammer changed Posh label, mine was typed, to deliver to a different house number nearby to current resident. The bar code is scanned showing delivered but it wasn’t. With USPS saying delivered Posh would have denied my claim and released funds to scammer. Because I read this post I made the PO show me the scam and sent it to Posh

What I mean is, the money is gone from your account when you buy it. Poshmark holds the money while it is shipping. You have to Accept the package before the seller gets their money. I think this is a great safeguard and encourages the seller to ship it ASAP!

If Poshmark is not contacted and made aware of any issues, however, they will release the funds to the seller after 3 days. Its not a permanent hold.

So the accounts scamming people are probably hoping that the buyer doesn't realize the package has not been delivered (or spend days looking for it) and that they'll get their money before any claims or inquiries begin.

Reactions: BalenciagaKitte