Do people "judge" you for carrying a Chanel?

Great thread. People can be so judgmental, right?! I carried my Speedy to the inlaws on Christmas which I knew was going to result in lots of snarky comments and judgments. This from people who spend a lot of money on a lot of things. But it’s like I am not allowed to have nice things.

So of course my Chanel bags and brooches remain hidden around them, as well as around some snarky friends. When my inlaws visit this spring I will actually have to hide my Chanel’s in the attic. It stinks I cannot wear/use them around them, but I’ve learned it’s not worth dealing with because they can be pretty awful.

Hello my friends,

I rarely post but this thread is like having psychotherapy sessions. :lol:

When I was yonger (I'm 28 now) I used to get upset and be bothered every time someone was judgmental of me spending so much money on bags. Mostly because I'm never rude to other people. I don't care about what other people do or their lifestyle why do they care? Some health issues made me realize that life is too short and no one has the right to make me feel guilty, awkward or apologetic about the things I love and work hard for. There will always be bitter people out there. We all work hard and have been lucky enough to own these luxury items, so get those babies out of the closet ladies and enjoy them to the maximum. :love: If some people make you feel awkward give them the message and they will never ask again.

I remember one time that I felt so offended by a family member asking me so many awkward questions so I decided from that time that if someone is rude to me will get an appropriate answer. My most comon answers and they never ask again.

'Will it make any difference if I tell you the price?'
'Have I ever asked you how much money you spend on cigarettes every year?'
'Have I ever asked you why you spend so much money on eating out and delivery and never cook?'
'Have I ever asked why you bought a 10 bedoom house?'
'Have I ever been judgmental to you?'
'Have I ever been rude to you?'

I must say that I've been lucky enough though to have friends that even they don't own any luxuy things, they always have something nice to say about my handbags. Also my mother and I are partners in crime when it comes to handbags (well everything not only handbags :giggle:) and always support each other.

Sorry guys, I know that my English sucks :coolio:
Love this :biggrin::heart: Going to copy your questions, if I have the gumption to say them to any of my obnoxious inlaws lol:nuts:

Wow, I love this post. I own many luxury bags but only one Chanel. I've only carried it out a few times and even then have noticed that everybody stares. I like to hope that they're just appreciating the bag and not judging me but it's always on my mind.

It’s crazy that we must hidden our treasures around them. But i think it wise to make our family “judgements person”, not feel envy to us ;D
Because, you know, family circle is always there around us.
So let’s bring our treasures in other occasion with happy

Understand your dilemma and sounds like u r handling it the easiest way for you.
It is funny, the differences in people, I grew up with relatives who turned their nose up if one didn’t have expensive cars, furniture, etc.They thought you’d be unsuccessful or losers. So I used to fill my arms up with beautiful gold jewelry and carry the best purses, and they smiled at me affectionately. Thus, we all deal with goofy relatives one way or the other.

Great thread. People can be so judgmental, right?! I carried my Speedy to the inlaws on Christmas which I knew was going to result in lots of snarky comments and judgments. This from people who spend a lot of money on a lot of things. But it’s like I am not allowed to have nice things.

So of course my Chanel bags and brooches remain hidden around them, as well as around some snarky friends. When my inlaws visit this spring I will actually have to hide my Chanel’s in the attic. It stinks I cannot wear/use them around them, but I’ve learned it’s not worth dealing with because they can be pretty awful.
You should use the things u love around them and don’t bother with their comments.
Try to ignore their comments and with time they will quit.

Reactions: Shindess

I feel u, thats why sometimes i felt that I'm not going to carry it because of people sais, but luckily some of my family member ( my husband side ) dont know what sluxury items is..lol..Even my co workers judging but I really dont care what other people said..Judgemental is around the area no matter where u r, they r there...Just enjoy ur luxury items.. :smile:

I used to worry wearing them because of what people would think like I spend too much on bags etc lol but half the time most people aren’t into bags won’t know the value anyway so I have tried to wear it more. I still sometimes avoid wearing it around friends silly I know but I just didn’t want to attract attention lol

Reactions: Miss_Lili
They do. Bitter people will ALWAYS have something they judge you on, if it's not luxury items, it's something else. I never received judgment and hate about my purchases from someone who wasn't jealous! If they truly didn't care like they said, they would have never commented in the first place. It's just so damn rude to comment on! I don't understand which barn these people were raised in :no:

Every single time someone tried to put me down about what I do with MY money that I earned, I snap back at their poor financial decisions. Do you really need to buy that one thing Deborah? Aren't you a few grand in debt already??? Never had them come at me again. Don't let a**holes ruin your day and prevent you from wearing your bags out. Speak up if they attack you! And that goes for anything. If you never shut them down, they will learn it's okay to put you down to make themselves feel better. Whether it's family, friends, in-laws, SPEAK UP! Whether someone agrees with your purchases or not, they at the very least should give you some respect.

This topic just gets me so mad lol It's truly maddening how many people out there think they have the right to judge and berate you for what you do with your own damn money SMH :eek:
I just bought myself a brand new LV bag for my birthday and wanted to treat myself (I don’t always buy a bag only every year on my bday) I don’t make a lot right now as I’m working on my career but I don’t wanna stop myself from buying the things I wanted on my bday like a bag every year! (as I’m getting older!) I don’t have any hefty debt (exp credit card monthly which I always pay) and I bought the bag in full. I was thinking of posting it on my social media but I’m bothered of what others who have the money will think of me espc his family who has money (but they’re not that into expensive things like me) upon reading this, it gave me the courage to post it and say f*k it! I bought my bag with my hard earned money. They either like it or not it’s my hard earned money, not theirs. I feel happy buying myself something I know I worked hard for it. I know my husband will never ever buy me expensive bags so I spoil myself! :smile: thank you for the courageous advice!