Shining Monkey Fabric Protector - WHERE can I find this? And, help with vachetta..

xokarmaxo

O.G.
Dec 30, 2008
I have been looking *everywhere* for Shining Monkey Fabric Protector to protect the vachetta on my new Monogram Neverfull GM.

I accidentally touched it with wet hands (after washing dishes) the other night and the spot I touched on the vachetta remained darkened and it sickened me.

I need to get this bag protected so that I can use it. I’ve heard so much about Shining Monkey Fabric Protector and I want to use it - especially since it dries super quick and doesn’t seem to darken the vachetta like other protectants can, but I can’t find it ANYWHERE.

Does anyone know where I can find some?

And, any suggestions on getting rid of this darkened area on my vachetta? Is there anything that I can do?

Attachments

• 70ACA29F-7F76-44CE-A964-9AE4746C4786.jpeg
    70ACA29F-7F76-44CE-A964-9AE4746C4786.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 318
  • A19AEA3E-5777-4ED7-8949-1F92E8A2E950.jpeg
    A19AEA3E-5777-4ED7-8949-1F92E8A2E950.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 320
  • 30A047D3-397F-4788-BDC4-F8E36B8565BA.jpeg
    30A047D3-397F-4788-BDC4-F8E36B8565BA.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 319
I have been looking *everywhere* for Shining Monkey Fabric Protector to protect the vachetta on my new Monogram Neverfull GM.

I accidentally touched it with wet hands (after washing dishes) the other night and the spot I touched on the vachetta remained darkened and it sickened me.

I need to get this bag protected so that I can use it. I’ve heard so much about Shining Monkey Fabric Protector and I want to use it - especially since it dries super quick and doesn’t seem to darken the vachetta like other protectants can, but I can’t find it ANYWHERE.

Does anyone know where I can find some?

And, any suggestions on getting rid of this darkened area on my vachetta? Is there anything that I can do?

Shining monkey is so hard to find now. I haven’t been able to get it in ages. I stocked up when amazon had it. I just got the Cadillac stain / weather protectant although I don’t have virgin vachetta to try it on.

Reactions: xokarmaxo
In reality you cannot lighten vachetta that is darkened. You have either two choices of changing the colour, using baby wipes (must be free of alcohol, fragrance, preservatives, etc or it will ruin leather) or another method to darken the rest of the leather so it blends (may slightly lighten the spot itself as well. Or you can use the magic eraser method which I, as someone who does leatherworking as a hobby, would not recommend. Also since you were doing dishes at the time that is likely from oil as a small amount of water such as that would leave more of a dark ring around the edges. To prevent this issue I put shoe leather conditioner with beeswax on the vachetta to make it relatively waterproof. That will darken the leather but as you have found lots of things will. Any waterproofing agent (and anything in general) applied to leather will to some degree darken the material unless it is a film that coats the leather (which would not be very effective due to how porous leather is.

Shining monkey is so hard to find now. I haven’t been able to get it in ages. I stocked up when amazon had it. I just got the Cadillac stain / weather protectant although I don’t have virgin vachetta to try it on.
I’ve used the Cadillac spray on new vachetta and it didn’t change the color or show visually in any way. I didn’t like the feeling of it though so I never used it again. I prefer tanning, patina champ method, and the Cadillac conditioner and have no water marks since then. I don’t think ppl use shining monkey anymore on this forum, that is like so 10 years ago haha.

In reality you cannot lighten vachetta that is darkened. You have either two choices of changing the colour, using baby wipes (must be free of alcohol, fragrance, preservatives, etc or it will ruin leather) or another method to darken the rest of the leather so it blends (may slightly lighten the spot itself as well. Or you can use the magic eraser method which I, as someone who does leatherworking as a hobby, would not recommend. Also since you were doing dishes at the time that is likely from oil as a small amount of water such as that would leave more of a dark ring around the edges. To prevent this issue I put shoe leather conditioner with beeswax on the vachetta to make it relatively waterproof. That will darken the leather but as you have found lots of things will. Any waterproofing agent (and anything in general) applied to leather will to some degree darken the material unless it is a film that coats the leather (which would not be very effective due to how porous leather is.
I’m no leather expert but I’ve concluded from google and this forum to avoid leather products with waxes or silicones bc they can clog leather pores and whatnot and rot the stitching thread. And not all waterproofing sprays or leather conditioners darken vachetta in my experience.

Silicones are the absolute worst thing you can do to leather, the part about waxes simply is not true, however. Any self-respecting leather worker has huge supplies of leather conditioner containing natural waxes. If you're speaking of petroleum waxes, of course, that is true, I'm speaking only of natural waxes found in some of the more expensive creams. The stitching is also beeswax covered, that's how all leather sewing thread is made you can actually find pictures of LV having supplies of beeswax in their factories. And of course, not all sprays will darken leather, I said all that work, most sprays are like those spray on waxes for cars, cheap only coat what they're being sprayed on, and do not work.
@muddledmint

Silicones are the absolute worst thing you can do to leather, the part about waxes simply is not true, however. Any self-respecting leather worker has huge supplies of leather conditioner containing natural waxes. If you're speaking of petroleum waxes, of course, that is true, I'm speaking only of natural waxes found in some of the more expensive creams. The stitching is also beeswax covered, that's how all leather sewing thread is made you can actually find pictures of LV having supplies of beeswax in their factories. And of course, not all sprays will darken leather, I said all that work, most sprays are like those spray on waxes for cars, cheap only coat what they're being sprayed on, and do not work.
@muddledmint
Well again I’m no leather expert. Sorry if I offended you. The one I use says it’s wax free like that is important.

Reactions: coachfever
I use a rain and stain protectant by the brand Kiwi that can be found at Walmart, Academy, and Amazon. It initially seems to darken vachetta, but once dry it returns back to its original color. Once applied it works to repel water and other things that might stain your bag. The best part is you can use it as often as you like without the fear of damaging your items!

I’ve used the Cadillac spray on new vachetta and it didn’t change the color or show visually in any way. I didn’t like the feeling of it though so I never used it again. I prefer tanning, patina champ method, and the Cadillac conditioner and have no water marks since then. I don’t think ppl use shining monkey anymore on this forum, that is like so 10 years ago haha.

This is so interesting ! Thank you for sharing. Do you perchance remember how the feel of the vachetta changed? And yes, I’ve been on this forum a LONG time

I have done the patina champ method with both new vachetta and new to me vachetta (preloved). It works great. I had some blue dye on my petit noe that rubbed from my jeans. I was able to use a damp sock and rub it off. I like how just wiping down your bag with a damp cloth protects it and doesn't leave residue on the leather. I'm working on an even patina and so happy with this method.