Chanel jumbo chain - stitched?

Nov 22, 2009
Hello!
I finally pulled the trigger on a black caviar jumbo. This is my first classic Chanel and I bought it pre-owned from a reputed consignment store. However, I was wondering if it is normal for the chains of the classic flap bags to be folded twice and stitched instead of folded thrice?
I saw a number of other maxis at the shop and the leather in all their chains was folded twice and stitched. The chains of my other non-classic bags are just folded. No stitching.

I am quite confident about the shop I bought the bag from but wanted to reconfirm nonetheless.

If you have a classic flap jumbo, or maxi, could you check the chain and let me know?

Attaching image but I don’t think the stitching is visible clearly in the pic
TIA!

IMG_9667.jpg

Perhaps the chain leather has been replaced?

ETA: Perhaps the seller can tell you if has. I know the reseller I purchase from would know the answer.

Thanks. I did ask them but they said nothing has been changed. I saw a few other classic flaps (maxis) and they all had stitching on the leather folds in the chain... I saw a few other bags (not classic flaps) and the leather interwoven in the chains was not stitched.

Will go to the Chanel boutique and check the bags out I guess

Reactions: Ceeyahd
IMG_9668.jpg

Attached another pic. Have marked the visible stitches - not sure if visible properly in the picture

If anyone with a caviar jumbo could share pictures of the chain and confirm if there is stitching running through the leather in the chain, it will be really helpful...

If you haven't already, try posting in this thread for authentication: https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/authenticate-this-chanel.937412/page-1318#post-32898744

Just follow the guidelines and maybe include the pictures of your chain.

EDIT: I just checked my pre-loved jumbo that I just got and it also has the double stitching. Mine is a series 21 double flap if it matters. My bag looks as though it was unused by whoever sold it so I don't believe my chain was altered or changed at any point

Last edited:
Reactions: baggingthebag
If you haven't already, try posting in this thread for authentication: https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/authenticate-this-chanel.937412/page-1318#post-32898744

Just follow the guidelines and maybe include the pictures of your chain.

EDIT: I just checked my pre-loved jumbo that I just got and it also has the double stitching. Mine is a series 21 double flap if it matters. My bag looks as though it was unused by whoever sold it so I don't believe my chain was altered or changed at any point

Thank you!
Mine is also a double flap (23 series) and looks rarely used if at all! I trust the store I bought it from but was doubtful since I have only ever read that one of the ways of knowing if your bag is authentic is if the chain has trifold unstitched leather running through the metal!
I compared the bag I bought with 4 other Maxis at the shop (they didn’t have any other Jumbos) and all of them had double folded leather stitched together on one side.

Knowing that yours is the same makes me feel better! :smile:

Reactions: Ceeyahd
IMG_1001.JPG
My jumbo chain, double fold stitched , my mini has double fold glued . I think it is depending on the sizing . The leather strap is thicker for jumbo so I think stitches would help the folding last longer .

Reactions: baggingthebag