Authenticate This BOTTEGA VENETA

Hi dear experts! I am fairly certain this bag is authentic, but just wanted to check with you for a peace of mind :smile:. Thank you!
Style: Medium Veneta in espresso

Attachments

• espresso_veneta_zipper.jpg
    espresso_veneta_zipper.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 196
  • espresso_veneta_ID_front.jpg
    espresso_veneta_ID_front.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 197
  • espresso_veneta_tag.jpg
    espresso_veneta_tag.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 200
  • espresso_veneta_front.jpg
    espresso_veneta_front.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 196
  • espresso_veneta_IDtag.jpg
    espresso_veneta_IDtag.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 203

Hi, an update on my item. I went to the Melrose Place boutique to pick up a bag I had repaired and the SA Andrew ran the tag for me and can not locate the number in the system. He was shocked as he could have sworn the bag was real by looking at it. He ran it 3 times and couldn’t find it. He said that the store can’t officially authenticate the bag but the fact that they can’t find the number means they won’t take the bag if it ever needs repairs.

I contacted the seller and she said she bought it from a friend and even sent me a copy of a Hong Kong receipt. I’m just really sad as I really wanted this bag. I wanted to come back to post this as I didn’t know if anything what the experts here would have said about this bag given the photos I posted.

Hi, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but I'd really appreciate assistance from one of the experts in this forum as I may now have to go to a third party authenticator for an official certificate on the nero small olimpia I purchased a few posts back.
I am kicking myself for buying something before having it authenticated here and will never do that again. My questions are:
  1. Given the photos I posted, what would have been the opinion of the experts here, authentic or fake? I ask because even the BV sales agent was holding the bag and comparing it to the same bag in the boutique and had a hard time believing the bag I purchased was not authentic.
  2. The only support for my contesting it's authenticity to Mercari is the SA telling me he can't locate the number in the BV computer system. He took the bag to the back and came back and told me he couldn't locate the number. Is that proof enough the bag is not authentic? Does not locating the serial number ever happen even to authentic bags?
  3. Mercari is escalating this and I will have probably have to use an outside authenticator to backup my claim. I know about authenticate4u. Any other suggestions for BV? My fear is if they don't know BV well and the photos look decent enough to them, they may side with the seller and say the bag was authentic. All so stressful.
Thank you for any and all assistance you can give me. This has definitely been a lesson learned. I really appreciate this forum and the wonderful members.

Hi, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but I'd really appreciate assistance from one of the experts in this forum as I may now have to go to a third party authenticator for an official certificate on the nero small olimpia I purchased a few posts back.
I am kicking myself for buying something before having it authenticated here and will never do that again. My questions are:
  1. Given the photos I posted, what would have been the opinion of the experts here, authentic or fake? I ask because even the BV sales agent was holding the bag and comparing it to the same bag in the boutique and had a hard time believing the bag I purchased was not authentic.
  2. The only support for my contesting it's authenticity to Mercari is the SA telling me he can't locate the number in the BV computer system. He took the bag to the back and came back and told me he couldn't locate the number. Is that proof enough the bag is not authentic? Does not locating the serial number ever happen even to authentic bags?
  3. Mercari is escalating this and I will have probably have to use an outside authenticator to backup my claim. I know about authenticate4u. Any other suggestions for BV? My fear is if they don't know BV well and the photos look decent enough to them, they may side with the seller and say the bag was authentic. All so stressful.
Thank you for any and all assistance you can give me. This has definitely been a lesson learned. I really appreciate this forum and the wonderful members.

I would say that if the number is not in the system it is not authentic

I am not sure about this
So don’t quote me
Possibly the bag came from the Asian or European market and the number is not in the USA system
I am not sure if the US can access the other BV markets
I know that when I worked for BV if we needed something from one of the other markets we would have to go through our buyer who in turn would have to contact the buyer from that market

Reactions: V0N1B2
Hi! Haven't been in this thread and was supposed to be on a bag ban but saw this beauty. Jumped on the buy it now price. Can you please authenticate?

Item: bottega veneta python knot clutch

Url:https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/372592256817

Item #: 372592256817

Seller: mrisstillman

Comments: I'll be taking additional pics of the clasp. I know how to authenticate cabats but not knots.

Hello, if any of the experts can help authenticate this Nero small Olimpia, I’d be deeply grateful. It was an impulse buy on Mercari so I only have 3 days before being able to return if not authentic so please help if possible. I own a number of Bottega bags so I thought I could spot a fake and this looked good on the Mercari site but something feels a little off once I received this bag in person. The lining doesn’t feel like the suede lining of all my other BV bags, this ones feel softer, more fabric like. My other bags are Venetas, Montaigne and Bella’s and this is my first Olympia. The leather also feels different for some reason.

Please let me know if more pics are needed. Thank you!View attachment 4328799

Hi, an update on my item. I went to the Melrose Place boutique to pick up a bag I had repaired and the SA Andrew ran the tag for me and can not locate the number in the system. He was shocked as he could have sworn the bag was real by looking at it. He ran it 3 times and couldn’t find it. He said that the store can’t officially authenticate the bag but the fact that they can’t find the number means they won’t take the bag if it ever needs repairs.

I contacted the seller and she said she bought it from a friend and even sent me a copy of a Hong Kong receipt. I’m just really sad as I really wanted this bag. I wanted to come back to post this as I didn’t know if anything what the experts here would have said about this bag given the photos I posted.

Here are my thoughts on this Olimpia:
1: The leather is a little bit "textured" looking to me (if that makes sense). It doesn't have the smooth Nappa Leather look to it as the majority of Olimpias do. However, that in and of itself is not cause for alarm, IMO.
2. Surprised that a counterfeit would be using that particular zipper. Haven't come across that yet.
3. The heatstamp looks fine to me.
4. The authenticity tag from what I can see, looks fine to me as well. The side with the numbers on it are a bit blurry, it would be nice to see a clearer photo of it.
5. It's surprising that a counterfeit would be already faking the brass hardware since it is only about 12-18mo old now. The Olimpia up until the change to brass hardware, was always the Brunito hardware, since it's introduction. I would assume that the replica factories would still be making the original style (as with the Veneta - have not yet seen a fake one with the new style shoulder strap).
6. The magnetic closure is consistent with an authentic Olimpia bag.
7. I am interested to see the receipt and I would like to know when this bag was purchased.
8. As @septembersiren wrote above, it is plausible that the bag may not be in the US system.
9. For a second opinion, you could try to contact BV online through their website and ask them to run the serial number for you. Make something up, tell them you can't remember what the bag is called, or want to confirm the colour etc. See what they say. I think there have been some ladies here who have used the help feature on the website to run serial numbers.
10. Contact authenticate4u and ask them for their opinion. The opinions of poeple on TPF have absolutely no weight with Mercari, eBay, etc.

As an aside, my biggest fear right now is that with the change of Creative Director, the autheticity details in new BVs are going to change. I'm fearful that they will adopt the style of interior details consistent with other Kering brands. I will have to wait two weeks until vacation where I'll be able to see the new bags in person.

Hope that helps :flowers:

I would say that if the number is not in the system it is not authentic

I am not sure about this
So don’t quote me
Possibly the bag came from the Asian or European market and the number is not in the USA system
I am not sure if the US can access the other BV markets
I know that when I worked for BV if we needed something from one of the other markets we would have to go through our buyer who in turn would have to contact the buyer from that market

Thank you! Makes sense!

Hi! Haven't been in this thread and was supposed to be on a bag ban but saw this beauty. Jumped on the buy it now price. Can you please authenticate?
Item: bottega veneta python knot clutch
Url:https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/372592256817
Item #: 372592256817
Seller: mrisstillman
Comments: I'll be taking additional pics of the clasp. I know how to authenticate cabats but not knots.
I prefer not to authenticate Knots, but you'll have to post more detailed photos and hopefully someone more knowledgeable about this Fall 2012 Violet Passamaneria Knot will be able to help you. :flowers:

Here are my thoughts on this Olimpia:
1: The leather is a little bit "textured" looking to me (if that makes sense). It doesn't have the smooth Nappa Leather look to it as the majority of Olimpias do. However, that in and of itself is not cause for alarm, IMO.
2. Surprised that a counterfeit would be using that particular zipper. Haven't come across that yet.
3. The heatstamp looks fine to me.
4. The authenticity tag from what I can see, looks fine to me as well. The side with the numbers on it are a bit blurry, it would be nice to see a clearer photo of it.
5. It's surprising that a counterfeit would be already faking the brass hardware since it is only about 12-18mo old now. The Olimpia up until the change to brass hardware, was always the Brunito hardware, since it's introduction. I would assume that the replica factories would still be making the original style (as with the Veneta - have not yet seen a fake one with the new style shoulder strap).
6. The magnetic closure is consistent with an authentic Olimpia bag.
7. I am interested to see the receipt and I would like to know when this bag was purchased.
8. As @septembersiren wrote above, it is plausible that the bag may not be in the US system.
9. For a second opinion, you could try to contact BV online through their website and ask them to run the serial number for you. Make something up, tell them you can't remember what the bag is called, or want to confirm the colour etc. See what they say. I think there have been some ladies here who have used the help feature on the website to run serial numbers.
10. Contact authenticate4u and ask them for their opinion. The opinions of poeple on TPF have absolutely no weight with Mercari, eBay, etc.

As an aside, my biggest fear right now is that with the change of Creative Director, the autheticity details in new BVs are going to change. I'm fearful that they will adopt the style of interior details consistent with other Kering brands. I will have to wait two weeks until vacation where I'll be able to see the new bags in person.

Hope that helps :flowers:

Thank you!!

Here are the two photos, a hopefully clearer shot of the tag and the receipt. The seller said she bought the bag from a “friend” and this is the receipt.
IMG_2116.JPGIMG_2120.JPG

It totally helped to call the BV website. So it turns out the serial number is in the system but the number in the system shows a limestone (taupe color) Olimpia, not black. It’s inconsistent with the bag. Could this be a system error? Does this ever happen? I almost feel worse for the seller at this point.

Do I return this bag as not authentic even if I’m not sure? I’m so torn.

Last edited:
I was told that this is a vintage bag from the 1980s. It appears to be made of linen or flax? Having snakeskin on the straps and the soft sheepskin leather on the bottom of the bag. It does not have a tag on the inner lining. Thoughts please?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Wqnr2VGhYMSJkpgx7
I don't authenticate vintage items, but hopefully someone else with more expertise in the older items will pop by to offer their opinion. :flowers:
In future, there is a format to follow, outlined on page one of this thread, like this:

Non auction item requests - We will also accept items that are from online sites, classified ads like Craigslist, and private sales.
For these items, please use the following format:
Item Name:
Seller name or ID:
Working Link to pictures:
Comments:

Alternatively, please attach pictures to your post, or link to approved photo hosting sites

Reactions: jburgh