Yes or No to the Simon Miller Bonsai bags?

Thenewestgirl

Dec 25, 2017
I am curious about what the TPF-members think about the Bonsai bags from Simon Miller!
They come in three sizes, 15, 20 and 30, and are made of either traditional leather or nubuck.

What do you think? Like, dislike? Would they be cute for summer, or too trendy?
Already tired of all the ring handles that has been around for the last couple years?

Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 03.48.10.png Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 03.43.19.png Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 03.42.31.png Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 03.42.57.png Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 03.41.52.png Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 03.54.21.png Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 03.48.29.png Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 03.53.56.png Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 04.04.37.png Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 04.06.28.png

Last edited:
I LOVE them!! I have a small black nubuck one with silver handles. It is so perfect for summer when youre out and about on a hot day. I've had mine for a year and a half and I use it a lot more than I thought I would. It fits everything I need.

Reactions: Thenewestgirl
I LOVE them!! I have a small black nubuck one with silver handles. It is so perfect for summer when youre out and about on a hot day. I've had mine for a year and a half and I use it a lot more than I thought I would. It fits everything I need.

When you say small, do you mean 20 or 15? I assume it's the 20 as you say it fits everything! :biggrin: How does the nubuck hold up? Does it hold it's shape at all? I'd assume it's just like sloppy bag without structure, is that right?

I just ordered the largest, size 30, neutral (off white/light beige?) version in nubuck! It was between that one or the size 20 in the white leather, but I thought the bag had this soft, extra lovely look in nubuck, so I wen't with the large size! I hope it will be user-friendly despite it's big, and possibly a tad cumbersome to handle, size/model/structure/material(nubuck in a light color)!

I like them, but because they are only handheld, I don’t think they are very practical....

Yes, that's true! I just ordered one, but I don't expect to get very much use out of it, due to the impracticality that comes with both it being only hand held, and the fact that I chose a light nubuck material, and the bag being very soft and unstrucktured mening I won't be able to put it down anywhere without it getting dirty! Haha.

We'll see how it looks when it arrives! I would not have bought it for full price, due to what I said above, but I got a good deal, so it feels OK to use it as a pretty summer bag for occasions when I can be a bit more careful with it! I guess I won't be taking it to picknicks in the grass.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the tiniest one actually comes with a shoulder strap!

Last edited:
I think they are cute, especially the flowerpot sized ones. Impractical for me but whimsical if you don’t carry much.

Yes, arn't they adorable! I actually like all three sizes. I decided to go for the largest myself, it was between that one or the middle sized. The smallest is über-cute but it's so tiny I would probably forget that I was carrying it and just drop it! (Yes, I actually do things like that...)

Yes, that's true! I just ordered one, but I don't expect to get very much use out of it, due to the impracticality that comes with both it being only hand held, and the fact that I chose a light nubuck material, and the bag being very soft and unstrucktured mening I won't be able to put it down anywhere without it getting dirty! Haha.

We'll see how it looks when it arrives! I would not have bought it for full price, due to what I said above, but I got a good deal, so it feels OK to use it as a pretty summer bag for occasions when I can be a bit more careful with it! I guess I won't be taking it to picknicks in the grass.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the tiniest one actually comes with a shoulder strap!
Oh, please post a picture when you receive it!

When you say small, do you mean 20 or 15? I assume it's the 20 as you say it fits everything! :biggrin: How does the nubuck hold up? Does it hold it's shape at all? I'd assume it's just like sloppy bag without structure, is that right?

I just ordered the largest, size 30, neutral (off white/light beige?) version in nubuck! It was between that one or the size 20 in the white leather, but I thought the bag had this soft, extra lovely look in nubuck, so I wen't with the large size! I hope it will be user-friendly despite it's big, and possibly a tad cumbersome to handle, size/model/structure/material(nubuck in a light color)!

Its the tiniest size they have. I guess thats the 15? And yes it fits everything I need for that day, I just switch my wallet out for a smaller cardholder. I fit my keys, iphone, cardholer, lippie, and a pack of tissues.

The 30 is a great size and I think it is a very cute tote that will fit a lot. It is perfect for summer. Just don't over fill it since that will add weight to the bag and since the handles are metal or plastic, it might hurt to carry for a long time. My friend got the 30 just like you and she tied on an hermes scarf to turn it into a shoulder bag. Looks sooo gorgeous that way. She uses hers to the beach all the time.

I think you'll really enjoy this bag! It is a lot of fun and gets tons of compliments! The quality is pretty amazing and yes the nubuck is slouchy but mine has held its shape really well. The bigger one is floppier but I think that adds to the look of the bag as this effortless, artisanal, smooshy looking tote that you found in a market. Please post pictures! I'd love to see yours!

I like them, but because they are only handheld, I don’t think they are very practical....
Its the tiniest size they have. I guess thats the 15? And yes it fits everything I need for that day, I just switch my wallet out for a smaller cardholder. I fit my keys, iphone, cardholer, lippie, and a pack of tissues.

The 30 is a great size and I think it is a very cute tote that will fit a lot. It is perfect for summer. Just don't over fill it since that will add weight to the bag and since the handles are metal or plastic, it might hurt to carry for a long time. My friend got the 30 just like you and she tied on an hermes scarf to turn it into a shoulder bag. Looks sooo gorgeous that way. She uses hers to the beach all the time.

I think you'll really enjoy this bag! It is a lot of fun and gets tons of compliments! The quality is pretty amazing and yes the nubuck is slouchy but mine has held its shape really well. The bigger one is floppier but I think that adds to the look of the bag as this effortless, artisanal, smooshy looking tote that you found in a market. Please post pictures! I'd love to see yours!

Ah, the tiny size is adorable! And that sounds like a lot for such a small bag, the looks of it are deceiving! :smile:

Thank you for the advice abut not stuffing it, I will think about that! You don't mind if I ask you a few questions about the bags, do you? :smile: You said that yours also is made of nubuck leather, is your friends, who has the size 30, made of that too, or is hers made of regular leather? I wonder whether the soft material, especially in the largest size, could cause items to fall out of the bag when it's put down, as it looks so floppy (Which I absolutely love about the nubuck version, as you said, it has that effortless, artisanal look about it that I just adore!)?

If your handles are the metallic version I'd assume they can get quite heated up during summer? I've had some bags with metallic chains that have been absolutely unbearable to wear on bare skin. The Bonsai I ordered has the acrylic handles, I guess your friends has that too, as I've never seen a large with metallic handles? If so, do you happen to know if she's had problem with over heating? I'd assume the plastic "handles" the heat better though. Unless they would start to melt, ofc. Haha. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

The scarf idea sounds lovely, did she attach it to the rings, or to the bag in the loops where the rings are attached?
What color is hers? Also a light color? I wonder as you said she takes it to the beach, I would love to use mine as that kind of casual carry on, but I am a bit scared that the light nubuck leather might get ruined from sand, water, salt, lotion and sweat, etc.

Of course I'll post pictures as soon as it arrives, it should be here within a few days! I'm so exited about receiving it! I'd love to see pictures of yours too! And your friends, if she would not mind (possibly with the scarf attached?)!

Ah, the tiny size is adorable! And that sounds like a lot for such a small bag, the looks of it are deceiving! :smile:

Thank you for the advice abut not stuffing it, I will think about that! You don't mind if I ask you a few questions about the bags, do you? :smile: You said that yours also is made of nubuck leather, is your friends, who has the size 30, made of that too, or is hers made of regular leather? I wonder whether the soft material, especially in the largest size, could cause items to fall out of the bag when it's put down, as it looks so floppy (Which I absolutely love about the nubuck version, as you said, it has that effortless, artisanal look about it that I just adore!)?

If your handles are the metallic version I'd assume they can get quite heated up during summer? I've had some bags with metallic chains that have been absolutely unbearable to wear on bare skin. The Bonsai I ordered has the acrylic handles, I guess your friends has that too, as I've never seen a large with metallic handles? If so, do you happen to know if she's had problem with over heating? I'd assume the plastic "handles" the heat better though. Unless they would start to melt, ofc. Haha. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

The scarf idea sounds lovely, did she attach it to the rings, or to the bag in the loops where the rings are attached?
What color is hers? Also a light color? I wonder as you said she takes it to the beach, I would love to use mine as that kind of casual carry on, but I am a bit scared that the light nubuck leather might get ruined from sand, water, salt, lotion and sweat, etc.

Of course I'll post pictures as soon as it arrives, it should be here within a few days! I'm so exited about receiving it! I'd love to see pictures of yours too! And your friends, if she would not mind (possibly with the scarf attached?)!

Hers is the brown nubuck with brown acetate. I don't have any pictures of hers, but I attached below of the exact one she has. We actually bought ours at the same time haha. The handles don't heat up at all! If anything, they actually feel and stay rather cool on the hot day. Leave it out in the sun then yeah it might heat up, but I never leave my bags in the sun, a big no-no for leather. Her bag is very floopy and gets floppier with use but nothing falls out, its a very deep bag. The acetate also hasn't melted, heated up, warped, or anything. The bags are really great quality and major workhorses.

But since yours is white I would definitely avoid the beach. It would get stained easily. Also, she looped the scarf through the rings and tied it. It looks so good as se got a scarf that matches and adds a pop of color. She moved out of state for a few months now, but the next time I see her, I'll grab a pic!

I don't mind any questions at all!! I'm always happy to help, feel free to ask more! I'll post some pics of mine asap.
brown-simon-miller-bonsai-30-nubuck-bucket-bag-womens-tote-bags-brown_1-1.jpg