Space for Guys & their Hermès

Yes, it's a shame about the Steve Caporal. It has basic simplicity.
The CityNews Messenger looks good, but on closer inspection I'm not keen on the trapezoidal shape.
The very stylish Kelly style man-bag is a very promising idea, especially if developed in line with binkone's suggestion.
However the Kelly style fastening is a bit fiddly for a messenger bag - you can't just lift the flap and put your hand in because it does not lend itself well to being left unfastened.
That's what I find with my K SaD.

Indeed! I love that the Steve evokes that classic age of travel and exploration, a little like a classic Leica rangefinder camera! Which is something I feel the paired back and pure look of some of the City bags can lack.
When they have an interesting form, like the CityBack or CityHall, they work for me, but the more traditionally shaped messengers are perhaps not destined for me!

Reactions: navicular
_VIE0041.jpg

Very nice, featured in the mens' FW19 show. If only they did a messenger in this style - just slightly longer, wider and deeper, ala barda 30.

*From Vogue: https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2019-menswear/hermes/slideshow/details#4
Oh, I love this one, I didn't notice during the show. I agree it should be a bit bigger, but it's a great idea. I think I would like it even more in something like blue clemence though.

Totally agree! Smaller men’s messengers seem to be somewhat lacking at the moment - the Stave Caporal is only in very limited production now and hasn’t been available for PO for a few years, only push. I haven’t seen a Barda in any European stores for a number of years either.

It doesn’t help this size bag is something I’m in desperate need of at the moment, either!

I’ve been told the barda is ‘discontinued’... doubt you will see new ones produced for the next few years.

Reactions: FreddieMac
Totally agree! Smaller men’s messengers seem to be somewhat lacking at the moment - the Stave Caporal is only in very limited production now and hasn’t been available for PO for a few years, only push. I haven’t seen a Barda in any European stores for a number of years either.

It doesn’t help this size bag is something I’m in desperate need of at the moment, either!

@FreddieMac: They used to have « Barda » galore at NBS not so long ago (I’d say max a year). I even used to think that their display cabinet upstairs was extremely boring because that was all they ever had on the shelves. Did you ask? I wouldn’t be surprised if they still had one in stock.

@FreddieMac: They used to have « Barda » galore at NBS not so long ago (I’d say max a year). I even used to think that their display cabinet upstairs was extremely boring because that was all they ever had on the shelves. Did you ask? I wouldn’t be surprised if they still had one in stock.

Thanks for the heads up, but I think my heart is really set on one day tracking down a Steve Caporal.

I think the Barda is a smidge too casual looking and the lack of any form of 'closure' unnerves me a little for city touring. I did almost buy one in gold a few years back in from the Tours store, but it just didn't quite have my heart.

Thanks for the heads up, but I think my heart is really set on one day tracking down a Steve Caporal.

I think the Barda is a smidge too casual looking and the lack of any form of 'closure' unnerves me a little for city touring. I did almost buy one in gold a few years back in from the Tours store, but it just didn't quite have my heart.

There is a Steve caporal for sale on the Canadian we site

There are two in the US site. Also a Barda. Clearly the best ones are on the other side of the pond :smile:

There are two in the US site. Also a Barda. Clearly the best ones are on the other side of the pond :smile:

Thanks, but yes, sadly these little bad boys are on the wrong side of the ocean! Plus, although I would probably chose black, the lack of any real choice of colours bugs me - imagine a gorgeous malachite or similar?

I wonder if the Caporal can be produced by SO? I may have to enquire with my SA, although there is allegedly a new smaller crossbody coming this season, I have a feeling it's something in the Flash series.

I thought the Steve Caporals with an interesting contrasting lining were the best.
It is important to know what you intend to carry in them.
Something like the Barda with its wide rounded corners wouldn't be very good for softback books on the one hand or wider tablets with very square corners.
The former could get dog-eared by the bag and the latter might poke the corners of the bag.
I took some large scores with me into NBS a while ago and discounted a Steve for the first reason.

Last edited:
I thought the Steve Caporal with an interesting contrasting lining were the best.
It is important to know what you intend to carry in them.
Something like the Barda with its wide rounded corners wouldn't be very good for softback books on the one hand or wider tablets with very square corners.
The former could get dog-eared by the bag and the latter might poke the corners of the bag.
I took some large scores with me into NBS a while ago and discounted a Steve for the first reason.

Good advice - I've actually got an ageing bag of the same general dims as the Caporal, but in a N/S orientation, so I'm good on the size. This is my ideal small city travel bag, enough space for a wallet, passport, maybe an iPad, eReader or headphones for the plane, but just the basics generally.

I'm sure the right bag will find me when it's needed!