How accurate are Chanel tags?

Nabi

Jan 14, 2007
I just purchased a black caviar classic flap clutch, which was sent to me from a NM. There was no NM tag, and the Chanel tag is attached to the white dust bag. The Chanel tag, however, shows a different clutch than mine. The image on the tag is a clutch in the chevron quilted leather, but the one I purchased has the diamond quilting. The leather swatch also shows a smooth leather. Has anyone purchased a Chanel bag where the image (or any other info) on the tag did not reflect the bag itself? I'm attaching a photo of the clutch that I received and the Chanel tag that came with it.
IMG_1707.jpeg
IMG_1698.jpeg

I just purchased a black caviar classic flap clutch, which was sent to me from a NM. There was no NM tag, and the Chanel tag is attached to the white dust bag. The Chanel tag, however, shows a different clutch than mine. The image on the tag is a clutch in the chevron quilted leather, but the one I purchased has the diamond quilting. The leather swatch also shows a smooth leather. Has anyone purchased a Chanel bag where the image (or any other info) on the tag did not reflect the bag itself? I'm attaching a photo of the clutch that I received and the Chanel tag that came with it.
View attachment 4297258
View attachment 4297259

Does the serial number on the tag match the identity card for bag and match the hologram number in the bag? All three should match up!!! The number starting 267 is the number that you want to match!

Does the serial number on the tag match the identity card for bag and match the hologram number in the bag? All three should match up!!! The number starting 267 is the number that you want to match!

Thanks for the reply, Frillylily! The number matches the card in the inside pocket of the clutch and (though it’s REALLY difficult to see at the very bottom inside corner of the clutch) the hologram number in the bag matches the number as well. Have you ever seen a tag being off with image and leather? My feeling is that putting a tag on a handbag that doesn’t match doesn’t really align with level of perfection associated with the Chanel brand, so I was wondering if the wrong tag was sent. An authenticity card from a different clutch could accidentally have found its way into this one, but the sticker number matching means Chanel just tagged it incorrectly? I’m really surprised and wondering how common that is?

Hello, i’ve seen a lot of my tags with varying pictures. It is misleading and should be more precise. But I just make sure like @Frillylily mentioned, to have the barcode number match my card n sticker.

Look this is a tag for my Stingray Boy... it’s pictured as a chevron boy

Attachments

• 2A082FF6-7B03-4C00-9D2D-E98866484C11.jpeg
    2A082FF6-7B03-4C00-9D2D-E98866484C11.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 406
Reactions: Frillylily
Thanks for the reply, Frillylily! The number matches the card in the inside pocket of the clutch and (though it’s REALLY difficult to see at the very bottom inside corner of the clutch) the hologram number in the bag matches the number as well. Have you ever seen a tag being off with image and leather? My feeling is that putting a tag on a handbag that doesn’t match doesn’t really align with level of perfection associated with the Chanel brand, so I was wondering if the wrong tag was sent. An authenticity card from a different clutch could accidentally have found its way into this one, but the sticker number matching means Chanel just tagged it incorrectly? I’m really surprised and wondering how common that is?

You are correct to be put off by this! Sloppy for an expensive brand like Chanel. They are now taking control of all their boutiques in department stores and this is not acceptable. I have not yet encountered this with my Chanel purchases but if all the numbers match, and they do in this case, enjoy your purchase in good health!

You are correct to be put off by this! Sloppy for an expensive brand like Chanel. They are now taking control of all their boutiques in department stores and this is not acceptable. I have not yet encountered this with my Chanel purchases but if all the numbers match, and they do in this case, enjoy your purchase in good health!