First Chanel bag is disappointing... Caviar looks dull! Will it become more sheen with wear?

BelieveinATL

Mar 14, 2017
Hi everyone!

My boyfriend finally gifted me my first Chanel bag for Christmas and I was so excited about unboxing it that I literally cried with joy. However, as soon as it was unwrapped it I knew it was not love at first sight. It is exactly what I asked for (m/l size classic double flap in black caviar leather and gold hardware) but looks very different from the one I saw on their official website.
The leather looks so matte and dull that is almost plastic-looking... To me, it barely looks black in color and the quilting looks rather flat. I've been wanting this bag for several years but haven't stopped thinking about it... I feel so bad because my boyfriend had to work the SA pretty hard to locate one for me which she had to have shipped from elsewhere and the whole process took a couple weeks... He purchased this bag sight unseen over the phone to ensure she'd find one for me..... Now I'm wishing he had inspected it first because of how expensive it was (over $6,000 after tax)... Will it ever look better with time?
What should I do? Should I try to exchange it for a different one? I don't know what their policy is but I'm afraid to even remove the protective stickers on it as I'm not sure it's the bag for me... Perhaps we should try to order it in the lambskin leather instead although I don't even see that as an option on Chanel's current website. I'm a brand new customer and don't know how to handle this but I've heard rumors that there are normally waiting lists to these types of bags including this one I now have and apparently they won't sell to you in the future if they don't approve of you as a customer... It's this true? Can someone enlighten me on this subject? I'm only 24 and have been too intimated to even step foot inside a boutique after hearing all the horror stories of mistreatment from staff on Youtube.

Below I have included the exact link my boyfriend used when placing the phone order.. I also uploaded a picture of myself holding my new bag.

Please let me know your thoughts and opinions along with any advice you may have to offer...

Thanks so much for all your time in advance!

https://www.chanel.com/us/fashion/p...sic-handbag-grained-calfskin-gold-tone-metal/

View attachment 4291648

Last edited:
I agree that caviar leather doesn’t look as pretty as it used to be. It called caviar because of analogy with real caviar- shiny, fatty and so yammy. The leather caviar for the last couple years looks not just matte. It looks dull and it looks dead for me. I don’t understand how ppl continue to buy it paying soo much.
I’m really sorry for your experience. I don’t think it will change over time.

Reactions: tenyongie
I agree that caviar leather doesn’t look as pretty as it used to be. It called caviar because of analogy with real caviar- shiny, fatty and so yammy. The leather caviar for the last couple years looks not just matte. It looks dull and it looks dead for me. I don’t understand how ppl continue to buy it paying soo much.
I’m really sorry for your experience. I don’t think it will change over time.

Thanks for your response. It looks so different from the one on their website! Should I try to exchange it for lambskin? Do you know if lambskin with gold hardware is available all year round?

I haven't seen this years caviar leather, but it varies by year. I have a series. Sometimes the caviar is more matte, other times it's more shiny.

You could always try on other M/L flap bags at the store to see how the caviar compares. I believe they don't do refunds but will give you store credit. Whether or not there's waitlists just depends on the individual store. Where I live there's a Chanel store and then there's a Chanel boutique in a Neiman Marcus and it's pretty easy to walk in and get whatever it is you want.

It does depend on the year for the caviar. I have a 17C caviar mini and mine is shiny. I’ll attach a picture of it. I also have a M/L black caviar flap with silver hardware that is 16 series and it’s not as shiny as my 17C mini.
bdb07826b65f0c7453501f94c8bb5ad7.jpg

Lambskin is beautiful and shiny but usually not as durable as caviar. I ended up selling all my lambskin bags because they were starting to get scratches/corner wear and it made me more nervous to use them thinking the wear on the leather will just get worse. Then with time, the quilts could lose puffiness. However though, I had an 09A dark metallic grey lambskin M/L flap that I sold a year ago and the quilts were still puffy. So it really depends.

I did have the opportunity to look at this season’s lambskin on a mini in the boutique and I do have to say the lambskin seems more durable than in previous seasons.

I was so excited to open my first ever Chanel bag, but to me it looks almost grayish in color due to the dullness and matte nature of the caviar leather. It is brand spanking new yet seems to have spots of fading on it. Also, the quilting also looks a bit flat... my boyfriend purchased it over the phone from a local SA sight unseen that was shipped from elsewhere just to ensure that I’d have one in time for Christmas and I’m thoroughly disappointed.

Please let me know your thoughts and opinions. Will it ever look better? What should I do? [emoji17]

30e592059a29aa311feb7534abd5dc6e.jpg

Reactions: Sferics
Hi everyone!

My boyfriend finally gifted me my first Chanel bag for Christmas and I was so excited about unboxing it that I literally cried with joy. However, as soon as it was unwrapped it I knew it was not love at first sight. It is exactly what I asked for (m/l size classic double flap in black caviar leather and gold hardware) but looks very different from the one I saw on their official website.
The leather looks so matte and dull that is almost plastic-looking... To me, it barely looks black in color and the quilting looks rather flat. I've been wanting this bag for several years but haven't stopped thinking about it... I feel so bad because my boyfriend had to work the SA pretty hard to locate one for me which she had to have shipped from elsewhere and the whole process took a couple weeks... He purchased this bag sight unseen over the phone to ensure she'd find one for me..... Now I'm wishing he had inspected it first because of how expensive it was (over $6,000 after tax)... Will it ever look better with time?
What should I do? Should I try to exchange it for a different one? I don't know what their policy is but I'm afraid to even remove the protective stickers on it as I'm not sure it's the bag for me... Perhaps we should try to order it in the lambskin leather instead although I don't even see that as an option on Chanel's current website. I'm a brand new customer and don't know how to handle this but I've heard rumors that there are normally waiting lists to these types of bags including this one I now have and apparently they won't sell to you in the future if they don't approve of you as a customer... It's this true? Can someone enlighten me on this subject? I'm only 24 and have been too intimated to even step foot inside a boutique after hearing all the horror stories of mistreatment from staff on Youtube.

Below I have included the exact link my boyfriend used when placing the phone order.. I also uploaded a picture of myself holding my new bag.

Please let me know your thoughts and opinions along with any advice you may have to offer...

Thanks so much for all your time in advance!

https://www.chanel.com/us/fashion/p...sic-handbag-grained-calfskin-gold-tone-metal/

View attachment 4291648
For some reason, your picture doesnt show correctly, can u upload it again?

If i were u i would just speak with ur boyfriend and ask if he minds going with u or giving u the receipt so u can compare itti bags they have in store! Just go, bring the bag, and say that you would like to see other medium/large ones if they have any as u were hoping for a puffier shinier one. NO problem at all!! If its new and unworn and u are within the return window no probs.

I know caviar does get shinier with wear, definately- my own mini which has shiny caviar from the start got even shinier with use. Fresh lambskin bags from the store arent as shiny as one would believe, either! They develop that sheen over time, its called patina.

If u also want a puffier bag tho with nicer quilts, just go and have a look at what they can do for u in store! No need to be frightened or insecure. If u are polite and nice and determined in what u want, itll be fineee :smile:

Lambskin is beautiful and shiny but usually not as durable as caviar. I ended up selling all my lambskin bags because they were starting to get scratches/corner wear and it made me more nervous to use them thinking the wear on the leather will just get worse. Then with time, the quilts could lose puffiness. However though, I had an 09A dark metallic grey lambskin M/L flap that I sold a year ago and the quilts were still puffy. So it really depends.

I did have the opportunity to look at this season’s lambskin on a mini in the boutique and I do have to say the lambskin seems more durable than in previous seasons.

I just bought a 2004 lambskin medium flap, had it authenticated, and its the puffiest thing ive ever seen - and its 14yrs old.. really depends on the batch/season..

For some reason, your picture doesnt show correctly, can u upload it again?

If i were u i would just speak with ur boyfriend and ask if he minds going with u or giving u the receipt so u can compare itti bags they have in store! Just go, bring the bag, and say that you would like to see other medium/large ones if they have any as u were hoping for a puffier shinier one. NO problem at all!! If its new and unworn and u are within the return window no probs.

I know caviar does get shinier with wear, definately- my own mini which has shiny caviar from the start got even shinier with use. Fresh lambskin bags from the store arent as shiny as one would believe, either! They develop that sheen over time, its called patina.

If u also want a puffier bag tho with nicer quilts, just go and have a look at what they can do for u in store! No need to be frightened or insecure. If u are polite and nice and determined in what u want, itll be fineee :smile:

fa671dc2cdd315461f30e095e7721e2c.jpg

Thank you so much for your insight... I really appreciate it!!

Is it true they won’t be as inclined to help me in the future if I request an exchange?