Vintage keepall vs brand new

Jul 15, 2009
Hello All,

I am hoping to add a keepall to my collection sometime in January. I would really like some advice on whether to go the preloved route (vintage), or just purchase brand new.

Of course there is a price difference, but I’m wondering if it’s worth paying the extra money to buy brand new.

I’ve heard the vintage keepall’s are better in terms of canvas quality. Is this true? Any advice would be great.

Thank you

Last edited:
I’ve been pondering the same thing! Price savings is just too compelling to ignore. I’m picky with preloved and there are plenty nice bags out there if patient you can find exactly what you want in the condition you want. However, I’m erring in buying new simply for luggage tag access. If I can get tags with a preloved bag on the secondhand market, please someone let me know how that works!

Reactions: Kalvary4Chanel
I’ve been pondering the same thing! Price savings is just too compelling to ignore. I’m picky with preloved and there are plenty nice bags out there if patient you can find exactly what you want in the condition you want. However, I’m erring in buying new simply for luggage tag access. If I can get tags with a preloved bag on the secondhand market, please someone let me know how that works!
- There are a lot of items preloved with luggage tag, i just bought one and in transit now, keepall 50B with luggage tag, handle holder, straps, lock and key... u just need to have a lot of patience searching for the one that would call out ur attention. Good Luck

- There are a lot of items preloved with luggage tag, i just bought one and in transit now, keepall 50B with luggage tag, handle holder, straps, lock and key... u just need to have a lot of patience searching for the one that would call out ur attention. Good Luck
Oh sorry I was unclear. I meant buying new so it’s in my purchase history and I can walk into any LV and buy a new tag, collect stamps, etc.

Hello All,

I am hoping to add a keepall to my collection sometime in January. I would really like some advice on whether to go the preloved route (vintage), or just purchase brand new.

Of course there is a price difference, but I’m wondering if it’s worth paying the extra money to buy brand new.

I’ve heard the vintage keepall’s are better in terms of canvas quality. Is this true? Any advice would be great.

Thank you
I always prefer to buy new if the item is available in store. However, if you want to save money, there are a lot of gently used Keepalls on the preloved market. This is undoubtedly one of LV’s best selling bags and a little bit of patience will get you one in good condition and well below retail. Have it authenticated of course: fakes are everywhere.

Same as @fabuleux , I always buy brand new if it's available to buy new from store, even if it hard to do so with some models. As for bags with Vachetta leather like the Keepall. I love to see its patina develop overtime. So buying new is a must for me. I do understand that some people love the look of a used Keepall, but I just prefer to be someone who happen to make it look used or age.

I always buy new. +1 on the fakes issue above.

But especially keepalls - there are wonderful seasonal ones. I feel like getting a plain one is - well, plain.

This past year some amazing ones were released - titanium, galaxy, splits, silver, upside down, Vivienne - wow! So many great releases.

2019 is going to start with Virgil’s though I hear for these ones if you didn’t pre order it’s too late. But I bet shortly after there will be great ones. The monogram giant looks amazing.

Yes the price difference is a pro, I’ve had a look at preloved and I am leaning towards brand new now. I haven’t found any in a condition I’m completely comfortable with, and as you mentioned the luggage tag access. I am also abit fearful of how many fakes there are.
Thank you for your reply.

I always prefer to buy new if the item is available in store. However, if you want to save money, there are a lot of gently used Keepalls on the preloved market. This is undoubtedly one of LV’s best selling bags and a little bit of patience will get you one in good condition and well below retail. Have it authenticated of course: fakes are everywhere.
Same as @fabuleux , I always buy brand new if it's available to buy new from store, even if it hard to do so with some models. As for bags with Vachetta leather like the Keepall. I love to see its patina develop overtime. So buying new is a must for me. I do understand that some people love the look of a used Keepall, but I just prefer to be someone who happen to make it look used or age.
I always buy new. +1 on the fakes issue above.

But especially keepalls - there are wonderful seasonal ones. I feel like getting a plain one is - well, plain.

This past year some amazing ones were released - titanium, galaxy, splits, silver, upside down, Vivienne - wow! So many great releases.

2019 is going to start with Virgil’s though I hear for these ones if you didn’t pre order it’s too late. But I bet shortly after there will be great ones. The monogram giant looks amazing.

Thank you for your replies, I agree I’m starting to lean towards brand new. Although there is a huge price difference, I think there is a greater benefit in buying brand new.

I’ve always purchased brand new and I think I will keep doing that. I’m also quite worried about the amount of fakes around.

Thank you all

I ran into a few issues with trying to buy preloved -- I wanted either the Massacar or the Damier Graphite and both of those are incredibly difficult to find preloved, and when you do I often found that they came up as fake.
Ultimately, I was happy that I could get the exact color/size I wanted from the boutique and I found the quality incredible (I have stuffed my 55 into overhead bins, into cars, taxi's, international flights) and it still looks brand new.

If you could find a preloved with your specs the cost savings is worth it -- I just wasn't patient :smile:

I ran into a few issues with trying to buy preloved -- I wanted either the Massacar or the Damier Graphite and both of those are incredibly difficult to find preloved, and when you do I often found that they came up as fake.
Ultimately, I was happy that I could get the exact color/size I wanted from the boutique and I found the quality incredible (I have stuffed my 55 into overhead bins, into cars, taxi's, international flights) and it still looks brand new.

If you could find a preloved with your specs the cost savings is worth it -- I just wasn't patient :smile:

Thank you, regarding the quality that’s great to hear. I think brand new is the way to go. I’m not patient at all hahahaha