Hermes Replacement Bag Straps

I figured out how to make the bag strap hardware interchangeable so I can use both gold hardware and palladium hardware depending on the hardware color of my bag. [emoji3] This modification isn’t going to work for everyone because you have to first cut off the O rings that connect the bag strap end to the swivel snap hook. [emoji33][emoji33]

IMG_1541281562.265980.jpg

I used an 8” mini bolt and wire cutter that I found on Amazon for $8 to remove the O rings. IMG_1541281653.548796.jpg
I cut the O ring in two places: one cut on each side of the swivel snap hook.

IMG_1541282234.026556.jpg

After the O rings have been cut off, you’ll have disconnected the swivel snap hooks from the leather strap ends.

IMG_1541282373.742192.jpg

Then, I replaced the original O rings with spring gate O rings that can open and close.

IMG_1541282430.929896.jpg

The spring gate O ring has to fit through the round opening at the bottom of the swivel snap hook.

IMG_1541282537.680317.jpg

And then slide back in place at the bag strap end.

IMG_1541282774.215238.jpg

Ta da!

IMG_1541282876.349765.jpg

By replacing the original O rings with spring gate O rings, I can now change the hardware color from gold to palladium and back to gold again! [emoji3]

IMG_1541282991.875906.jpg

I bought silver toned spring gate O rings and gold toned spring gate O rings on Etsy. The tricky part is finding a spring gate O ring with a metal thickness no greater than 3 mm (1/8”) wide (any thicker and it will not fit through the swivel snap hook opening). The outer diameter of the ring is 5/8”.

IMG_1541283337.561876.jpg

I also found swivel snap hooks similar in size to the H swivel snap hooks on Etsy.

IMG_1541283329.003907.jpg

(You won’t use the un-soldered O rings that come with the hooks). Alternatively, if you have an H bag strap with gold hardware and a second H bag strap with palladium hardware, you could cut off the swivel snap hooks from both straps and then you’ll have a set in both hardware colors!

I figured out how to make the bag strap hardware interchangeable so I can use both gold hardware and palladium hardware depending on the hardware color of my bag. [emoji3] This modification isn’t going to work for everyone because you have to first cut off the O rings that connect the bag strap end to the swivel snap hook. [emoji33][emoji33]

View attachment 4242088

I used an 8” mini bolt and wire cutter that I found on Amazon for $8 to remove the O rings. View attachment 4242094

View attachment 4242105

After the O rings have been cut off, you’ll have disconnected the swivel snap hooks from the leather strap ends.

View attachment 4242113

Then, I replaced the original O rings with spring gate O rings that can open and close.

View attachment 4242116

The spring gate O ring has to fit through the round opening at the bottom of the swivel snap hook.

View attachment 4242122

View attachment 4242126

Ta da!

View attachment 4242129

By replacing the original O rings with spring gate O rings, I can now change the hardware color from gold to palladium and back to gold again! [emoji3]

View attachment 4242133

I bought silver toned spring gate O rings and gold toned spring gate O rings on Etsy. The tricky part is finding a spring gate O ring with a metal thickness no greater than 3 mm (1/8”) wide (any thicker and it will not fit through the swivel snap hook opening). The outer diameter of the ring is 5/8”.

View attachment 4242135

I also found swivel snap hooks similar in size to the H swivel snap hooks on Etsy.

View attachment 4242134

(You won’t use the un-soldered O rings that come with the hooks). Alternatively, if you have an H bag strap with gold hardware and a second H bag strap with palladium hardware, you could cut off the swivel snap hooks from both straps and then you’ll have a set in both hardware colors!

@lala28, thanks so much for sharing the step by step of this DIY [emoji813]️ Now I will definitely invest on H straps, woohoo!

Reactions: duoduoo

View attachment 4242088

I used an 8” mini bolt and wire cutter that I found on Amazon for $8 to remove the O rings. View attachment 4242094

View attachment 4242105

View attachment 4242113

View attachment 4242116

View attachment 4242122

View attachment 4242126

Ta da!

View attachment 4242129

View attachment 4242133

View attachment 4242135

View attachment 4242134

This is brilliant! Thank you!!!

View attachment 4242088

View attachment 4242105

View attachment 4242113

View attachment 4242116

View attachment 4242122

View attachment 4242126

Ta da!

View attachment 4242129

View attachment 4242133

View attachment 4242135

View attachment 4242134

Brilliant!!

I bought a Sangle Cavale 50mm in 105cm length for my Kelly. I tied a little knot in the middle to shorten the length and can now use it for both shoulder carry (with knot) or crossbody (original length). The canvas style strap is very comfortable and easy to carry both ways. Try it out!

Attachments

• 657E580F-82D6-4CAA-A36A-5A16C2EC1CE2.jpeg
    657E580F-82D6-4CAA-A36A-5A16C2EC1CE2.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 1,471
I bought a Sangle Cavale 50mm in 105cm length for my Kelly. I tied a little knot in the middle to shorten the length and can now use it for both shoulder carry (with knot) or crossbody (original length). The canvas style strap is very comfortable and easy to carry both ways. Try it out!

Brilliant idea!

A very special thank you to a dear friend who brought me back this Magnolia Tressage strap (in epsom leather) from Paris [emoji177]. The extra long 105 cm length makes it perfect for crossbody wear, and it’s a wonderful match with my Rose Pourpre K28 PHW in evercolor [emoji177]. I would love more of these straps in the future!!! [emoji7] Thanks for letting me share!!!
p.s. if I’m feeling brave enough I may try a lala28 and swap the hardware! [emoji28]. Thanks for the brilliant idea and step by step instructions lala!!

09f55867c990ac26aa067240985086fe.jpg

Is this strap (or any of these straps) shorter than the standard Kelly Sellier 25 strap? I don’t like the standard length because I feel the bag bounces off my body and would LOVE a shorter strap.

(I don’t wear bags crossbody, so that’s not a solution for me)

They come in 3 lengths: 70, 85, 105.
So 70 may work perfectly for me since the standard Kelly strap is 85

View attachment 4242088

View attachment 4242105

View attachment 4242113

View attachment 4242116

View attachment 4242122

View attachment 4242126

Ta da!

View attachment 4242129

View attachment 4242133

View attachment 4242135

View attachment 4242134

Genius, but this terrifies me!

So cool you can knot it. And no damage to the strap?