Tips/Advice for customs, VAT, etc.

Hey! I hope this is the right place to post

I really love collecting vintage purses. I’m in Canada and I’m considering importing purses from both Japan and the US. Is my duty fee based on the original cost of the bag, or the price that I paid? Does anyone have any experience with duty fees involving used bags? Thanks

Hey! I hope this is the right place to post

I really love collecting vintage purses. I’m in Canada and I’m considering importing purses from both Japan and the US. Is my duty fee based on the original cost of the bag, or the price that I paid? Does anyone have any experience with duty fees involving used bags? Thanks

Not sure how it is in Canada, but in most countries (at least the ones I lived in) it depends on the price you paid, it helps if the seller puts in a print out (like if you bought from a private seller) with the transaction, otherwise customs often will do an estimate, and that is rarely in your favour but based on the price of a new bag.

Hello!
I wanted to clear something up about the tax free/vat free shopping. I have done it many times in the past however, I was always returning directly to the states from the departure airport. My next trip is a little different and may need to be planned accordingly depending on how much of a pain this process might be. I am flying directly from the states to London and plan on staying there for a few days. After, I am flying to Barcelona and staying there for a few days. I plan on shopping in both countries. I know that when I leave London, I will go through customs and will submit my refund and such there. My concern is if I transit back through the UK, will I get fined for brining these items back in even though I am not leaving the airport? If this is the case, I will then transit through another EU country to get home. Also, if I go lets say Frankfurt to go back to the states, I know you must submit your refund and receive the stamp at the last departure from the EU. Is there a way to do this inside the transit area or must I go outside of security to do this? I may have to go outside of security anyway (I work in the airline industry and if I check my bag it will only go to the next destination not all the way through) but if I am able to stay in the transit area to do this it would be a lot easier. Sorry if this is very confusing. If you have any experience with this please let me know.

Google the airport from where you are leaving and check with them. I don't think there is a fine if you are passing through, what might happen is that they note which items you are bringing in and make sure you take them out of the country with you again, if you haven't paid tax in an EU country.

Hello ladies! I’m traveling to Paris next week. I’ll be traveling with my Chanel bag. It looks fairly new. Do I have to declare it before I leave? I don’t want to be questioned coming back.

I also plan to buy bags and small leather goods while traveling. How does duty rate for US customs work after $800 duty free and up to $1000 3% rate? I plan to purchase around $6000 and I’d love to know how much I have to pay returuning back. Thank you in advance!!

Hello ladies! I’m traveling to Paris next week. I’ll be traveling with my Chanel bag. It looks fairly new. Do I have to declare it before I leave? I don’t want to be questioned coming back.

I also plan to buy bags and small leather goods while traveling. How does duty rate for US customs work after $800 duty free and up to $1000 3% rate? I plan to purchase around $6000 and I’d love to know how much I have to pay returuning back. Thank you in advance!!

Hi!

I usually take pictures of my bags before I travel. If I’m ever questioned I can show those pics. As far as customs they are all different and very inconsistent. The times that I have paid it was 3% for the first $1000 above the $800. After that first $1000 the rest is calculated at 5%. They have a table with the different categories. For example silk is taxed at a different rate than leather goods.

Hi!

I usually take pictures of my bags before I travel. If I’m ever questioned I can show those pics. As far as customs they are all different and very inconsistent. The times that I have paid it was 3% for the first $1000 above the $800. After that first $1000 the rest is calculated at 5%. They have a table with the different categories. For example silk is taxed at a different rate than leather goods.

Taking pictures that show date and location is a good idea. You could also take a picture of the receipt for the bag as extra "protection."

Hi everyone, long time lurker to these forums, first time poster.

I have a question - my MIL went to Italy about a month ago and bought two Prada bags. She had the VAT refund form filled out at the store and at the Rome airport, got it stamped and sealed in an envelope by customs. When she went to get the form processed at the airport VAT office, the office was closed, and there was just a mail slot where everyone dropped off their forms. She said it looked very messy and nobody was working at the office. Today, she found a charge on her credit card labeled "Tax Refund Roma". She is being charged for VAT, not refunded, even though she already paid full price (i.e. including VAT) when she purchased the bags.

Has this happened to anyone? Why is she being charged further for VAT? She called her credit card company and they asked to see backup of the VAT form, but she doesn't have a copy of it since it was sealed and dropped off at the office. It's fine if she doesn't get the refund but we don't understand why she is being charged more. She has shopped in Europe many times before and hasn't ever had a problem with getting her VAT refund.

I can't offer any advice ^^^ but I have taken to taking pictures of the VAT forms in case I need them in a situation such as yours.
I hope this gets straightened out.

Hi everyone, long time lurker to these forums, first time poster.

I have a question - my MIL went to Italy about a month ago and bought two Prada bags. She had the VAT refund form filled out at the store and at the Rome airport, got it stamped and sealed in an envelope by customs. When she went to get the form processed at the airport VAT office, the office was closed, and there was just a mail slot where everyone dropped off their forms. She said it looked very messy and nobody was working at the office. Today, she found a charge on her credit card labeled "Tax Refund Roma". She is being charged for VAT, not refunded, even though she already paid full price (i.e. including VAT) when she purchased the bags.

Has this happened to anyone? Why is she being charged further for VAT? She called her credit card company and they asked to see backup of the VAT form, but she doesn't have a copy of it since it was sealed and dropped off at the office. It's fine if she doesn't get the refund but we don't understand why she is being charged more. She has shopped in Europe many times before and hasn't ever had a problem with getting her VAT refund.

This has never happened to me. I know some stores don’t charge you the VAT when they processed the paperwork but you are given a grace period. If the grace period is over then they’ll charge the VAT that was credited. I’m guessing your MIL couldn’t get the paperwork stamp so the VAT was not validated and the grace period is over. If the VAT was not validated then there’s not much you can do. If she got the forms validated try contacting the store. They usually keep copies of the paperwork. Good luck!

Hi! I'm considering a purchase on Ebay. I'm in the US and the seller is in the UK. It's a small leather clutch and it will be around $900 plus shipping unless the seller accepts the offer I think I might make. She ships via Royal International Mail. Would I pay import duties? If so, would it be on the whole purchase amount? And what would be the worst case scenario on the percentage? 8%?

Hi! I'm considering a purchase on Ebay. I'm in the US and the seller is in the UK. It's a small leather clutch and it will be around $900 plus shipping unless the seller accepts the offer I think I might make. She ships via Royal International Mail. Would I pay import duties? If so, would it be on the whole purchase amount? And what would be the worst case scenario on the percentage? 8%?

You would only pay on the amount over $800, so it would be very minimal, if you are charged.

For those who have claimed VAT and had a connecting flight home, did you go to the Customs office at the first airport or the connecting airport? I’m flying to Madrid from the U.S. I plan to shop in Madrid, and the flight back to the U.S. connects in Munich for 1 hr. Any experience with this or a similar scenario? And if you’ve flown out of Madrid and gone to customs any personal tips? TIA!