Scarves Hermès Spring/Summer '19 Scarves

With apologies to anyone who loves the newest iteration of this design, I see this trend toward oversimplification as a thinly veiled attempt to cut costs. Repeating designs season after season, reducing the number of screens and dyes, and increasing prices on various products results in the record-breaking profits that Hermès posts quarter after quarter. I know that many appreciate a “fresh take” on a classic design, but I personally have never found a silk re-mix that exceeded the beauty of the original. I sometimes wonder, what’s next?

Lol. This is soooo accurate!

I have observed in the past a tendency to reduce the numbers of colours and the complexity of designs but I have to say I find this version more attractive than the original but perhaps that it because the colours are - as stated here - a bit more wearable for the average human. The boldness of the design in this format does look a bit scary when worn which is filling me with trepidation for the arrival of Perspectives which is a vertiginous design at the best of times.
Hermes are being business savvy as their commercial performance has shown but it's not as if with Ugo Gattoni joining the gods of hyper-detailed design like Annie Faivre there isn't a lot of dense designs to enjoy.
Robe du Soir Pop's purple and dark teal versions are yummy!

@EmileH @klynneann @c18027 @momasaurus @MYH I just want to point out that the Robe du Soir POP isn't a new design, per se. It was issued as a gavroche for SS18, the same season where Robe du Soir was debuted and featured prominently in various depts. While some may say it's fine for the smaller format, well they did the same thing for many other designs in simplification, most recently the Jardin de Maharani Cadre in CSGM. :shrugs: This has happened many times in the past e.g., Brazil, Sulfures et Priesse Papiers (detail) are two designs that come to mind off the top of my head. So, this isn't new. :shrugs: :peace:

@EmileH @klynneann @c18027 @momasaurus @MYH I just want to point out that the Robe du Soir POP isn't a new design, per se. It was issued as a gavroche for SS18, the same season where Robe du Soir was debuted and featured prominently in various depts. While some may say it's fine for the smaller format, well they did the same thing for many other designs in simplification, most recently the Jardin de Maharani Cadre in CSGM. :shrugs: This has happened many times in the past e.g., Brazil, Sulfures et Priesse Papiers (detail) are two designs that come to mind off the top of my head. So, this isn't new. :shrugs: :peace:

Fair enough Wen84. I am not against all simplification. I am one of the few who embraced the c’est la fete finesse cashmere and I love my flamingo party tattoo. But for me robe du soir is all about the rope detail. I find those big white lines rather jarring. But hey there is something for everyone. And at least I do not have to regret buying the 90.

ok I was already going to complain what they are thinking with their color palletes when I saw 14 which is actually quite nice...
With apologies to anyone who loves the newest iteration of this design, I see this trend toward oversimplification as a thinly veiled attempt to cut costs. Repeating designs season after season, reducing the number of screens and dyes, and increasing prices on various products results in the record-breaking profits that Hermès posts quarter after quarter. I know that many appreciate a “fresh take” on a classic design, but I personally have never found a silk re-mix that exceeded the beauty of the original. I sometimes wonder, what’s next?
haha nice job!
I may be in the minority, but I like the simplified, graphic quality of the 140. And I'd buy your stylized SS20 version if I loved the colors used! :biggrin: I know not everyone's cup of tea, but a number of my favorite older scarves are simple graphics, with only two colors. My difficulty for a several scarf seasons has been the color palettes they've chosen. I've found them challenging, and hard for me to wear, so I've not bought any new scarves for quite a while!
I'm actually in the market for a more simple, graphic scarf as well. but like you, I really struggle with their color choices...

personally I found the Jardin a Maharani recadré to be much more modern with the striped border instead of the animal border (which puts me off the original design). I guess there is something for everybody :smile:

I agree with you 100%
A few seasons back I posted a comment where I mentioned that I refuse to pay the same price for a simplified scarf (or a tattoo, a bandana, a so called “fresher version”, etc) that is done with one or two screens... it might be fun if one of your favorite designs is brought back, or if you are new to H. But IMPO I am starting to feel offended ... I told my shop Manager that I would buy some of this new variations but for, let’s say, 30% less of the normal price... just because I love H I am not willing to let them take me for a ride! At least not every time... [emoji5]

I agree with you 100%
A few seasons back I posted a comment where I mentioned that I refuse to pay the same price for a simplified scarf (or a tattoo, a bandana, a so called “fresher version”, etc) that is done with one or two screens... it might be fun if one of your favorite designs is brought back, or if you are new to H. But IMPO I am starting to feel offended ... I told my shop Manager that I would buy some of this new variations but for, let’s say, 30% less of the normal price... just because I love H I am not willing to let them take me for a ride! At least not every time... [emoji5]
Using very few colours is connected to a new ecological philosophy in Hermes project, since 7 or 8 years. Of course it needs less work as well but they do not want to adjust this to the price level. And they also print the silk with robots... people don't act anymore, they just control the final result. :annoyed:

Using very few colours is connected to a new ecological philosophy in Hermes project, since 7 or 8 years. Of course it needs less work as well but they do not want to adjust this to the price level. And they also print the silk with robots... people don't act anymore, they just control the final result. :annoyed:
it’s all about margins these days... forget the art.