Gucci Vintage Information Thread

Reactions: Lululuvlux
Hi all! Does anyone have suggestions on where to get my pre-loved Gucci bag (purch. from Vestiaire Collective) repaired? There is a small place where the stitching has popped loose on the front of the bag near the tab (see photos below). I have thought about contacting Gucci customer service but don't know if repair is possible through Gucci CS since I didn't purchase from Gucci directly.

Any thoughts or suggestions?View attachment 4200298View attachment 4200299

I don't know what the recent policy is. No harm to ask, they'll charge for it anyway. It actually looks like it just needs a a stitch

Thank you! I did ask and Gucci US CS said they can't repair. I think I could patch with a discrete fine thread.

Is there a recommendation on where to get it repaired that won't make it worse?

Rago Brothers in Morristown, NJ. They have a mail in service and will quote for free. Many high end designers use them for repairs. I first read about them years ago in New York Times. My local LV store has recommended them to clients. They repaired Gucci items and LV items for me in the past. I’m not affiliated with them at all and can’t guarantee what they will do for you but might be worth asking.

Reactions: papertiger
Hi I have just purchased this bag from Ebay and wondered if you could tell me a little more about it please. I think it was made in the 1960's but I am not sure
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Hi I have just purchased this bag from Ebay and wondered if you could tell me a little more about it please. I think it was made in the 1960's but I am not sure
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

It's from the 1960s and one of the earliest examples of the GG print used on a handbag. Because of the pristine condition and the original packaging you may like show it to the Gucci Museum in Florence

It's from the 1960s and one of the earliest examples of the GG print used on a handbag. Because of the pristine condition and the original packaging you may like show it to the Gucci Museum in Florence
Oh wow! It is in beautiful condition, it even has the original Gucci tissue paper with it. I tried to do some research online, but its difficult to find examples of this GG print. How would I go about showing it to the Gucci museum?

Oh wow! It is in beautiful condition, it even has the original Gucci tissue paper with it. I tried to do some research online, but its difficult to find examples of this GG print. How would I go about showing it to the Gucci museum?

I searched for their email (I have emailed them in the past) but I think it's changed. The museum has even lost its stand-alone website (now just part of gucci.com)

Phone +39 055 7592 7010 and ask for the email for the Head of Archives.

I searched for their email (I have emailed them in the past) but I think it's changed. The museum has even lost its stand-alone website (now just part of gucci.com)

Phone +39 055 7592 7010 and ask for the email for the Head of Archives.
Thanks, I have sent an email through the main Gucci website. I am in the UK so hopefully it will go through to them in Italy. If I don't get a reply I will try and call them. Its a shame, there doesn't appear to be much information about the Archives at all. Is there any other resource that I could use to find out more information about this bag?

Thanks, I have sent an email through the main Gucci website. I am in the UK so hopefully it will go through to them in Italy. If I don't get a reply I will try and call them. Its a shame, there doesn't appear to be much information about the Archives at all. Is there any other resource that I could use to find out more information about this bag?

Probably not. You could try Chisties as both Gucci and Christies are linked by Kering. They can probably get hold of people at the museum if their resident bag expert needs help (which they frequently do). Not sure you'll get much more than 1960s shoulder bag from a Summer collection but worth a try.

Thank you! Thanks Papertiger I will see what I can do. If there is any more information I will let you know. Just one question, what leather would it have been lined with? It looks a lot like pigs skin, (some pores) but it is quite soft. Not sure if pigs skin is soft, but the bags that I have had in the past have been quite firm (if you know what I mean :smile: )

Reactions: papertiger
Thank you! Thanks Papertiger I will see what I can do. If there is any more information I will let you know. Just one question, what leather would it have been lined with? It looks a lot like pigs skin, (some pores) but it is quite soft. Not sure if pigs skin is soft, but the bags that I have had in the past have been quite firm (if you know what I mean :smile: )

Depends on the age and size of the boar used. Post a closer pic of leather so far it looks like calf