Saint Laurent Sac De Jour Souple

My new Sac De Jou Souple came today but I am disappointed by how warped the leather is!
I know it is a softer leather but I am surprised that it is already looking bumpy - it does not show up as much in the photos but there are definitely bumps when I run my hand across the whole bag - the leather is not flat. I do not think this is how it is supposed to look like, especially brand new.

Another disappointing issue was with the shoulder strap - I had to adjust the strap to make it shorter (from the default middle hole) - and you can see how the hole has now enlarged completely.

It really looks like the bag has been used to carry some heavy things - I wonder if it is a return?
Did any of your souple bags arrive brand new but in this condition?

View attachment 4157852 View attachment 4157853

I just purchased a small souple SDJ and haven’t taken it out of the box, so I can check and see what mine looks like tomorrow. The body doesn’t look odd to me since the leather is softer (it’s not meant to be a super structured bag), but I can check my bag strap hole tomorrow since I haven’t used it yet.

I should have added a while ago, but I got the black small souple SDJ for ~$1,800 about a month ago during the designer seasonal sale. Happened to be watching the bag on one specific site and it happened to drop one day and I immediately snatched it up before it sold out hours later!

My new Sac De Jou Souple came today but I am disappointed by how warped the leather is!
I know it is a softer leather but I am surprised that it is already looking bumpy - it does not show up as much in the photos but there are definitely bumps when I run my hand across the whole bag - the leather is not flat. I do not think this is how it is supposed to look like, especially brand new.

Another disappointing issue was with the shoulder strap - I had to adjust the strap to make it shorter (from the default middle hole) - and you can see how the hole has now enlarged completely.

It really looks like the bag has been used to carry some heavy things - I wonder if it is a return?
Did any of your souple bags arrive brand new but in this condition?

View attachment 4157852 View attachment 4157853

I’ve moved my strap for changing from shoulder to crossbody and the holes didn’t t enlarge. When I have something lumpy in my bag it does sort of show through the leather but then I move it nearer the centre and the lumps do go. I too wonder if yours is a used return. I’ve also never carried weight in mine.

What size is yours? I have the bag in baby size and that size does hold it’s shape. It’s my everyday bag that I’ve used for the past year and it still looks brand new. The holes in my strap also look fine, not like yours. I do think you were sold a used bag. Can you exchange it? They are great bags and I love the quality of the leather.

I've seen brand new bags in the store with such lumpy leather so it's not unusual i think. But the enlarged strap hole certainly is strange and it does seem like the strap has been used before. If you have misgivings about the bag, maybe return it? At this price point you should be completely happy with your bag :smile:

Thanks everyone for your advice.

The size I have is the baby size - so yes I would expect it to keep its shape better than a small size. The bulging/warped leather is definitely a worry if it is indeed “brand new”.

I have contacted the store now and let’s see what my options are for return/exchange.

I purchased sdj souple nano in flash blue! OBSESSED WITH THE COLOR AND THE LEATHER IS SO SOFT! I am so sad to see after one month of light use, BOTH handles are cracking terribly. I reached out to me SA and he said ysl will repair for free but JEEZ 2700$+ with tax for a small little bag and the detial could use much improvement. The glazing has mini bubbles in it and the trim is not completely even in some places. I love the bag but with ysl it may be a hit or miss with quality.

Attachments

• 88658270-EFDE-4587-80CF-70F396E3614F.jpeg
    88658270-EFDE-4587-80CF-70F396E3614F.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 883
Reactions: BlueCherry
My medium SDJ souplé in grained leather. So far I have no complaints. This is my first SDJ and the leather feels glorious! It also holds its shape well so far and I love the separator-cum-clutch. I plan to use this as an everyday bag for a while. This is the perfect bag (read: shield) to go back to the office with after maternity leave. View attachment 3959768 View attachment 3959769

My cracking handles on mine after 1 month

Attachments

• 5CFA9378-EE07-4975-9259-07FDBB7EF1CE.jpeg
    5CFA9378-EE07-4975-9259-07FDBB7EF1CE.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 873
  • 57A2707A-3EA9-42C8-8860-6AE2CB5CA49A.jpeg
    57A2707A-3EA9-42C8-8860-6AE2CB5CA49A.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 887
You made a great choice! The souple is indeed stunning and I receive tons of compliments on it whenever I wear it. It is also highly functional -- I fit tons in it and my laptop as well. Congratulations on your imminent purchase!

one month after purchasing

Attachments

• 966B9193-5BF4-478B-8232-1E00DD67FCDD.jpeg
    966B9193-5BF4-478B-8232-1E00DD67FCDD.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 851
  • 545F31BF-4DA2-4E45-8F7E-95189F00BFAB.jpeg
    545F31BF-4DA2-4E45-8F7E-95189F00BFAB.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 863
  • D87C6F00-BFA3-43B5-BCD1-037BF5C78A2C.jpeg
    D87C6F00-BFA3-43B5-BCD1-037BF5C78A2C.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 865
one month after purchasing
I think that this is more of a design issue instead of a quality issue. With such a small bag, it looks like the handles need to be pulled to open the bag, hence the cracks are all concentrated toward the base of the handles where they hyper-extend while the bag is opened. There are no cracks near the top of the handles. Resin tends to crack where the leather is flexed because the resin itself is not as flexible as the leather, so it cracks in response to the applied stress to alleviate the tension.

To avoid this from happening after it has been repaired, open the bag by pushing your hand into the opening and then stretching it without pulling the handles to open the bag.

I have the 48hr Sac de Jour duffle for men and the because the bag is easier to open (the opening is a lot larger and softer than on the small Sac de Jour), this cracking hasn't happened.

I think that this is more of a design issue instead of a quality issue. With such a small bag, it looks like the handles need to be pulled to open the bag, hence the cracks are all concentrated toward the base of the handles where they hyper-extend while the bag is opened. There are no cracks near the top of the handles. Resin tends to crack where the leather is flexed because the resin itself is not as flexible as the leather, so it cracks in response to the applied stress to alleviate the tension.

To avoid this from happening after it has been repaired, open the bag by pushing your hand into the opening and then stretching it without pulling the handles to open the bag.

I have the 48hr Sac de Jour duffle for men and the because the bag is easier to open (the opening is a lot larger and softer than on the small Sac de Jour), this cracking hasn't happened.

Actually you make a very valid point @averagejoe - I have the baby SDJ and it’s handles are ok. But my older Céline micro luggage bags (same style) have some cracking and it’s because I drag the bag towards me by one handle, thereby causing stress. Celine offered to repair it but I’m not too fussed and I caused it but I have been a bit more careful with all my top handle bags now.

Will you please post a pic of the 48hr duffle? How are you liking it? I fell in love with it recently when I visited the store and planning on getting it soon :smile: