Merry Christmas - or: Happy Holidays?

Hey Charles - Love everything you say! When I young, a teacher told me ignorance is bliss. Each year, this rings truer and truer. I'd give just about anything to experience that bliss - sadly we can't so we will keep fighting the good fight.

Reactions: jellyv
@ The Twelve Days of Christmas [emoji2]

I think "The Twelve Days of Holidays" would not sound so well. :cool:

Of course not, Silly! @Traminer since it's a specific observance in the Christian religion commencing on the Christian day of Christmas. [emoji23] Remember, it's not even celebrated by *all* Christians.

Happy holidays from the rest of us non Christians!

Last edited:
Due to difficulties with sticking to the old calendar, most celebrate on 12/25 but here are services and usually families will have a small gathering. When I was younger, I always got a small present on 1/7. Easter, on the other hand, is strictly based upon the Julian calendar. This was sometimes an issue when I was a kid because it could weeks after the Gregorian calendar. There were many years when all the Easter egg dying kits impossible to buy as well as the candy. We had one chocolatier who was Orthodox in town, but he made very dark chocolates. My mom always bought me these expensive beautiful hand made chocolates that I despised - because i was a kid and dark chocolate is an acquired taste that most 7 year olds lack! I still tease her about the Easters with terrible candy and the stench of vinegar (food coloring and vinegar since all the Paas glitter kits were long gone). Then add the weird foods and the extremely strict fasting rules! Although not Greek, I really identify with my big fat Greek wedding.

That's fantastic! I'd love to have double celebration. Thanks also for taking the time to explain it to me. I love hearing about different religions even though I'm not religious myself.

Talking of traditions - tomorrow is a public holiday in parts Germany: Dreikönigstag - the Day of the Three Kings. It is a holiday in my home region Baden-Württemberg. :smile:

“Three Kings Day” does not conjure up a warm and fuzzy feeling for most Americans as it is not a holiday commonly celebrated in the United States. In Europe, however, January 6, which in English is generally referred to as “Epiphany,” is honored in various forms as a part of the Christian Christmas calendar. It is the twelfth day after the birth of Christ and the day on which the Magi arrived at the manger in Bethlehem. As a Christian holiday, “Dreikönigstag” is an amalgam of various elements adopted at different times in Christian history. In the Bible, Matthew is the only apostle to report on the Magi’s visit to Bethlehem. Interestingly, he never mentions a specific number of kings, but simply refers to them as “Magi from the east” (Matthew 2:1). The fact that there were three of them is conjecture based on the number of gifts they brought: gold, frankincense, and myrrh. Some time between the 6th and 9th century, the three Wise Men, rather randomly, received names: Caspar, Melchior, and Balthasar.

More about it: http://deutschdrang.com/dir/german-customs-through-the-year/january-6-dreikonigstag-three-kings-day/

Who has heard of this public holiday before? :smile:

Reactions: HandbagDiva354
Did this thread turn, forcibly by OP, into discussion of various Christian holidays? Isn't it supposed to be about two specific forms of greetings, i.e., language and not religion per se?

Because otherwise, I gather we can post about any and all world religion observances. In that vein: what are everyone's thoughts on the Hindu celebration Holi as it is done worldwide?

Reactions: clu13 and redney
Who could possibly forget about January 25th? It's Criminon Day.
Criminon is a program for rehabilitating prisoners using L. Ron Hubbard's teachings. Criminon International, a non-profit, public-benefit corporation managing the Criminon program, was spawned from Narconon International in 2000, and is part of Association for Better Living and Education's public outreach programs. Criminon is promoted by the Church of Scientology International. Independent experts contend that methods used by the program are not supported by any scientific studies*.
(source: Wikipedia)
* Whaaaat? C'mon. Really? I find that hard to believe.

And with that dolls, I'm off on my spaceship to Xenu. Nanu Nanu :wave:

Did this thread turn, forcibly by OP, into discussion of various Christian holidays? Isn't it supposed to be about two specific forms of greetings, i.e., language and not religion per se?

Because otherwise, I gather we can post about any and all world religion observances. In that vein: what are everyone's thoughts on the Hindu celebration Holi as it is done worldwide?
@jellyv all of this! Bravo for you to call this out!

Holi sounds like such a fun holiday! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/0/holi-festival-celebrated-throwing-coloured-powder/ Starts on the evening of March 1 this year.

Today now is the 6th of January - the Day of the Three Holy Kings. :smile:
This is a public holiday in many parts of the world.
And it is not just any random feast day, but it is closely connected with Christmas and therefore perfectly on topic.
This day marks the end of Christmas time - the end of the twelve nights or days.
When I am late with some of my Christmas cards, I often write something like: "It may be too late to wish you a Merry Christmas - but I can still wish you a MERRY CHRISTMAS TIME!" As this Christmas time lasts unto the Day of the Three Holy Kings. :smile:

According to another tradition, Christmas time lasts even until Candlemas - on the 2nd of February.
So - in that sense: "A Merry Christmas Time to everybody!" :smile:
To everybody who is not "offended" by this wish.

And "Happy Holidays!" to everybody who does not like the word "Christmas" and might be even "offended" by it.

A few years ago, the Focus on the Family group perpetrated this nonsensical argument of Merry Christmas vs Happy Holidays. The irony is their campaign featured the line “put Christmas back in the holidays”. If someone says Merry Christmas to me, I’ll say the same, likewise Happy Holidays. One could take the word holiday to mean Holy day or simply to be more inclusive of different religions or ethnic celebrations. I will never understand why people get so upset over which phrase to say and in my 58 years, I’ve never been told NOT to say Merry Christmas and it’s not illegal last I heard and never has been .

I love hearing about different religions even though I'm not religious myself.

Here you can see the Russian-Orthodox church in Baden-Baden:

A glistening golden dome is the hallmark of this Byzantine-styled church, which should definitely be included on your tour of the town.

Sample a piece of living Russian history in Baden-Baden.

Read more - and see pictures:

https://www.baden-baden.de/en/touri...interest/churches-and-castles/russian-church/

Tomorrow - on the 7th of January - I 'll be there to celebrate the Russian-Orthodox Christmas.

с Рождеством! :smile: