Scarves Love it then leave it ,how do you curate your scarf collection?

I used to have regrets over the mistakes, but now I just chalk it up to a learning experience. Am I rationalizing? Welllllll....
But there's something to be said for taking the time to develop a connoisseur's eye. They say that if you want to become a wine connoisseur, you have to open a LOT of bottles! :biggrin:

I can attest to this - both Wine and scarves.
#learningeveryday [emoji6]

I'm a very visual person, so it's all about the color. But I've also found that once one purchases a certain number of H scarves, the patterns and themes start to repeat. Maybe that's why I haven't purchased one in a about 3 years. But I do see a couple I'd like to add to my existing collection:
View attachment 4124371
Also I've found that after amassing a certain number, at least a couple are always away at the cleaners (LOL).

Curious -- do you think that the current number of scarves you own is enough? I wish I were in such a stable shopping equilibrium.

I'm currently in the midst of another aspect of curation and that is what I call the "admisnistration" phase.

I have a lot of scarves. I don't really want to go over a certain number for some years if ever. So now I am going through my list and trying to compare how when and where the scarves I bought relate to their longevity in my collection. As in...am I more likely to get tired of something I found on eBay and rehome it than something I bought new or is it just about the same? I'm sworn off eBay for now. I carefully did not swear off H.com.

Did you arrive to any conclusions? I feel like I have enough scarves where an analysis of my own collection would be statistically significant, but I also am reasonably confident there is no correlation between scarf provenance and frequency of wear for me.

Hm. I like the sea and the underwater themes. Mythological creatures yes, but I don't think I like actual animals, though, in designs. Huskies are OK. I must ponder this! No Jaguar Q, no Tyger tyger, no Baobobcat, no jungle love, no Panthera. I have Cave Felem only for the pun (and the mouse and the mosaics).

I too don't like the big cat ones, although I tried on Baobab Cat today in 90cm, and it was quite nice.

So, I finally had a chance to unite my May H sale finds with the rest of my collect-to-wear gathering. Except for an orange/ecru Grand Roue which may still be in a box somewhere.

3 90s, MTs, moussie 140s, 2 twillies, and 4 CSGMs.

Any thoughts on how to add some variety in terms of colour? I’m drawn to pink/reds and blues, obviously.

This picture makes me very very happy! :smile:

Do you feel like you actually need variety? I think it's totally normal to stick to a color scheme...

I agree... this is a fascinating topic, and our discussion about this season's new Acte III scarf has me thinking about it a lot.

When I consider what draws me to scarves, I believe it depends on whether I'm in the boutique (which is only once a year) or on line. In the boutique, I'm drawn first to color, and then to theme/design. For example, I never even bother to look at the drawers of yellow, brown, or olive scarves because they simply don't suit me and I don't want to waste my SAs (or The Hubster's!) time. Point me to the blues, the clear reds, the raspberries, the purples, the emeralds, or the black & white scarves, please! :amuse:

But on the H site, or on our threads here on tPF, it's definitely design/theme first, and only if that pleases me, do I then look into whether it comes in "my" colorway. My criteria for designs/themes:
1. Nothing overly large (like Zebra Pegasus or JQ)
2. But also nothing teeny-weeny (like Au Pays des Oiseux Fleurs, which I owned, and which I am in the process of re-homing :annoyed:)
3. Nature is good: fish (Grands Fonds, Under the Waves), birds (La Clé des Champs), or critters & trees (Dans un Jardin Anglais)
4. But not dead nature. I'm in the process of re-homing my extremely old Chiens au Rapport, which used to go beautifully with my navy suits, but I hate the dead ducks hanging down from the dogs' mouths. Squick.
5. And not horses, for some reason. I realize this is heresy. :P
6. Not geometrics. Symmetrical is fine, but I prefer my symmetry in swirly, fluid shapes (Le Jardin de la Maharani)
7. Complex, surprising, semi-mystical designs (Mythes et Metamorphoses, Mythiques Phoenix, and perhaps the new Acte III)
8. Designs that I can imagine wearing to a particular venue (Turandot, and Les Ballets Russes, obviously. Acte III also works for this category, darn it!)
9. Designs that I can stare at for hours, in awe of the designer's artistry (Sieste au Paradis. Samouraïs, though I resisted for a long time). And maybe Acte III? :shocked:

Hmmmmm... I wonder which colorway of Acte III would be good for me? :panic: :panic: :panic:

I wholeheartedly support Number 8. I have been known to buy a Sans Souci scarf before heading there...

I used to have regrets over the mistakes, but now I just chalk it up to a learning experience. Am I rationalizing? Welllllll....
But there's something to be said for taking the time to develop a connoisseur's eye. They say that if you want to become a wine connoisseur, you have to open a LOT of bottles! :biggrin:
I totally agree. I have learned a lot from owning, wearing, pondering, and maybe then releasing scarves. Even playing with something in the boutique is not as enlightening as jus having it in your collection for awhile. I have lots of pictures of me wearing scarves I no longer have. I think, Wow that looks good, then realize I don't have it any more, then think Well that was fun to have for awhile, then whatever. I'm not crying. I do have too many 90s, though, LOL.

:lol: too true. Though we do Scotch instead. :smile:. I do all the Scotch buying around here. MrBcat is not allowed to purchase a brand until I've had first whack at it because he is so infernally hard to buy gifts for, so I get first pick in any brand. So far so good after 8 years of buying with only a few "meh" purchases. I enjoy researching them.

I don't think it's rationalizing. Most of us have a limited budget and when you just aren't sure how much you are going to like something, whether it will work out at all or like something that is hard to find, well...finding a bargain to try is no bad thing, imo.
Mmmmm. Scotch.....

Reactions: bunnycat
I totally agree. I have learned a lot from owning, wearing, pondering, and maybe then releasing scarves. Even playing with something in the boutique is not as enlightening as jus having it in your collection for awhile. I have lots of pictures of me wearing scarves I no longer have. I think, Wow that looks good, then realize I don't have it any more, then think Well that was fun to have for awhile, then whatever. I'm not crying. I do have too many 90s, though, LOL.
I'm pretty good about releasing my scarves too. Although I have to say that one scarf that I didn't wear much is now getting a lot more wear. I bought a dress that it looks great with...so I think it was more about finding something that really made the scarf pop. Of course, that means that it isn't a very flexible one. I guess that is one of my criteria is that the scarf needs to look good with a wide range of colors.

Another thought came to mind this morning regarding collections as I was looking at yet another 140 moussie online. I have bought 2 online and then sold them. I have tried on a bunch at the boutiques and looked at a zillion online. I love them...love the way they look on others, love the ethereal beauty, love the changeants, love their durability, etc. But when I put them on, they just don't make my heart sing. I don't know why. I have this weird love-but-not-on-me thing with moussies.

Another thought came to mind this morning regarding collections as I was looking at yet another 140 moussie online. I have bought 2 online and then sold them. I have tried on a bunch at the boutiques and looked at a zillion online. I love them...love the way they look on others, love the ethereal beauty, love the changeants, love their durability, etc. But when I put them on, they just don't make my heart sing. I don't know why. I have this weird love-but-not-on-me thing with moussies.
I am having this exact conversation with real-life friends. I love moussies in theory, but can't integrate them well into my wardrobe and style. I'm not great at tying them, for one thing, but I will try to work on this!!

Exactly moma. There are times you just don't know until you've "lived with it" for a time. The early exploration phase and exploring my likes and dislikes through "bargain" scarves has been no bad thing. Now I've found some of my "fits" in terms of H scarves, buying new is less risky. Tango shoes are much the same way. You'd basically have to buy a pair (or 2 or 3 or whatever) and "live" with them a while to see if they worked on you. Dance shoes are not at all like "street" shoes and they have to be a near perfect match for your foot needs. "Problems" like insufficient padding, heels that aren't placed EXACTLY where you like them, etc...come out after a few wears, then there went $200-250...Now that I have my Regina tango shoes, I reached stable point in shoe fit and accessibility.

I am having this exact conversation with real-life friends. I love moussies in theory, but can't integrate them well into my wardrobe and style. I'm not great at tying them, for one thing, but I will try to work on this!!

It'd be interesting to have a poll on people's favorite formats for their collections, and the ways they tend to tie their scarves, as it is my theory people are going to gravitate to a format that favors the tie/ties they use/like most.

In terms of moussies and liking them or not liking them, I find you have to think a little differently about them and change your tieing methods from that of regular silk if you want to maximize them. I usually don't like the way they (GM's) look in cowboy tie, so if cowboy tie is a someone's most used tie, I can see how there would be very little attraction for them in moussies because they can get kind of flat and flyaway looking in cowboy tie (except maybe the extinct 90's). But CSGMs do look good in cowboy tie, so I can see being attracted to them or 90s for that reason if cowboy or other simialr drapes are your go to. And yay! (or woe to the pocketbook???) for someone who likes all formats and ties . :P Lanit does a masterful job of this and I would say she adapts to the material rather than trying to make the material do a particular thing. She is equally at home in CSGM as moussie GM, but if you ever notice her posts, they generally will not be tied the same way.

FWIW- I'm always jealous of people who can make cowboy tie look good, because I have to work so hard to make that one work on me....and it is such an easy "go to" tie that can look spectacular. And I've only JUST figured out a way to make a variant on asymmetric tie work on me....

Exactly moma. There are times you just don't know until you've "lived with it" for a time. The early exploration phase and exploring my likes and dislikes through "bargain" scarves has been no bad thing. Now I've found some of my "fits" in terms of H scarves, buying new is less risky. Tango shoes are much the same way. You'd basically have to buy a pair (or 2 or 3 or whatever) and "live" with them a while to see if they worked on you. Dance shoes are not at all like "street" shoes and they have to be a near perfect match for your foot needs. "Problems" like insufficient padding, heels that aren't placed EXACTLY where you like them, etc...come out after a few wears, then there went $200-250...Now that I have my Regina tango shoes, I reached stable point in shoe fit and accessibility.

It'd be interesting to have a poll on people's favorite formats for their collections, and the ways they tend to tie their scarves, as it is my theory people are going to gravitate to a format that favors the tie/ties they use/like most.

In terms of moussies and liking them or not liking them, I find you have to think a little differently about them and change your tieing methods from that of regular silk if you want to maximize them. I usually don't like the way they (GM's) look in cowboy tie, so if cowboy tie is a someone's most used tie, I can see how there would be very little attraction for them in moussies because they can get kind of flat and flyaway looking in cowboy tie (except maybe the extinct 90's). But CSGMs do look good in cowboy tie, so I can see being attracted to them or 90s for that reason if cowboy or other simialr drapes are your go to. And yay! (or woe to the pocketbook???) for someone who likes all formats and ties . :P Lanit does a masterful job of this and I would say she adapts to the material rather than trying to make the material do a particular thing. She is equally at home in CSGM as moussie GM, but if you ever notice her posts, they generally will not be tied the same way.

FWIW- I'm always jealous of people who can make cowboy tie look good, because I have to work so hard to make that one work on me....and it is such an easy "go to" tie that can look spectacular. And I've only JUST figured out a way to make a variant on asymmetric tie work on me....
I hope they keep making those tango shoes! Nothing like finding the perfect fit only to have the style change.....
Very smart observation about one's favorite ties needing to match the format. I will ponder this. And you nailed it with @lanit's skillz with both formats. She is an artist.
Congrats on making the asymmetric tie work! Life becomes so easy.

Just fold in a triangle and tie the ends to each side of the Mors ring, gives it a few extra inches:

clfmors-jpg.3581479

Minor additional hack as today:
--the V of my shirt was too deep, so skin was showing below the gavroche, which looked weird
--I couldn't find my Mors ring
--I could find my little magnets (theoretically for keeping the more unlikely ties in place)

So magnet-ing together the very ends of the points together gave me 2 inches more hang than tying it. And I can pretend to have a delicate, swan-like neck like bunnycat. :biggrin:

Minor additional hack as today:
--the V of my shirt was too deep, so skin was showing below the gavroche, which looked weird
--I couldn't find my Mors ring
--I could find my little magnets (theoretically for keeping the more unlikely ties in place)

So magnet-ing together the very ends of the points together gave me 2 inches more hang than tying it. And I can pretend to have a delicate, swan-like neck like bunnycat. :biggrin:
Ooh, magneting the ends together! What a great idea!