Did you stop buying/using contemporary bags once you go luxury?

What happens to me is that I see a premier brand bag that I want (LV Palm Springs backpack, for instance) but I buy a contemporary bag instead (MJ backpack that I really liked), but I never stop pining for the premier bag. It’s been two years and I still think about buying the LV backpack. [emoji849] But I’m hesitating over it because I already have a backpack (even though I neverrrrrr use it). Am I the only one who does this? So annoyed at myself!

2 years is a really long time for some serious lemming, I think that’s a sign that you need to get the palm spring!

Occasionally I still buy contemporary brand bags for fun colors/style, eg I got a gold metallic Coach over Christmas, and an Aqua LC 3D hobo bag recently. I also admit that sometimes I buy contemporary brand when I got the ‘itch’ to get something, eg a trip is coming, feel like I want to reward myself, but it is not exactly a big occasion. However, I tried to avoid buying a style/color that I eventually want to buy in premier brand, eg I avoided red as red is classic for me.

I've been going back and forth.
For some time, I was all about premiere when they were releasing everything that was my style.
Now the premiere ones aren't and the contemporary brands are. I also like to go to contemporary brands to try out a style I'm not so sure if I can use often.

I like both contemporary and premiere. Although, I had been carrying my LV's a lot lately, but I still keep my 4 remaining COACH purses around since they have the silhouettes that I love. Also, they fulfill a role that my LV bags can't (i.e. if I want to go low key for a job interview).

Maaaaaaybe at some point I'll only have premiere designer bags, but I want to keep my bag collection very small...

The majority of my small collection is contemporary. I have: Coach 1941 (2 Rogues), Michael Kors (1 Jet Set Zip Top tote, 2 cross body bags, Marc Jacobs (1 Nomad Recruit crossbody), and my LV Eva. There are a couple higher end bags that I'd love to sport (LV Pochette Metis and Neo Noe in multiple colors) but I'm not in a place where I'd be happy spending that much on a bag just yet. We're taking an amazing trip to Europe in a couple weeks and planning to start our family, so putting money towards those things means more to me than having a premier bag right now. I also feel more comfortable traveling/doing excursions with less expensive bags, because I feel like less of a target for pick pockets and if something were to get damaged, it's not as heart breaking because I didn't spend as much. I'm able to afford the contemporary bags without sacrificing other wants, and they're beautiful, well made bags that meet my needs. These are my most recent 3. I bought the MK and MJ specifically to take to Europe. The MK just looks like such a travel bag to me and I doubt I'll use it for much else, but I've already carried the MJ over the weekend when I wanted a lightweight purse to take shopping.

IMG_7983.jpg

I agree! Not only do i buy "fun factor" bags from contemporary brands, i also alter them to my own liking! I don't feel scared permanently altering these bags.
Example, my Coach bag I altered. I made it more girly and put a whole bunch of feet for a design effect. I put a flower where Coach logo used to be, and i cut off 2 long handles and put one shorter handle also. I usually put a long crossbody strap for practicality. And i have a really fun bag with a personality!:biggrin:

Fun! How do you add feet? Where’s the crossbody strap from? I just bought a leather guitar strap with lots of rivets to try to stylize similarly to the Fendi ribbon strap you. I’ve bought many expensive bags, including a Kelly but cannot seem to bring myself to spend $1,500 on a strap.

I realized within the last few years I would rather have 1 luxury bag per year than 3 contemporary bags, so yes, I have stopped buying contemporary bags. The ones I already had I let my sister take since I would rather carry my premier designer bags at this point. This also helped me cut down on the impulse bag purchases since I can no longer say to myself “oh no big deal, the bag is only $300” or whatever. Now I plan my purchases for a good year in advance. It forces me to really think about what my collection needs.

I’m pretty young, in my early 20s, and I realized that I could be spending my money on other things. I bought two premier bags and now I’m getting a little bored of it! I’ve become a lot more realistic about my budget and capped it at ~$500, and I also got overloaded with IG and YouTube and everyone throwing the same bags at your face as a “must-have.” Now I’d prefer to buy quality bags at a lower price range, and without any logos :smile: But my taste and budget could change at any time, so this is just where I am now! So basically, I started in contemporary, dipped my toes into premier, and now am scaling back and trying to find unique deals that I love and aren't impulse buys.

Yes! I cannot remember the last time I have ever bought a contemporary bag. I just don’t get the same satisfaction as when buying a designer bag. I recently went to Kate spade to buy o phone case and not even 2 weeks after, the sides started peeling off. Granted that I use it everyday but still I get disappointed with the quality versus a premier brand. Also I mainly buy designer bags and SLGs. I still buy contemporary shoes and only own 2 Valentino Rockstuds which I wear only on special occasions. And like what others said whatever makes you happy I guess it doesn’t really matter.

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum

Fun! How do you add feet? Where’s the crossbody strap from? I just bought a leather guitar strap with lots of rivets to try to stylize similarly to the Fendi ribbon strap you. I’ve bought many expensive bags, including a Kelly but cannot seem to bring myself to spend $1,500 on a strap.
Thank you! I used a sharp awl, lots of elbow grease, and determination! Most people say measure twice and cut once! I'm the type that just jump right in and then hope it all works out! :shocked: Oh and the strap is Marc Jacobs. AND wow! Kelly is my HG bag!

I have both premier (H, LV, Chloè, Mulberry) and contemporary (Travelon, Liebeskind, Mandarina Duck, MK), and am an equal-opportunity user. Price or brand are not the decisive factor, but practicality, the occasion at any given time, and personal safety.

I have no qualms about going to work or a theatre with a H or LV. But I´d be more or less painting a target on my forehead if I chose for travel a premier brand instead of a trusty, anti-theft Travelon, or an inconspicuous Liebeskind.

I’d have to say yes. I always enjoyed and bought good-quality bags before, but I pretty much only buy luxury bags now. It wasn’t always that way, though. I’d always lusted after designer bags- my first designer bag was a gift for my sweet 16 bday, a Gucci - I just couldn’t afford them and couldn’t justify the price with things like, oh, paying rent, eating out with friends, buying an outfit I needed, etc. After my Gucci, I don’t think I bought another high-end luxury bag until I could actually afford one, many, many years later! And even at that time I still said to myself, well, what are you waiting for? Now I buy them and thoroughly enjoy them. I really don’t need any more bags, I just love a beautiful handbag!