Hermes Special Order Bags

Since this thread is now huge and the internal links to frequently asked questions no longer work, here is a brief FAQ for newcomers to the Hermes Special Order process.

What are the current choices for "a la carte" Special Order bags?
Current color charts Page 1420 Post 21,296 February 7, 2024
Most Recently Known Selection Definitions (bag types, sizes, combos) Sept 4, 2021
Thread Choices for stitching.
Lucky Symbols for stamping.

What is an Hermes Special Order?
Each year Hermes gives select clients the opportunity to customize a classic bag in a made-to-order a la carte process. This thread is only for bag A La Carte orders (please use the separate threads for watch SOs and shoe SOs). "A la carte", "SO" (special order), and "HSS" (horse shoe stamp) are used interchangeably on this forum.

When is the Special Order season?
Currently, there is one SO season each calendar year, opening around the beginning of February and closing when slots run out or the end of December, whichever occurs first. New SO menus are typically leaked in February and remain constant until the following calendar year. Individual stores have complete discretion on when, within this window, they offer SO appointments to their clients.

Which specs can I customize?
Hermes defines which specs can be customized and these specs can change each SO season. Generally these specs include: leather type, leather color, and hardware color. At your SO appointment, your SA will present you will the limited menu of choices including bag types and sizes (Birkin 25, Kelly 28, etc), pre-set combination designs (line, verso, multico, etc), leather choices, leather colors, hardwares, and a map for which options can be selected for which bag type and size. Not all leathers and hardwares are allowed for all bag types and sizes.

Can I make physical changes to a bag definition during SO?
Sometimes clients would like to change a physical aspect of a bag, like increase the handle drop or add a pocket or a strap. Unfortunately, Hermes does not allow any type of alteration to the bag definition during SO. For extensive changes like these, a client would need to pursue a “Horizon order” which can be read about here.

How long will my SO take?
There is no way to predict how long a SO will take from placing the order to receipt of the finished product. Although Hermes has recently put forward efforts to fulfill a la carte orders within a year, it isn’t uncommon for bags to arrive in just a few months or also much longer than the year estimate.

Can my SA give me status my existing SO?
Unfortunately, the info that can be seen by SAs at the local store is very limited. They can generally see if the order is still outstanding (ie hasn’t been cancelled) but do not get status updates beyond that. Some stores will update clients when they get notice that a bag has been shipped from Paris but other stores wait until the bag is physically in store before alerting the client.

Do I need to place a deposit for SO?
In most regions of the world, a deposit is not required for SOs. However, some Asian and Middle Eastern locations do seem to request at least a partial deposit. Deposits may also be required in other regions if the SO selections are very personalized (ie if you have your personal initials hot stamped onto the bag) such that selling the bag to a different client, if the original client declines the bag, would be difficult.

Do I receive confirmation of my SO after placing my order?
In most regions of the world, the client gives their specifications to their SA and that is the last they hear about it until the bag arrives. Paris stores seem to be an exception to this and send the client a confirmation email within a few weeks of placing the order.

Is there a premium for a SO bag?
No, there is no premium price for SO bags. Their price is the same as any other standard stock bag of the same specifications at the time of delivery.

Is my SO a quota bag?
SO bags are generally counted toward a client’s two-bags-per-year limit at the time that the bag is received and paid for. If a client has already maxed out their quota bag allocation for the year, some stores will allow an exception to purchase your SO as a third bag for the year while other stores will require the customer to wait until a new calendar year before receiving the bag. These policies are subject to be changed per store at their convenience so it is always wise to check with your specific SA.

Where can I get ideas for my SO bag?
This thread shows unique combination bags and this thread shows contrasting stitching bags. Please consider posting your bag there once it arrives!

Where can I see historical SO menus?
2023 on post 19,874 page 1325 Feb 3, 2023
2022 on post 17,729 page 1182 Sept 13, 2021
2021 on post 15,439 page 1030 Aug 16, 2020
2020 on post 13,222 page 882 Aug 8, 2019
2019 on post 10,472 page 699 Sept 10, 2018
2018 on post 7,687 page 513 Sept 15, 2017
2017 on post 4,749 page 317 Sept 26, 2016

So what happens if you place an SO and it takes 2+ years to arrive? You won’t be able to get any quota bags during that time?! That is crazy.... :annoyed:

That’s what I asked. Both my mom and I have our quotas full because of SO’s. And one of mine was done April 2017. And another this October so I can’t get a bag. My mom did a SO, with my help hehe just now and we got a bag so she is also done with quota. I was told if my SO from April 2017 takes long then H can make an ‘exception’. Whatever that means. ‍♀️ This is becoming not very fun.

Reactions: MsHermesAU
As strange as this may sound, Some SAs don’t know the SO rules. Quota / no quota? This semester / that semester? They just don’t know like us! Sometimes you should ask they clarify with the SM. The SM makes the decision on cases where there is only one month left in a semester and your so arrives. Hold / don’t hold... or sell now? My last SO, my sa didn’t know if she could sell it to me bc I bought a Kelly in the same semester ... it arrived before the SO arrived. She actuallly thought I can’t come collect my SO! She was wrong :smile: picked it up in December before new semester started!!! Good call SM hahahah was able to score another Birkin that March and a Kelly in July!!!

Last edited:
hello all, just got the news today that I have an invitation to place a SO " a la carte" service, YAY . I am so excited

Would you be able to suggest a good website (besides tpf, of course) or specific thread to get inspiration? I am likely going to stay neutral , considering a B/K in same colour but ultilising a variety of leather types!

note: this is my first SO :biggrin:

How exciting!!!! Unfortunately, you cannot mix leather types in an SO. Hermes might produce special collection bags with mixed typed but this is not allowed for SO. Interior leather is traditional chèvre lining (but I think maybe someone tried to get togo interior here on TPF, not certain if they were successful). Exterior is single leather type.

Have fun with the process! Congrats!

Reactions: azukitea
How exciting!!!! Unfortunately, you cannot mix leather types in an SO. Hermes might produce special collection bags with mixed typed but this is not allowed for SO. Interior leather is traditional chèvre lining (but I think maybe someone tried to get togo interior here on TPF, not certain if they were successful). Exterior is single leather type.

Have fun with the process! Congrats!

I was told my K32 Togo sellier would have Togo interior (I originally ordered chevre with chevre interior and Paris changed to Togo), but it arrived with chèvre interior. Even the SA at George V told me via email (after the bag arrived and she inspected it) that the interior was Togo. She sent me a photo of what was clearly a chevre lining.....and yep when it arrived it was chevre....just in case anyone thinks Parisians SAs know all....both my original SA with whom I placed the order AND the new SA from whom I picked it up were wrong.

To this date as far as I know only Swift SOs sometimes come with Swift interior...maybebbecause Swift is so soft? My Swift TB has a Swift lining. but that is just what I know from my and friends' experience. YMMV.

I was told my K32 Togo sellier would have Togo interior (I originally ordered chevre with chevre interior and Paris changed to Togo), but it arrived with chèvre interior. Even the SA at George V told me via email (after the bag arrived and she inspected it) that the interior was Togo. She sent me a photo of what was clearly a chevre lining.....and yep when it arrived it was chevre....just in case anyone thinks Parisians SAs know all....both my original SA with whom I placed the order AND the new SA from whom I picked it up were wrong.

To this date as far as I know only Swift SOs sometimes come with Swift interior...maybebbecause Swift is so soft? My Swift TB has a Swift lining. but that is just what I know from my and friends' experience. YMMV.
Yes, swift with swift interior. I
Totally forgot about swift as I stick with Togo and chèvre for my SOs. Thanks for pointing that out. As always with H, YMMV.

I didn't think so, but when I just picked up my SO, they said I wouldn't be eligible for another B or K until July 1. But my store also doesn't allow for any bag to be an SO, and other weird anomalies to what I read here, so it could just be the smaller stores having these rules.
Thanks dear. This is a bit annoying as I suspect my SO is coming either before or after mid year. Your store is not FSH tho?

Hello my dears, has anyone else been hit with this very interesting "new" restriction? This particular note is regarding an SO in London:

Please pick up your A La Carte order within 14 days, or it will be released into general stock.

I have to say I'm trying to understand the rationale here. H has many international customers with busy lives, who may not be able to drop everything and get home or to another country within 14 days.
Also, how does this work with the quota system? I've never had a quota enforced but I have heard of tPFers having to wait til July 1 to pick up a special order because of a purchase early in the year.
This makes something that should be special rather stressful and un-fun.
Wow I am very surprised. My SO is waiting in FSH and has been ready since the end of Feb. I received the standard email which says the bag will be put on the floor only if they do not hear from me within a month. "Instructions from me" have never meant pick up or payment and I confirmed this again in my reply.

Oh interesting, so you are being held to quota with an outstanding SO?! That's terrible. That's not happening to me at my US store (yet) - I am waiting on a special order there but have bought bags since.
In all honesty I think with the H games, they need to ease up a bit on good customers.

Interesting. No restrictions at my US store that I know of.

Wow I am very surprised. My SO is waiting in FSH and has been ready since the end of Feb. I received the standard email which says the bag will be put on the floor only if they do not hear from me within a month. "Instructions from me" have never meant pick up or payment and I confirmed this again in my reply.
Yep - the above is normal procedure. My last SO came in right as I was leaving Europe and I picked it up 2 or 3 months later. This 14-day pickup thing is shocking to me.

Congrats on your first SO offer! Please read this useful post from @periogirl28. There's a special combo bags thread in the Reference section that you might find helpful. You can find current colors here and lining here. There are various versions (single color and bicolor) available for Birkin and Kelly. (See image below for the different styles and versions available for order in bicolor). Please note that there's no mixing of leathers allowed.
View attachment 4037574
thanks @weN84 for directing me here! I will have a look, i am excited and yet a bit nervous at the same time for this being my first SO , pressure to get it right :biggrin:

Reactions: Meta
thanks @weN84 for directing me here! I will have a look, i am excited and yet a bit nervous at the same time for this being my first SO , pressure to get it right :biggrin:

Oh, don’t feel pressure to “get it right”. You really can’t do it “incorrectly”. This should be a fun exhilarating experience so take a deep breath, relax, and enjoy!

For me, I think the biggest potential obstacle is asking the opinion of too many people. Everyone typically has an opinion to share and too many cooks in the kitchen, so to speak, causes chaos, confusion, and self-doubt. (Very similar to letting people know in advance of the child’s birth what name you’ve selected for your baby, in my experience!)