"Made in the USA" Why do pfers not like this?

Aug 25, 2006
I've been an LV fan since about 2002 and I've had many bags LE and others. Anyway, I've read a couple of times on here that made in the usa bags aren't as favored. I was just wondering why this is? I've had a few made in the usa bags mostly from elux and loved them, so please clarify. I'm assuming it would be QC reasons, but just don't understand.

In general, I don't believe that it's a quality issue. All LV factories operate by very strict QC guidelines. I've owned USA made LV and the quality is just as good as bags made in France or Spain. Some have said that the vachetta leather can patina differently depending on where it's made. I have witnessed that phenomenon personally. However, psychologically, one may prefer French or Spanish made bags because of the allure of European luxury. I mean, if you're going to spend $1000 on a French designer purse, shouldn't it be made in France? But if that doesn't bother you, then more power to you! You'll have more style options to choose from.

It's nothing to do with quality!
It's just i think that some people like to have their bag or item from Louis Vuitton made in Paris because It's the birth place so it's just nice to know thats where it's from i guess! it's not a huge issue :yes:

.... I mean, if you're going to spend $1000 on a French designer purse, shouldn't it be made in France?

^^my thoughts, exactly!

I prefer all my LVs to be made in France because it is after all, a french brand that was started by french artisans in France, with the secrets and skills of the craftsmen and luggage makers that have been passed on through generations.
The french people take considerable pride in their handmade goods. Besides, my born and bred Parisian DH would object !!!!

In general, I don't believe that it's a quality issue. All LV factories operate by very strict QC guidelines. I've owned USA made LV and the quality is just as good as bags made in France or Spain. Some have said that the vachetta leather can patina differently depending on where it's made. I have witnessed that phenomenon personally. However, psychologically, one may prefer French or Spanish made bags because of the allure of European luxury. I mean, if you're going to spend $1000 on a French designer purse, shouldn't it be made in France? But if that doesn't bother you, then more power to you! You'll have more style options to choose from.

How do they patina differently?

There's been several threads on this topic.

I personally don't care where my bag is made. I find the concern about where the bags are made pretty amusing. But everyone's entitled to their own preferences.

I personally don't have a preference. But I agree with much of what has been said in that I think people prefer to have a product made in the country where it was originated. Some believe that a french purse should be made in France, I think it is personal preference.

There's been several threads on this topic.

I personally don't care where my bag is made. I find the concern about where the bags are made pretty amusing. But everyone's entitled to their own preferences.

I did a search before posting, couldn't find the answers to my particular question. I personally like the idea of made in US for certain reasons and like the idea of made in france for the reasons mentioned above. I would be ok with either origin.

So do certain styles get made in France and the same style can come be made in the USA? My beverly GM from eluxury is made in the US.

What I've been told by SAs is when a new style is introduced, it is almost always made in France. Once the style is established and sales ramp up, they may start a manufacturing line in one of their Spanish and/or US factories. Nevertheless, styles are not usually factory specific, unless the volume of sales on that style remains low, then it may remain a French exclusive. Being in the US, if a style is manufactured in any of the US factories, we'll almost always get the US made bag vs the French or Spanish made.

How do they patina differently?

In my experience, my Spanish made bags patina slower (my vernis Thompson Street & mono Tango long strap are both several years old and still very light in color), whereas my US made purses have patina'd quicker (my mono Cabas Piano developed a full patina in less than 2 weeks!). French made purses have been somewhere in between, but do not patina nearly as fast as US made (mono Manhattan PM still rather light after a month of use). I can't explain why...could just be a coincidence. But it's very noticable.

In my experience, my Spanish made bags patina slower (my vernis Thompson Street & mono Tango long strap are both several years old and still very light in color), whereas my US made purses have patina'd quicker (my mono Cabas Piano developed a full patina in less than 2 weeks!). French made purses have been somewhere in between, but do not patina nearly as fast as US made (mono Manhattan PM still rather light after a month of use). I can't explain why...could just be a coincidence. But it's very noticable.

I have 2 speedys, both made in france, and I found that the Azur one patinas faster than the mono.

This is a timely topic for me. I am one of those crazy people that prefers for her bags to be made in France. So much so, I've held off on getting a bag until I came to Europe..which is where I am now. I've gotten lots of love from the tPFers over in the U.K. (http://forum.purseblog.com/louis-vuitton/john-paul-george-ringo-and-louis-123298.html). Anyway, I picked up my Speedy 25 a few days ago in Manchester because once I saw that "made in France," I couldn't leave without her. :yahoo:

My travel buddy, and fellow tPFer, Keesh70 thinks I am crazy. She teased me and said, "Wouldn't it be ironic if the Speedys in England say, "made in U.S.A."? That would be cruel irony...

I don't really care where my Vuitton is made. As long as it's real, that's all that matters to me.

Some people don't like made in USA Vuitton because they think it's "lesser quality" and doesn't have that European appeal that Made in France, Spain, or Germany has.