Best Crossbody Everyday versatile bag???? HELP!!!!

Jul 2, 2012
That is my quandary right now. I LOVE the Gucci Disco/Soho, but the strap is just a hair short feeling on its last hole, and punching another hole just seems....wrong! Love the Hermes Evelyn, and while I have a decidedly casual lifestyle, it is JUST a casual bag, and so dang expensive...and the cotton strap? IDK. So, that brings me to the Valentino Rockstud Flip-Lock Hobo bag, but in medium (discontinued...let me know if you see it anywhere), but the small is just too small and the drop is not long enough. I am 5'10" but like a LONG cross body that sits on my hips.

So. I don't know what to do.

Criteria.

A. I would love to find a cross body that could easily accommodate a 24-25" drop on the shoulder strap. (The tiny Stella McCartney Falabella does, but can't fit much in there!!).

B. Casual to more dressy lifestyle in one bag. (Gucci disco does this well!)

C. Neutral metal color (Rockstud) or no dominant metal (Gucci disco)

D. $2K and under (ish)

E. Upscale designer...not Coach/MK/Dooney and Burke/Rebecca whoever names.

Not sure if this feels too dressed for you, but I quite liked this new Ferragamo bag. Their site is getting a reno right now, but here is PB coverage. https://www.purseblog.com/ferragamo/salvatore-ferragamo-vara-rainbow-bags/

I checked it out in person and I am quite tempted!

I have a previous generation of the Sofia and it has a 21-22 inch drop and there are another 4-5 inches to spare. Mine is this size - it is a medium sized bag that holds tons. But there are some smaller sizes too.
http://www.neimanmarcus.com/Salvato...Leather-Satchel-Bag-Nero/prod192840048/p.prod

Not super luxury - but this might work for you too.
https://www.mansurgavriel.com/products/mini-mini-sun-bag-black/flamma

Proenza Schouler PS1 cross body bags have super long straps. They fit a lot for a small cross body but may not be sizable enough for your needs.

Another thought is the Balenciaga Town. Very long strap and holds a decent amount. I'm 5'5" and the adjustable strap allows it to hit very comfortably on my hip but it can go lower. At the lowest it hangs at my butt.

On the larger side (more like Hermes Evelyne GM) is the Balenciaga Velo. Wears on the hip like the Town but noticeably more roomy. Comfortable bag.

Proenza Schouler PS1 cross body bags have super long straps. They fit a lot for a small cross body but may not be sizable enough for your needs.

Another thought is the Balenciaga Town. Very long strap and holds a decent amount. I'm 5'5" and the adjustable strap allows it to hit very comfortably on my hip but it can go lower. At the lowest it hangs at my butt.

On the larger side (more like Hermes Evelyne GM) is the Balenciaga Velo. Wears on the hip like the Town but noticeably more roomy. Comfortable bag.
IMG_1513688101.765565.jpg

Second the Bal Town. I have this bag and feel like it could go casual or a bit dressy. Without the strap, it is even dressier due to the handles. It carries small but holds a ton! I got the silver giant hardware, so there is a lot of hardware, but it is sparkly and textured and dresses it up a bit.

In this category I have the Pochette Metis and Givenchy Pandora, both I loooveee! I’m eyeing the Gucci Disco and Balenciaga mini City next
1f60a.png

Reactions: kmc2s
I have the Balenciaga Velo. Is the size difference with the Town that big? I guess what I am trying to figure out is...do I need both? :biggrin:

Yes! :biggrin:

I can carry a lot so with the Town I really need to censor myself to keep from overstuffing. It does hold quite a bit but I prefer the less-than-full look. It's perfect when I need a small-medium bag. With the Velo, I don't even need to think about what I'm carrying, I just know it will all fit. There is some difference in width but the main difference feels like it comes from the height and especially the depth (see photos). Both bags are extremely comfortable and I think that has a lot to do with the length of the straps.

Here's a video that might help:

IMG_8043.JPG.JPG
IMG_8046.JPG.JPG

Back to the original topic, I have Givenchy Pandoras in small and large and adore them as much as my Bals. The reason I didn't mention them here is even though the straps are long enough to wear cross body, they just barely work. Definitely not low on the hip for me so I don't know if that would work for the OP. If a replacement strap was an option I would definitely consider a Pandora.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparkletastic
I might sound like a broken record, but my favorite crossbody is still my Mulberry Antony. It does have a canvas strap but it's so wide that it doesn't dig in and it's superbly comfy especially during summertime. It fits a ton and can easily be dressed up or down.
The Bal is gorgeous as well!

Reactions: minimom
Following since I’m looking for a great cross body as well for traveling. I’ll second or third the Bal Velo bag and it’s my go to, but I’m looking for something in a brown tone. Mulberry Antony might be a good option.