LV QUALITY CONTROL --- WHAT IS GOING ON??

Yesterday I went to the boutique and I could not believe my eyes when I saw this very used, probably heavily worn shawl on the shelf presented like a new and in sellable condition. I did not resist to take a picture of it. I was shocked! (And still I am.)

The shawls on shelf are not for sale. The always sell new ones, not tried ones. It's not a secret that the shawls are not very durable, they are very delicate (the normal Monogram ones). The ones on the shelf are tried so many times and get snatches and what you have showed us in the picture. Sad but true [emoji853] I own a special edition shawls, used it maybe six or seven times and it has pilling. Beautiful shawl, yes! Worth the money? I don't think so. The shines are more durable...

Well I am not into Chanel bags and I don't have a lot of love for other brands either. I do wonder if this means I should move on to Hermes - maybe they have better quality control there?

I bought a Constance 24 in Rose tyrien last December and the leather on the strap showed cracks just after light use for 2 hours with only my phone and zcp inside. So tell me, even the most so called highly impeccable brand has issues too.

My recent experience led me to believe that LV quality control has completely gone downhill. I think I have to take a break from this brand due to quality control issues and just madness from issues on bags.

I recently went through (August 2017 only):
- 3 defective bags (melting glaze on pochette metis mono and epi neverfull, favorite mm crease in flap)
- 1 year old slg (6 key holder) completely needs reglazing due to multiple cracks
- bought 1 pochette metis empreinte, returned because the embossing is not consistent
- bought another pochette metis empreinte, returned because the pattern is not in the center, and embossing is not consistent
- bought a pallas bb full noir, returned because there is a couple of stitches that punctured the canvas
- bought a popincourt pm navy, returned due to the strap has multiple loose stitches that will come off eventually
- bought an epi cardholder, returned again due to a loose stitch on the back
- bought a porte documment voyage, returned due to unevenly sewn canvas on both sides of the front (multiple puffs and uneven canvas on the front)
- ordered another porte documment voyage, and it arrived today - even worse canvas unevenness!
- want to buy a smart wallet for husband, and the only one in store has BROKEN GLAZING (with the white underneath showing). And they were selling it!
- another smart wallet arrived today, and the gap between the end of the zip to the canvas is abhorring. But at this point I start to think that they are all like this, and since husband did not mind, I think he is just gonna use it.
- bought a monogram eclipse brieftcase explorer for husband. The leather on the front has tiny cracks and a noticeable scratch. Hard to find bag and husband doesn't mind, so we are keeping it but I am not completely happy with it.

Not to mention what I have seen in the store lately:
- pochette metis empreinte: completely not stuffed and actually has the strap in the front pocket. The result? Very wrinkle leather especially at the front.
- Jersey tote: not stuffed properly, especially the corners. The result? Corners are all caved in.

I mean, WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THIS BRAND? I have not become picker over the year. My standards have always been the same: new items should have no wrinkle, no loose stitch, no punctured canvas, even canvas, and no obvious off-center pattern. I started collecting about 5 years ago. Only 5 years! And during the "early years" I never had to inspect so hard because everything I saw was pretty much perfect! Not to mention the vintage items I have collected over the years - simply impeccable. So again, WHAT IS HAPPENING?!

Are most of your defective items made in US. I find quite a bit worst conditions made in France as well

my thought is that machines are doing a majority of the sewing now to keep up with the increased demand for new styles. LV seems very fast fashion now with so many new styles released regularly. machinery contributes to manufacturing defects across all the models, which is why it's not just one model with complaints, but several.

The bolded ^^^ is absolutely producing the bad stitching, but the root cause is routine maintenance not being performed on the machines. If machines are not oiled, dust removed, tensions checked/adjusted and needles replaced frequently on high run machines, punctured material and bad (loose, crooked, skipped) stitching is inevitable. Additionally, incorrect/dull/damaged/high run needles and machine run speed contributes to poor stitching.
Having owned 2 industrial machines, 2 commercial embroidery machines and a series of other "stitching" equipment over many years I'm quite certain the majority of the stitching issues experienced are attributed to one or more of the above factors.
The fact that LV has historically machine produced their bags is irrelevant, what's apparent is some of the factories are not maintaining the machines properly. Undoubtedly machinery today is programmable, has increased functionality and "artificial intelligence", however I would not necessarily say they are better. Legacy equipment had/has steel parts, increased pressure/force/power (which supports better needle/thread penetration) and stronger motors and belts. Today's machinery is mostly plastic with a high concentration of electronics. I've had more outages with my "intelligent equipment" than with my 20-30 year equipment. The only challenge I have now is locating replacement parts and technicians with the skill sets to work on the legacy equipment. Ultimately, bad stitching still ties to poor or lack of quality control.

Last edited:
My neverfull had stitching problems too. Got it from Europe but didn't noticed it till I got back to Singapore... arghh

Live with it or change it? Do they change it locally if purchased from overseas?

IMG_1504350134.427868.jpg

IMG_1504350116.387992.jpg

So lets be real here – ALL designer bags have their share of quality issues whether Chanel, Hermes, Gucci. . .whatever. And ALL those designers have been through a period where stuff was just bad for a stretch. Honestly in my years of buying LV I have only had two issues with bags from LV and the problem was rectified immediately. Now I am not saying there are not problems because clearly there are but I also feel there is a false perception that a bag should be 100 percent perfect because we paid over a grand for it. Nothing absolutely nothing is perfect but we can ask for darn near perfect – I get that. I also know that the excitement of buying the bag takes over our senses to actually look over the bag before leaving the boutique. Now when ordering over the phone from a boutique unless you have an SA who really knows you and how you are when buying bags you are not going to get someone who actually tries to make sure the bag is darn near perfect for you. At the end of the day they are trying to make a sale and with them all on commission now believe me the sale is first and foremost. Ordering online yes there absolutely should be someone in a quality control type roll who is looking over the bag before shipping. Does this happen before something is shipped – maybe, maybe not. I have purchased online and in the boutique and have had a great experience with both. Will I generally buy a bag that has been on the shelf – NO. A bag that has sat in a drawer – sure if after I have looked over and it meets my standards. But honestly I have my SA order the bags I want to purchase from the warehouse and she will only let me know it is ready for pick up after she has looked it over. Then I look it over once I get to the boutique. Has there been a time when a bag arrived and my SA text me and says she is ordering another because I will not like the one that came – only twice. To give LV the benefit of the doubt some of the things are a little hard to detect upon first glance. Now bags for sure you need to make sure you inspect are the Neverfull and Speedy’s- these bags have been known to have something or the other wrong with them that one person or another may not like. These two bags there needs to be a few to look at to choose from. That has been that way for quite some years now and I believe that is due to the amount of them that are made. Yes do machine play a part – absolutely. When I hear someone state the bags are hand made I want to laugh because that is not true any longer. No possible way would LV be able to keep up with the demand if all of them were hand made and stitched. Now are there bags that are just prone to issues – sure but that’s when you do your research before buying and decide whether you want to take the chance or not. Some bags wear differently from others and not all of them are meant for daily heavy use. For instance I have a Pouchette Metis – have had it going on the third year and it is just fine (looks great actually) – where others have had problems. Am I saying I won’t have a problem – I do not know the answer to that but will cross that bridge when and if it happens. This was a bag that has had issues and I decided to take that chance. Also these bags are not indestructible just because you paid thousands none of them are and there will be wear just like anything else. You have to take care of them properly.

So with all that been said I think we need to be our own quality control. If a bag does not meet your standards return for a new one or choose something else or yes a different brand. Asking everyone else’s opinion on whether you should return something or not is useless – if the bag does not fit your standards of darn near perfection then it is what it is – no one else’s opinion is going to change that – right? Same goes for asking is this normal – what may be normal for someone else may not be normal for me. Only your opinion really matters at the end of the day. So does LV need to step it up sure maybe but I think we as buyers need to as well. . .
Very well said and WELCOME BACK CornishMon :smile:

My neverfull had stitching problems too. Got it from Europe but didn't noticed it till I got back to Singapore... arghh

Live with it or change it? Do they change it locally if purchased from overseas?

View attachment 3812613

View attachment 3812612
I was told by QC assessor in store that the stitch tension on their machines is meticulously checked so that they are the same and constant. Because the idea behind that is that if they were to remove the whole stitching it would come out easier without damaging the leather. But looking at the stitches on your NF that is probably what's happened the stitching tension is wrong probably too tight causing the pulling and stitch holes to be more stretched and enlarged than it should be. If the machine was set wrong or not checked then there must be a whole load of bags that this machine stitched that potentially have stitching faults like this.
I would definately try and return this bag. It just looks like sloppy workmanship even though the stitching isn't visable because it's in the inside. Just because it is a LV authentic doesn't excuse them so that they can make it look like it's made by counterfeiters.

Before I started buying luxury bags I bought Kors, Fossil, lesportsac, etc...Nothing has cracked, or peeled or fallen apart. They're just collecting dust, sitting empty, no stuffing no dust covers. They look the same as when I first bought them. They're crappy bags but kind of indestructible. So why is it LV bags that cost well over a grand are falling apart and not made that well to begin with? I think they're getting away with making their bags as cheaply as possible to maximize profits. Until we stop buying and demanding better nothing will change.

Well said! As long as people demand the product, they will continue to speed production.

Hi all, i have experienced lessen quality of my items aswell.
I got my world tour neverfull and this is the way the stitching is at the top. It nearly hits the canvas, an SA told me this was normal as it is handmade, should I go to another SA or manager or am I being to picky? The problem with this bag is that it is personalized so it can't be exchanged easily...
IMG_5364.JPG

With my reverse PM the hardware is changing color after having it for 3 weeks, it only happened on one of the hooks and the SA called it normal wear and tear. I heard of others having the same problem and getting their strap replaced. My reverse metis also has really fine scratches on the top flap (it looks like a sharp knife cut into it) which will according to the SA eventually expand or peel and then cause the bag to show a true defect. And only when this happens I can come to get a replacement. Until then I just have to wait until it gets more visible which annoys me as I want to keep al my bags in the best condition possible.

My second PM in marine rouge has been in repairs for 7 weeks (I got it at the end of june and after two weeks I sent it in for repairs) because of different colors of the red glazing... My SA told me it should have been shipped three weeks ago and for now the status still shows that my bag is in the repairs facility in France.