Home & Garden Love or hate your washer/dryer?

Swanky

Admin
Admin
O.G.
Jan 12, 2006
My Whirlpool Duets have been amazing, no service in 13 years but my dryer smelled like smoke Fri so I think it's time for new.

Any advice?

I asked the repair guy, that looked at my dryer, his opinion having worked on different brands. He said don't touch Samsung or Electrolux. He likes LG and really likes Bosch, he said Whirlpool and Ge are always dependable. I'm having a hard time not just buying what lasted me more than a decade last time!

My husband used to work for Samsung and wouldn't recommend theirs. He was pleasantly surprised by LG though. We personally still use our old Whirlpool washer and GE dryer. It's so true when they say they don't make them like they used to!

Yup whirlpool is definitely the best! My brother got a brand new Samsung washer and dryer set back in 2014 and it has been giving them non-stop problems ever since, then soon they found out that it is recalled. Definitely don't recommend Samsung anymore after seeing that LOL!!

I asked the repair guy, that looked at my dryer, his opinion having worked on different brands. He said don't touch Samsung or Electrolux. He likes LG and really likes Bosch, he said Whirlpool and Ge are always dependable. I'm having a hard time not just buying what lasted me more than a decade last time!

I'd say go with a whirlpool again. I've had a whirlpool set since 2004! Still works amazing!

My Whirlpool Duets have been amazing, no service in 13 years but my dryer smelled like smoke Fri so I think it's time for new.

Any advice?
In the same boat as you. We have Maytags that are 12 years old, the washers transmission is starting to go now.

Can't complain about ours, may look into some front loaders. Dh wants a countertop in the laundry room.

Heard the same about Samsung. A lot of people swear by speed queen. They only make washers/dryers and mostly commercial units. They are very plain and basic but are supposed to last 25 years.

I have been looking at some whirlpool and Maytag units. This one Maytag is the newest version of thr number one by consumer reports. I know it shouldn't be 100 percent of a decision, but something to consider. They are very reasonably priced.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Maytag-4...015221_slid_&gclid=CPL09abki9QCFdWEswodJzkJtQ

we have an old whirlpool dryer that won't quit and a newer Maytag washer - top loading - that's been in use for maybe five years. I don't feel the need to have a front loading machine. The only complaint I have about the Maytag is the gentle cycle doesn't seem that gentle. But it hasn't hurt my clothes that I can tell.

My husband used to work for Samsung and wouldn't recommend theirs. He was pleasantly surprised by LG though. We personally still use our old Whirlpool washer and GE dryer. It's so true when they say they don't make them like they used to!

I was just about to post the opposite! We had nonstop problems with our LG. It ruined so many clothes, towels, and sheets. My Samsung has been a dream. There was an issue with the tops coming off and people getting injured (recall) and I was so afraid that they were going to take it away. They just installed a clip inside. LOVE the Samsung. Instead of hand washing in the basin, I put everything (including dry cleaning items) in the delicate cycle on the Samsung.

Reactions: Designerbagcarrier
I HATE my washing machine with a passion. It's a fancy top-loading LG with no agitator and it doesn't clean for s*it. It's the worst and has been the worst since day one.

When I finally decide to bite the bullet I'm going for a Speed Queen. I've heard nothing but raves about them. Less bells and whistles but apparently work super well and are rock solid.

I have a friend who owns lots of rental properties who swears by Fisher and Paykel machines. He won't get anything else.

Reactions: uhpharm01
Love our top loading Speed Queen!
Hated our Maytag and Lg fancy front loading washer sets. Never again will I get a front loader.
Below pic was my LG front loader, clothes always smelled awful, photo of washer after ripping out the seal that I couldn't get to to clean:

IMG_2403.JPG
*disclaimer-I've heard newer model front loader a have 'remedied' this issue on current models per Home Depot employee.

Reactions: boxermom
11 years ago I bought Kenmore high end front loader washer and dryer with electronic controls. Never again. The gasket was virtually uncleanable and if the door wasn't open between washes it would stink. Within a year the electronics went out on the dryer-thank goodness warranty was still in effect. The timers are wildly inaccurate. When they die I'm going back to a top loader, hoping for manual controls, no expensive digital stuff to break.

Reactions: miss_chiff
Yup whirlpool is definitely the best! My brother got a brand new Samsung washer and dryer set back in 2014 and it has been giving them non-stop problems ever since, then soon they found out that it is recalled. Definitely don't recommend Samsung anymore after seeing that LOL!!

I'd say go with a whirlpool again. I've had a whirlpool set since 2004! Still works amazing!
SAmsung Washers were exploding for some people. That was just terrible.
https://www.consumerreports.org/washing-machines/some-samsung-washers-may-pose-safety-risk/