Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2017 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Living vicariously through you ladies. Had a major financial emergency and it wiped my Nordstrom wishlist to dust. I'm heartbroken because I've had a really rough year and just wanted to treat myself a little, but everything happens for a reason I guess. Enjoy the rest of the sale ladies and I hope you get all on your list.-XOXO
Hugs to you!

Living vicariously through you ladies. Had a major financial emergency and it wiped my Nordstrom wishlist to dust. I'm heartbroken because I've had a really rough year and just wanted to treat myself a little, but everything happens for a reason I guess. Enjoy the rest of the sale ladies and I hope you get all on your list.-XOXO

Aww man, really sorry to hear that. Your purchase mentions were really helpful last year. Hope everything is okay now.

Ten Things I Wish I Could Tell the Nordstrom Buying Team As Another Anniversary Sale Is Underway

1. Too much trend; not enough classic- help women build a year-round wardrobe by offering good quality lighter wool gabardine separates in a variety of solid colors - navy, black, grey, camel, hunter, burgundy- and offer new coordinating pieces at each AS. Each year design silk blouses with 3-4 of the gabardine colors in a pattern that can be worn with all the separates.

2. Accessories are the key- the assortment of scarves has *really* gone downhill.Each year there should be a fabulous "it" scarf in at least three color-ways of luxurious silk or wool or silk/wool/cashmere. This should be a $300 scarf that has everyone drooling. Why not offer one or two really fabulous and unique French scarves (online only), such as from Wolff et Descourtis? Or what about teaming up with Diwali to bring in their cheap and cheerful wool and silk scarves?

3. Same comment as #2 but as applied to a wrap or poncho. What happened to the beautiful tissue thin pashminas for travel? Offer a fabulous exclusive Max Mara or St. John or Lori Piana cashmere poncho.

4. Fashion jewelry at Nordstrom has become a fashion bust. There should be offerings of statement necklaces, both chunky and skinny bracelets, daytime gold and silver tone earrings, a terrific must-have brooch (think Chanel eye knockoff). This year crushed velvet is everywhere- but there are virtually no offerings incorporating this theme in fashion jewelry. Offer an exclusive Barrera or Ben-Amun or Ciner piece- one just for each Anniversary Sale that women can collect year after year. Work with overseas fashion jewelry companies (for example, Cécile et Jeanne or even something special and upscale like Madame et Son Bouledogue) and have limited edition special offerings.

5. Fine jewelry- offer BL custom design with delivery 4-6 weeks after the AS. Trunk shows are nice- custom design is nicer. Rumor has it this is the last year for the skinny bangle during the AS- huge mistake. Where are pearls? Why not an exclusive Yurman piece for the AS?

6. Handbags have become a snore- where are the lush, fabulous Chloe bags, or Burberry, 3.1 Philip Lim, or Alexander Wang for AS? The year's offerings are really sub-par. No exciting wallets. Saw no real daytime portfolios or evening clutches. Where's the fabulous buttery leather? Up the game by mixing up the brands (Jerome Dreyfuss, Céline, etc.). The Le Pliage expandable tote is great, but why not tie in to the Longchamp custom Pliage option? Speaking of snore, Nordstrom seems tired- gone are the excitement and beautiful decorations. The stores need sprucing up to create a visual experience.

7. Beauty- this department should be "points plus"- you get the normal reward points but also have a card that keeps track of beauty purchases. When you spend $2k (for example) give the customer a fabulous gift like a Dyson hairdryer or a La Mer gift set. And then start a contest called "The Find" where customers (who really do travel the world) turn Nordstrom on to unique beauty products they discover overseas. Choose five winners and shower them with gifts or give away a trip. For the AS offer custom engraving of lipstick tubes/compacts or a fabulous powder "pouf" (think Caron Paris swan down powder puff).

8. Import a custom Kusmi tea and a custom Ladurée macaroon and set up stands in the larger stores (home dept??) selling these just during the sale weeks, Valentine's Day and Xmas. Or really do something special and bring in Angelina hot chocolate mix and Jacques Genin caramels. Speaking of the home department, let customers design a day planner with choice of Kate Spade covers and customized inserts (customer gets a checklist of options-- day per page, or week per two pages, address book option, to do list options, etc). Nordstrom builds the day planner based on what's checked and customer can pick it up within a week.

9. Keep customers in the store and shopping by offering them a free lunch in the cafe with a $500 total in same day store purchases. Why let people leave the store for lunch when they can eat and then shop some more? Or offer them a coffee and cake break.

10. Shoes- offer a storage solution (team up with the Container Store or California Closets) so women don't have to worry about where to put those 5-10 new pair of shoes they buy during the AS. Are there shoes only available on-line? Keep a sample in the stores so customers can see them in person and then order while in the store. For shoes over $300 offer a certificate for a free resoling/ shoe repair.

My two cents- not worth even that. :smile:
Omigosh- you are a retail goddess in my book! Oh please let the powers that be hear your siren song!

Oh sorry to hear this- obviously you have a good sense of priorities. Always next year- it's only stuff!

I'm sorry to hear this. I never commented last year, but I read all the posts, and I remember your search for the pink BFD cardigan. I loved reading about your purchases and feeling your excitement. Sending you comfort and I hope your year only gets better and happier.

I think the UPS guys will be very busy in the coming days as all of our orders start arriving! I have been super busy. Even the items I bought at the pre-sale shopping day on Wednesday haven't been decided on and put away. I've ordered more things and am unsure about some sizes so I've just put it all in our front closet for now and will probably wait and make final decisions once most my orders have arrived.
I have the items I have received and purchased in store folded neatly in a box waiting for a decision. I did start a bag this morning for returns.

Reactions: mrsbagalot1222
What a disaster! I used to have such a positive experience with Personal Shoppers years ago when I lived in Salt Lake City and shopped at the downtown Nordstrom, but since moving to the Bay Area I've been really disappointed in all my PS experiences. They don't listen, they don't follow up, and they pick really age-inappropriate clothes which they then try to convince me look "suuuuuper cuuuuuute." (ugh.)
I don't know if all retail has gone downhill or just Nordstrom, but in-store shopping just doesn't seem to be the way it used to be. Or maybe I'm getting old and grumpy? :whut:

Funnily enough I'm in the Bay Area! Maybe it's just this part of the country then.
I know exactly what you mean by the "suuuuuuuper cuuuuute" [emoji23]

After the bad experience I took a walk and then decided to salvage the day and just shop by myself. I found amazing salon pumps in my size (yay!).

And then I actually ran into an SA who had helped me with makeup about 18 months ago but now works in clothing! But she recognized me and I told her about my ****ty experience. She was an absolute rockstar!! She pulled together a room for me and was able to find me a Halogen suit (in my size! so much for that), couple of dresses, and tops and pants.
She even found me a better pair of statement pumps and I got the splurge I was looking for!

So in the end it worked out but kudos to her for turning it around and not leaving an unhappy customer. Also boo to the stylist who told me there weren't any picks in my size in my price range!

I've been such a big fan of the personal stylist service and always recommended it. Not anymore. From now on I will recommend specific SAs but Nordies lost me as an advocate today.

Status
Not open for further replies.