Hermes Cafe Bon Temps~Good Times Cafe

Raul Julia! Maybe he was in the stage version at the Kennedy Center and not Frank Langella. The name sounds so familiar.
I seem to recall that George Hamilton was a Dracula, too, in an appropriately kitschy way. I'd like to see that Dracula again for sure.
epistolary -- telling a story in letters? Wow, didn't know the meaning of that one.
Good to see you back, Pirula!

Thanks eagle!

Don't know if he traveled in the role. I know he replaced Langella on Broadway around 78. I was just a kid.

Haha! George Hamilton was in Love at First Bite! Which was very funny in a 70s disco way! "Children of the night!....shut up." [emoji23]

Or my favorite: "With you, never a quickie. Always a longie."

Didn't notice your answer until after I responded to Mindi. In that response I wrote about the Gary Oldman version, just couldn't remember who was the lead.
Was it "Interview with the Vampire" that had Tom Cruise & Brad Pitt? I could see Cruise being a vampire but Brad Pitt? Hmmm. He's too 12 Monkeys for me, with nervous, erratic gestures. (Which is to say he was good in that movie).
I've noted your reading recommendations, tabbi, particularly the Salem's Lot. I don't read much fiction now but will after I retire. The thing about fiction is that it's so hard to put down when it's good that I get nothing else done.
Yup Interview is the one with Tom Cruise. It was a good adaptation of the book.
I really enjoyed reading vampire-themed books especially when I was younger. I used to buy whatever fiction I could find that had something to do with vampires, only to find out in the end that they were all... erm... not so good. I went through a phase of picking up Chelsea Quinn-Yarbro, Laurell Hamilton... hahaha I only laugh now when I remember those days. But as an adult, I find it very hard to find a decent vampire novel worthy of an adult reader... is it because the theme itself screams teenager? Haha I don't know. I am always in the market for a good vampire novel. So if anyone wants to suggest a good one, please go ahead

Reactions: prepster
Yup Interview is the one with Tom Cruise. It was a good adaptation of the book.
I really enjoyed reading vampire-themed books especially when I was younger. I used to buy whatever fiction I could find that had something to do with vampires, only to find out in the end that they were all... erm... not so good. I went through a phase of picking up Chelsea Quinn-Yarbro, Laurell Hamilton... hahaha I only laugh now when I remember those days. But as an adult, I find it very hard to find a decent vampire novel worthy of an adult reader... is it because the theme itself screams teenager? Haha I don't know. I am always in the market for a good vampire novel. So if anyone wants to suggest a good one, please go ahead

As luck would have it, I'm currently reading The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. Slightly less than halfway through and am enjoying it so far. See what you think.

IMG_4554.JPG

I was just looking for a pair of neoprene sandals, minding my own business and I saw this fab dress on dkny. I have a question for the seamstresses out there. This dress would be too long for me, but it has a full length back visible zipper. The zipper goes to the very edge of the hem. How hard would it be for a seamstress to take out the zipper, hem the dress and put in a shorter zipper? Is that a huge project?

BTW, someone seriously needs to buy this dress. It is absurdly inexpensive and with the dense knitted fabric and nipped silhouette it would make the wearer look positively svelte. It looks like a Dior Bar jacket in dress form. With black tights and boots--wow. Dress up, dress down...and it is the perfect foil for H scarves in any knot one wanted to tie. I am so tempted but am worried I will have an alterations disaster. :sad:

Here's the back. Thoughts? I'm not normally a fan of the visible zipper thing, but this is very appropriate to the dress and is well done. I think that strong vertical line would also be very slimming and elongating. They actually do make this same shape in a tunic with short sleeves (how cool is that?!). But I want long. Aargh. Do you think I could take out the zipper entirely or would it be impossible to get the thing on?

IMG_4556.JPG

Last edited:
Here's the back. Thoughts? I'm not normally a fan of the visible zipper thing, but this is very appropriate to the dress and is well done. I think that strong vertical line would also be very slimming and elongating. They actually do make this same shape in a tunic with short sleeves (how cool is that?!). But I want long. Aargh. Do you think I could take out the zipper or would it be impossible to get the thing on?

View attachment 3765264

This is a fabulous dress. I had a seamstress (just a local person who I think is good but not excellent) take a zipper off a dress and put a new one on. She didn't seem phased by it and it came out well. Since this one is so visible I think the trickiest part would be finding the zipper that you want to use. But I'm not a sewer so hopefully some of our more talented members will weigh in.

Here's the back. Thoughts? I'm not normally a fan of the visible zipper thing, but this is very appropriate to the dress and is well done. I think that strong vertical line would also be very slimming and elongating. They actually do make this same shape in a tunic with short sleeves (how cool is that?!). But I want long. Aargh. Do you think I could take out the zipper or would it be impossible to get the thing on?

View attachment 3765264
Is it really worth all that trouble? I think it can be done, but finding the exact length of zipper you need may be very difficult. The only other thing I can think of is taking out the existing zipper and taking off the appropriate amount from the top of it. The zipper stop is at the top, i am presuming, if the pull is at the bottom. Unless there are two pulls. I have jacket that have a top and bottom pull. There still might be a way even with two pulls.

Last edited:
Reactions: lulilu and prepster
Prepster I'm not sure if you saw this but I posted on the Dior thread. When Dior sent my bar jacket back they sent this dress along to try. It's quintessential Dior. I was on the fence about keeping it because it seems so dressy but I tried layering some of my jackets over it and it seems very work appropriate. And perfect for scarf play. It's different than the dkny dress but has similar clean lines.

Did anyone watch the latest season of house of cards? Robin Wright wears some very Dior looking pieces. I'm trying to find info on her wardrobe online.

IMG_1500233422.410946.jpg

Prepster I'm not sure if you saw this but I posted on the Dior thread. When Dior sent my bar jacket back they sent this dress along to try. It's quintessential Dior. I was on the fence about keeping it because it seems so dressy but I tried layering some of my jackets over it and it seems very work appropriate. And perfect for scarf play. It's different than the dkny dress but has similar clean lines.

Did anyone watch the latest season of house of cards? Robin Wright wears some very Dior looking pieces. I'm trying to find info on her wardrobe online.

View attachment 3765293

No, I missed that. Gorgeous! I think it definitely needs to be shortened. I think that's throwing off the proportions. And quite possibly the sleeves just a smidge, maybe a half inch. But I'd have them pin up the hem first, and then look at it. I think you'd get a lifetime of wear--work or dressy.

Is it really worth all that trouble? I think it can be done, but finding the exact length of zipper you need may be very difficult. The only other thing I can think of is taking out the existing zipper and taking off the appropriate amount from the top of it. The zipper stop is at the top, i am presuming, if the pull is at the bottom. Unless there are two pulls. I have jacket that have a top and bottom pull. There still might be a way even with two pulls.

Lol! I know, I thought the same thing--is it worth all that? But here's what I like, that is so ridiculously hard to find: I love the high neck. That makes it chic and modern. I love that it has slim long sleeves with no frou frou or doodads, and a nicely balanced shoulder. I love that it is a heavy "compression" knit, and DK does amazingly nice knits. I like that it is so well shaped. Hair in a low pony tail, put on the dress, done. Scarf tied on for day, take the scarf off and put on dangly earrings for a date. It is so hard to find all of that, especially in a $300 package. So even if she charged me $200 for altering, it's still a pretty cheap dress. All those darts in the back at the waist had me swoony :smile: ... I didn't think about shortening the zip from the top. Brilliant idea.

The more i think about it, it has to have a zipper pull at the top or you are not going to get into the dress. OK, so you may not have to take the zipper out at all. Shorten the dress and then the seamstress over sews the bottom of the zipper and makes a zipper stop. You would not be able to use the zipper from that direction, but would you care? Or take it out and shorten from the top and do the same thing. Does that make sense?

Reactions: lulilu and prepster
No, I missed that. Gorgeous! I think it definitely needs to be shortened. I think that's throwing off the proportions. And quite possibly the sleeves just a smidge, maybe a half inch. But I'd have them pin up the hem first, and then look at it. I think you'd get a lifetime of wear--work or dressy.

Lol! I know, I thought the same thing--is it worth all that? But here's what I like, that is so ridiculously hard to find: I love the high neck. That makes it chic and modern. I love that it has slim long sleeves with no frou frou or doodads, and a nicely balanced shoulder. I love that it is a heavy "compression" knit, and DK does amazingly nice knits. I like that it is so well shaped. Hair in a low pony tail, put on the dress, done. Scarf tied on for day, take the scarf off and put on dangly earrings for a date. It is so hard to find all of that, especially in a $300 package. So even if she charged me $200 for altering, it's still a pretty cheap dress. All those darts in the back at the waist had me swoony :smile: ... I didn't think about shortening the zip from the top. Brilliant idea.

I think replacing my zipper cost $40-50. Definitely worth it. When you see the black dress that Robin wright wears you will know why I thought of it and you will love it.