Unmarried/single women wearing engagement type rings

I embrace the idea, however I am very non traditional. I think that times have changed. I see a lot of diamond solitaries now on women who I personally know are not engaged, and I think it looks great. SO just got me a diamond promise ring. If we suddenly broke up, of course I would still wear it because it's a really pretty ring. (Better to wear things than just have them sit there anyways.) I think bigger, solitaire style diamonds are often misinterpreted as engagement rings and that simply isn't the case. We are in an age now where independent women buy fancy jewelry for themselves and wear it with pride--rings included--so I don't see anything wrong with it. I think the same of myself if many years from now, I never get engaged. Am I never gonna wear my dream ring if I never get married? Absolutely not. Life is too short. Wear what you like.

I rarely visit this sub forum, but just wanted to throw my thoughts in here. A few years ago, I also had a milestone birthday. Happily, it coincided with a work-bonus, so I bought myself a cushion-cut diamond ring. It's not an E-ring, it's a ME-ring :giggle:
I still wear it every day - and still get like very compliments about it. I agree with poster who said buy whatever makes you happy. ❤️

I love this idea & sentiment!!! Buy what you love & what brings you joy. You don't have to wait for someone to buy it for you! If you love the style, wear it & Rock It!!! It's really all about what you want anyway!!

Heyy girlfriend you should totally go for it! That's exactly what I did before I was married. I love diamond rings and couldn't wait for a man to put a ring on me, so I went ahead and bought myself a right-hand middle finger ring. No one ever questioned me if I was engaged or whatnot and most comments were pretty positive.

The only downside to this is that someone who may be interested in you might spot the ring and never approach you. If it is something that will make you happy then like others have said, go for it. Just be aware of what it symbolizes and says to other people.

If she's wearing it on her right hand as she plans I doubt that would be an issue.

Curious to know what you all thought about this. Do you think it looks odd? I have gotten to a point in my life where I don't know if "it" will happen and this is ok with me. I would love to buy myself a nice diamond ring for a milestone birthday this year. And one ring that stands out to me is a diamond cushion cut halo ring. I'd wear the ring on my right hand but do you think that would look funny? I don't want to get questions about are you engaged. At the same time I don't think only engaged women should get to sport a beautiful engagement type ring (and I have nothing against engaged or married women so please don't read into this!). I don't particularly like the look of three stone or other types of diamond rings. But I'm also open to other suggestions for a nice ring. I personally don't like gemstones or anything that is busy.
As Shirley Bassey sang in Diamonds Are Forever, "Diamonds are forever, they are all I need to please me...they won't leave in the night...diamonds never lie to me...diamonds are forever, forever, forever." Buy your ring, wear it, love it! A right hand diamond ring won't stop anyone truly interested in a love connection with you so don't worry about that. And no, it won't look funny, it will look marvelous!

Curious to know what you all thought about this. Do you think it looks odd? I have gotten to a point in my life where I don't know if "it" will happen and this is ok with me. I would love to buy myself a nice diamond ring for a milestone birthday this year. And one ring that stands out to me is a diamond cushion cut halo ring. I'd wear the ring on my right hand but do you think that would look funny? I don't want to get questions about are you engaged. At the same time I don't think only engaged women should get to sport a beautiful engagement type ring (and I have nothing against engaged or married women so please don't read into this!). I don't particularly like the look of three stone or other types of diamond rings. But I'm also open to other suggestions for a nice ring. I personally don't like gemstones or anything that is busy.

I see no problem with this. You are wearing it on your right hand so I don't see why anyone would ask if you were engaged. I think you should get the ring!

Reactions: kate2828
I don't think wearing a cushion cut diamond ring on your right ring finger would look strange. That's a beautiful cut. I think it would also look awesome on your middle finger of either hand. I agree with others who have voiced "wear what makes you happy" Life is short, enjoy :smile:

Reactions: kate2828 and Graw
I wore my grandmother's 3ct diamond solitaire on my right hand before I got married. I got lots of questions - and compliments - on it, and I intentionally kept my left hand empty because I was dating my now-husband and wanted no confusion. It's rarely worn now that I'm married and writing this makes me think it needs a turn out of the box!

I would not wear it. You will look like a divorced woman who wants to wear her ring because it's one of the nice pieces of jewelry she has. I know that sounds bad and harsh but that is how it will look. And I know, everyone says who cares what other people think, but the reality is we do care which is why we are on a forum to get ideas and feedback.

I would buy a nice gorgeous ring, but with a different look. A gorgeous cocktail size ring. Then you will look like a successful classy lady.

Reactions: baghagg and Julide